Vinyl Me Please Classics

I'd be surprised if a Classics ROTM ended up being a Black Jazz title, since Real Gone Music has been reissuing the entire Black Jazz catalogue on their own. I can't see them making one of their titles available only through VMP, even if it was a temporary amount of time before a wider release.

Edit: the Blue Note exclusives were never offered together as a bundle. By the time the Donald Byrd record was released, Eddie Gale and I think Johnny Griffin were both long gone from the store. Charlie Rouse did stick around for a while...

I'd be surprised if a Classics ROTM ended up being a Black Jazz title, since Real Gone Music has been reissuing the entire Black Jazz catalogue on their own. I can't see them making one of their titles available only through VMP, even if it was a temporary amount of time before a wider release.
It's almost certainly not going to be for the reasons you said. Real Gone secured the rights to release the full catalogue (20 from the initial run plus 1 from 2001), although there has also been a few exclusive coloured pressings of some of them (VMP, Rough Trade, etc).

I don't have all of them but the 8 reissues that I have got so far sound great. Really affordable as well.

Edit: the Blue Note exclusives were never offered together as a bundle. By the time the Donald Byrd record was released, Eddie Gale and I think Johnny Griffin were both long gone from the store. Charlie Rouse did stick around for a while...
Black Jazz is fully released at this point. I think the only album they did not release was the last Doug Carn.

My money is on it being a Bethlehem title. Duke Ellington Presents... is my guess.

y'all know what else is from 1971.....

Herbie_Mann_Push_Push_album.jpg

Damn, if they did this I would have to rejoin. Especially if it was a BoomBoom pressing
In addition to the iconic male nudity on the cover It’s a surprisingly funky album. My Pop only had two “Jazz” albums in his collection. This and Quincy Jones Ndeda.

It feels like Push Push was a primary inspiration for Ron Burgundy.

In addition to the iconic male nudity on the cover It’s a surprisingly funky album. My Pop only had two “Jazz” albums in his collection. This and Quincy Jones Ndeda.

It feels like Push Push was a primary inspiration for Ron Burgundy.
it's not all that bad an album haha. And actually has a pretty killer backing band. Bernard Purdie is on it and so is Duane Allman. And Donald "Duck" Dunne on bass who is pretty much on every Stax album.

edit: also YES. heavy ron burgandy vibes.

Last edited:
With the new set of clues, it appears we will get these three:

Boogaloo Joe Jones - No Way! (Prestige)
Here is Phineas - Phineas Newborn Jr. (Atlantic)
Wanted: One Soul Singer - Johnnie Taylor (Stax)

Bernard Purdie is on drums for the Jones album.

Last edited:

Here is Phineas - Phineas Newborn, Jr. (Atlantic)

Purdie also played drums on Push Push

200.gif

I don't think he would give the clue as guitar jazz-funk if it was a flute player as the leader. Also not his 5th album.

Here is Phineas - Phineas Newborn Jr. (Atlantic)

and back in for Phineas. Cool story time: In college getting into jazz, as we have a local pianist hero here, Donald Brown, who taught a few jazz classes at UTK, including jazz history. So dude played in some Art Blakey groups and one winter did a gig in town called 5 for Phineas. They popped the lids on 5 concert grands and circled them on stage and went to fucking town. When I took DB's jazz class and dropped that 5 for Phineas shit, he always remembered me.

Back