Vinyl Me Please Classics

July: Archie Shepp (There's a Trumpet in My Soul) or McCoy Tyner (Trident or maybe Atlantis)
Either way, a deep cut hidden gem from one of these masters.

August: Wynton Marsalis - Black Codes (From the Underground)
Wynton is a jerk, but this album is fantastic. Arguably the best jazz album of the 80s not by someone named John Zorn.

September: Hound Dog Taylor - Natural Boogie
Most fun Classics RotM ever. I would guess this will sellout fast.
Thank you for the list my friend!

This Wynton is quite nice so far! Never listened to anything by him, might have to dip in for this.

Now that I say that though, I don't know if this album is worth $50

August: Wynton Marsalis - Black Codes (From the Underground)
Wynton is a jerk, but this album is fantastic. Arguably the best jazz album of the 80s not by someone named John Zorn.

A+ will listen to the wynton album just for the description

Thank you for the list my friend!

This Wynton is quite nice so far! Never listened to anything by him, might have to dip in for this.

Now that I say that though, I don't know if this album is worth $50

That Wynton album sounds like a top tier Miles Davis 2nd Quintet album. Which is purposeful as they are Marsalis' platonic ideal of what a perfect jazz combo should sound like. Now whether art should stay fixed in amber and just be replicated (or constantly evolve and try for new heights) is a whole different philosophical debate, but that album sounds awesome.

Yeah, the cost is crazy. My "workaround" for the high cost of VMP was I know I want to order the Impulse! anthology, so I got a six month (International) sub, took the three bonus albums, and I just swap for credit every month and add on the 1 or 2 titles I want, and then they are only $36. And when the Impulse! set is finally up for order in July I should have almost enough credit to cover it.

That Wynton album sounds like a top tier Miles Davis 2nd Quintet album. Which is purposeful as they are Marsalis' platonic ideal of what a perfect jazz combo should sound like. Now whether art should stay fixed in amber and just be replicated (or constantly evolve and try for new heights) is a whole different philosophical debate, but that album sounds awesome.

Yeah, the cost is crazy. My "workaround" for the high cost of VMP was I know I want to order the Impulse! anthology, so I got a six month (International) sub, took the three bonus albums, and I just swap for credit every month and add on the 1 or 2 titles I want, and then they are only $36. And when the Impulse! set is finally up for order in July I should have almost enough credit to cover it.
I am also doing this. The Miles anthology killed my store credit so I'm rebuilding it the same way.

Has VMP disclosed or anyone figured out what’s going to be in the anthology? Should we assume the AAA (or similar) quality that they’ve done w/ many Classics? I know pressing plant is an issue bc it will be VMP’s new plant (right?) so I’m considering that a wild card.

Has VMP disclosed or anyone figured out what’s going to be in the anthology? Should we assume the AAA (or similar) quality that they’ve done w/ many Classics? I know pressing plant is an issue bc it will be VMP’s new plant (right?) so I’m considering that a wild card.
AAA and impulse is hard to confirm before knowing titles and what may have been lost in the fire.

Has VMP disclosed or anyone figured out what’s going to be in the anthology?

Official announcement this month (next week I think).

1961 - John Coltrane Africa / Brass
1963 - ??
1964 - Charles Mingus Plays Piano^
1964 - Johnny Hartman I Just Dropped by to Say Hello*
1965 - Gabor Szabo Gypsy 66+
1967 - Mel Brown Chicken Fat
1969 - Pharoah Sanders Karma
1970 - Alice Coltrane Ptah

+ High confidence * Assumption ^ Could also be Mingusx5

Official announcement this month (next week I think).

