Vinyl Me Please Classics

So are we pretty certain the April Classics is Boogaloo Joe Jones' "No Way"? I'm liking what I hear on the preview and the swaps preview doesn't have anything that stands out to me, so I'm thinking I'll be keeping this one.

It fits all the clues, and putting out a Jazz Dispensary type release in April for 4/20 makes a lot of sense (last year we got Willie Nelson and MIA-Kala in April). The Doug Sahm in Country for April fits that stoner country vibe too.

It fits all the clues, and putting out a Jazz Dispensary type release in April for 4/20 makes a lot of sense (last year we got Willie Nelson and MIA-Kala in April). The Doug Sahm in Country for April fits that stoner country vibe too.
I never even made a 4/20 connection with last year's Essentials and Country April picks, heh.

So other than @Mather getting the typical salad bowl, what is the consensus of GZ doing Classics now? Depending on the next 3 months of Classics I might hop back on board if the jazz ones look good

Could be they have a higher level of QA for classics, or that there's less being pressed, or even just good luck. I've yet to spin Modest Mouse but last I checked the discog reviews are pretty good so maybe it's even GZ getting their shit together.
VMP said not long after the Public Enemy fiasco they got together with GZ and believed they resolved whatever the issue was in the pressing process that had been affecting their records. And to their credit, I don't think any widespread issues have been reported since then. My Hell Hath No Fury is GZ-pressed for example and sounds fantastic.

So I'm cautiously optimistic that Classics won't see a dip in quality. Also as a reminder VMP never said GZ would be pressing all Classics going forward. It's very possible that some -- or even all -- of the upcoming Classics releases weren't done at GZ. We'll find out tomorrow I guess.

So I'm cautiously optimistic that Classics won't see a dip in quality. Also as a reminder VMP never said GZ would be pressing all Classics going forward. It's very possible that some -- or even all -- of the upcoming Classics releases weren't done at GZ. We'll find out tomorrow I guess.
Plus they did the first year or so of Classics. GZ can do good pressings, but when they have a large order and tight time frame that is when it seems QC is tossed out for expediency

So other than @Mather getting the typical salad bowl, what is the consensus of GZ doing Classics now? Depending on the next 3 months of Classics I might hop back on board if the jazz ones look good
Got mine yesterday, it sounded great but perhaps a bit dirty. I actually had two loud pops through out my listen, going to clean it tonight and request a replacement if they’re still there

Got mine yesterday, it sounded great but perhaps a bit dirty. I actually had two loud pops through out my listen, going to clean it tonight and request a replacement if they’re still there
Oh it's definitely dirty. I had to do quite a bit of cleanup before putting it on.

Back