Vinyl Me Please Classics

why do the coleman hawkins audiophile reissues not have the correct cover art

aka why did mofi have the wrong cover

Last edited:
why do the coleman hawkins audiophile reissues not have the correct cover art

aka why did mofi have the wrong cover
Which ones? I know the Hawk Flies is an edited version of the original (removed the background for the bolder yellow and edited the levels of the hawk/sax element). Not sure why they did that though, I guess to define their release a bit more or something.

Dreams arrived here in the UK and it sounds really good, especially the percussion. I am hearing quite a bit of, what I assume, is tape hiss. Just wanted to check it’s not just my copy. Cheers all.

Dreams arrived here in the UK and it sounds really good, especially the percussion. I am hearing quite a bit of, what I assume, is tape hiss. Just wanted to check it’s not just my copy. Cheers all.
Don't see any reports of that on Cogs (mind you Cogs reviews are nigh on useless so....) Mines on the way I'll report back about any hiss.

Gábor Szabó - Dreams and Kellee Patterson's - Maiden Voyage arrived today and John Lee Hooker - It Serve You Right To Suffer arrived yesterday. Have to say that the package of Dreams is just stunning, way better than the Maiden Voyage for example. Really excited to dig in, I just hope they sound as good as they look!

Edit: Just seen about the tape hiss though....I spoke too soon

Gábor Szabó - Dreams and Kellee Patterson's - Maiden Voyage arrived today and John Lee Hooker - It Serve You Right To Suffer arrived yesterday. Have to say that the package of Dreams is just stunning, way better than the Maiden Voyage for example. Really excited to dig in, I just hope they sound as good as they look!

Edit: Just seen about the tape hiss though....I spoke too soon

Tape hiss unavoidable I reckon with it coming from source. It’s still sounds ace regardless.

Just gave Dreams a full listen through. Firstly, I love the pick. I wasn't familiar with the album until this and I just think its a great pick, certainly a unique release in the Classics run.

In terms of the sound its not tape hiss I am hearing as much as the album being cut hot. Still, fantastic release and im really glad they chose the album!

Just gave Dreams a full listen through. Firstly, I love the pick. I wasn't familiar with the album until this and I just think its a great pick, certainly a unique release in the Classics run.

In terms of the sound its not tape hiss I am hearing as much as the album being cut hot. Still, fantastic release and im really glad they chose the album!
My box just shipped today so I’m really excited to give this one a listen! This is my favourite Classics pick of 2020! Apart from the tape hiss sound, I’m very happy to know the pressing sound amazing too! 😇

I also wasn’t familiar with Dreams as well before VMP made it a Classics ROTM! Really grateful to have discovered this masterpiece through them! 🙏

I know we were discussing this album back in the Albert King debates, but the Speakers Corner pressing of Born Under a Bad Sign (all analog) appears to be in stock at Acoustic Sounds:

How is this version? Stereo right? I don’t remember all of the details but I think I heard the mono release was the one to get for this album.

How is this version? Stereo right? I don’t remember all of the details but I think I heard the mono release was the one to get for this album.
If you like the stereo mix, it is supposed to be a great pressing. I wish Craft would do a wide release of the RSD mono as I would prefer that, so I don't have a copy of this album yet.

My box just shipped today so I’m really excited to give this one a listen! This is my favourite Classics pick of 2020! Apart from the tape hiss sound, I’m very happy to know the pressing sound amazing too! 😇

I also wasn’t familiar with Dreams as well before VMP made it a Classics ROTM! Really grateful to have discovered this masterpiece through them! 🙏
Was this one free too? 😁

Tape hiss is sometimes inevitable coming from an AAA source. I noticed it on the AAA 'A Love Supreme' that just came out too. I really don't find it distracting unless its super loud, and this new copy of ALS sounds much better than my old copy sourced from high res digital, so to me its a fair trade.

There is definitely some hiss on Dreams but damn does this record sound great! I forget if I am in the minority or not, but I love all of these AAA jazz releases they have been doing.

Tape hiss is sometimes inevitable coming from an AAA source. I noticed it on the AAA 'A Love Supreme' that just came out too. I really don't find it distracting unless its super loud, and this new copy of ALS sounds much better than my old copy sourced from high res digital, so to me its a fair trade.

There is definitely some hiss on Dreams but damn does this record sound great! I forget if I am in the minority or not, but I love all of these AAA jazz releases they have been doing.
Agree. Tape hiss or not, it is a brilliant listen.

Back