1961 - John Coltrane Africa / Brass
1963 - ??
1964 - Charles Mingus Plays Piano^
1964 - Johnny Hartman I Just Dropped by to Say Hello*
1965 - Gabor Szabo Gypsy 66+
1967 - Mel Brown Chicken Fat
1969 - Pharoah Sanders Karma
1970 - Alice Coltrane Ptah

+ High confidence * Assumption ^ Could also be Mingusx5

Mingus Plays Piano would be the ideal pick. Lots of folks are already gonna be doubling up on Karma, don't need to do so with Mingusx5 too! AS has already done a great job with those ones.

They are not all AAA. I believe Ptah is from digital and one side of Karma is from digital. Not 100% sure about the others. Maybe it’s naivety but I have some high hopes for the VMP plant based on who’s involved in it.

All are cut by RKS too, which is strange because he also cut the VBR series with a few of the same titles. Think he did Karma too right?

I’m more excited for the spiritual jazz capsule collection than the impulse anthology at this point even though we don’t know what’s in it. Side note: I told them to reissue Gary Bartz’ Another Earth and have been told they are working on trying to make it happen

I have to chime in that I like Wynton. I’m sure I’ve missed some comments that piss everyone off somewhere but I like his music and I like his role as elder statesman keeping the traditions viable and in the conversation. I actually find Brandon’s comments more concerning with nonsense like “Kamasi ain’t Jazz” bullshit. I like his music too but find his conservatism especially given his career less palatable.

I have to chime in that I like Wynton. I’m sure I’ve missed some comments that piss everyone off somewhere but I like his music and I like his role as elder statesman keeping the traditions viable and in the conversation. I actually find Brandon’s comments more concerning with nonsense like “Kamasi ain’t Jazz” bullshit. I like his music too but find his conservatism especially given his career less palatable.
Where do you think Branford has gotten it from? Wynton has made similar comments about tons of people. When Bitches Brew came out, Wynton compared Miles to “a general who has betrayed his country.” He says free jazz and fusion aren’t jazz. There’s a reason why nearly everyone in the jazz industry hates Wynton. He’s a talented guy but he’s a gatekeeper who has done more to hurt and stifle jazz than he has to nurture it and help it grow and reach a new generation

He’s a talented guy but he’s a gatekeeper who has done more to hurt and stifle jazz than he has to nurture it and help it grow and reach a new generation
This is how I feel as well.

I dont have any of his albums but have heard his music and there is no doubt that he is talented and should be commended for keeping the early style alive BUT there is absolutely no need to do so whilst blasting any other jazz style along the way. If anything, this puts people off listening to his music, it does with me anyway.

Where do you think Branford has gotten it from? Wynton has made similar comments about tons of people. When Bitches Brew came out, Wynton compared Miles to “a general who has betrayed his country.” He says free jazz and fusion aren’t jazz. There’s a reason why nearly everyone in the jazz industry hates Wynton. He’s a talented guy but he’s a gatekeeper who has done more to hurt and stifle jazz than he has to nurture it and help it grow and reach a new generation

I dont have any of his albums but have heard his music and there is no doubt that he is talented and should be commended for keeping the early style alive BUT there is absolutely no need to do so whilst blasting any other jazz style along the way. If anything, this puts people off listening to his music, it does with me anyway.

Never understood those "old" musicians who hate "young" musicians for being modern. Before listening to music that is not on the radio, I had to listen to the radio and make my own path. From there, I started expanding my taste and now I can listen to almost every kind of music.

If people enjoy Kamasi Washington music and want to listen to similar music, at some point they'll listen to the "classic" jazz like it was made before. If they don't start somewhere, they won't go anywhere.

Never understood those "old" musicians who hate "young" musicians for being modern. Before listening to music that is not on the radio, I had to listen to the radio and make my own path. From there, I started expanding my taste and now I can listen to almost every kind of music.

If people enjoy Kamasi Washington music and want to listen to similar music, at some point they'll listen to the "classic" jazz like it was made before. If they don't start somewhere, they won't go anywhere.
Wynton started this BS when _he_ was young.

I agree with all of this.
I'm glad I got to see him perform (on someone else's dime), but ultimately:

Wynton is a twat

Back