Vinyl Me Please Classics

This is great! Only one I maybe want - Trident - will have to take a listen to my japanese pressing to decide if I'm even in on that.

Trident is a fantastic record.
agree...but its still a $5 record, maybe this will change that...if you've got a first press Japanese juice probably isn't worth the squeeze

agree...but its still a $5 record, maybe this will change that...if you've got a first press Japanese juice probably isn't worth the squeeze
LOL, my Japanese pressing is a $13 record, friend.

I'm just listening to it now. It is pretty damn fine. But I might dip anyways, this is a really favorite record to me, and has memories back in the day.

I know people rag on Wynton and his views, but I just listened to Black Codes after not listening to it in like maybe 15 years. Putting aside our thoughts on Wynton and his views, this is a good record. Standout track is “Chambers of Tain” which has drummer Jeff “Tain” Watts letting loose. With the exception of Ron Carter on one track, we should view this record for what it is and what it was at the time, just some young guys in their 20s cutting a straight ahead jazz record. That’s not such a bad thing, despite the conservative nature of the bandleader and his brother.

I've always loved Black Codes. Those early Wynton records are all great, as are the Blakey records from the era. I was getting into jazz at the same time as these records were coming out, so they mean a lot to me (mind you, probably not as much as Maiden Voyage, Red Clay, I.O.U. or Romantic Warrior, which I also got into contemporaneously). Is this worth $36 plus Chicago tax? I'm not so sure.

NOTE: I actually am in Godfather 3 mode right now - I am so angry at myself for rejoining VMP because I wanted Trident and the Spiritual Jazz records. Damn them to hell.

I've always loved Black Codes. Those early Wynton records are all great, as are the Blakey records from the era. I was getting into jazz at the same time as these records were coming out, so they mean a lot to me (mind you, probably not as much as Maiden Voyage, Red Clay, I.O.U. or Romantic Warrior, which I also got into contemporaneously). Is this worth $36 plus Chicago tax? I'm not so sure.

NOTE: I actually am in Godfather 3 mode right now - I am so angry at myself for rejoining VMP because I wanted Trident and the Spiritual Jazz records. Damn them to hell.
Speaking of Trident, has it shipped yet?

I managed to buy a cheap OG the other day so it will be a fun comparison once the VMP arrives

I wouldn’t mind a VMP reissue of Wynton’s Hot House Flowers. His tone there is basically perfect. That said, it’s hard to justify VMP prices for these, but they are indeed great records.

Back