Vinyl Me Please Classics

It serve you right to get a restock

Limited pressing you say... Only one run you say...

Good stuff though. Let the people play!

They know they can get easy money off new subscribers if they bring back things that were previously sold out pressings but now charge a lot more for them. I filled most of the holes in my subs through Discogs or Ebay. If I hadn't and were still a member, I'd be tempted for sure.

Last edited:
Is the pressing any good of this? Wasn't this before they started taking pressing/mastering quality seriously?

I seem to recall it being unanimously well regarded. It’s a Kevin Gray master but not sure where it was pressed. GZ maybe? I think the early Classics were GZ.
Thanks! I might have to swap for it if I can. I remember being disappointed that some of the early classics were GZ DMM, glad it wasn't this case for this one, which I believe was gone before I joined.

My guesses

Oct - 1968 - Albert Ayler - Love Cry (Impulse!)
Nov - 1957 - Chet Baker - Big Band (Pacific Jazz)
Dec - 1970 - Brook Benton - Today (Cotillion/Atlantic)
The thing with those guesses is whether or not that's anything that will make people ignore the drastic price hikes. Logic would suggest that following a price hike they would bring straight fire that would appeal to lots of "Classics" people. I could be wrong, because VMP, but my expectation is that we will see some more household names. Especially because this is the first time they have announced three months in a row for Classics.

I could see the Chet Baker, but I think they'll have bigger names probably. Seems to be their MO lately — big name artists' lesser popular/hidden gem type albums.

Maybe it'll be Don Cherry's Eternal Rhythm for the 1968 one. That's a pretty landmark LP, I don't think it's gotten a reissue either. Recorded in '68, released in '69 though.

I could see the Chet Baker, but I think they'll have bigger names probably. Seems to be their MO lately — big name artists' lesser popular/hidden gem type albums.
I agree with this. Chet is having a bit of a spike in popularity lately with a lot of reissues. It does seem like they choose an artist with name recognition and then look them up on discogs to see the last US reissue and then find a title they can afford to license. That’s why we are getting the lesser known “gems” which aren’t always gems.

I agree with this. Chet is having a bit of a spike in popularity lately with a lot of reissues. It does seem like they choose an artist with name recognition and then look them up on discogs to see the last US reissue and then find a title they can afford to license. That’s why we are getting the lesser known “gems” which aren’t always gems.
I would really like to see Chet Baker’s Playboys get reissued. That’s a great album. Conflicting if it was actually released in ‘56 or ‘57 though.

I would really like to see Chet Baker’s Playboys get reissued. That’s a great album. Conflicting if it was actually released in ‘56 or ‘57 though.
Doubt they would do it with the cover unless there’s an alternative one I’m not aware of. I know there’s the “pictures of heath” cover but I’d want the OG cover...

Doubt they would do it with the cover unless there’s an alternative one I’m not aware of. I know there’s the “pictures of heath” cover but I’d want the OG cover...
I don't know if an agreement was ever reached, so they might get sued for using the title/typeface. Sorry, but that cover is terrible cheese anyway.

I have no idea about the master tape situation with it or why it has never been reissued , but Sabu’s Palo Congo would certainly be a homerun pick for the 1957 jazz album
Hell this would be a killer pick. Long out of print as well, I think the 90's was when it had its last vinyl reissue. Its been on my want list for years, so I would gladly get a Classics pressing of it.

Back