Vinyl Me Please Classics

i think the chances of it being machine gun are super low... i mean it would lead me (voted 3 years in a row to be the least interested in jazz if just because my dad cant stop playing nat king cole and sinatra) to want to subscribe because i like the surreal and loud and probably painful free jazz

After it was pretty confirmed that we are not getting Curtis Mayfield's Curtis as the 1970 Classics ROTM, I went to go look at that Boxset @Mather was talking about! I have Curtis and Roots on vinyl, but both sound average/nothing special! And I although I know MoFi won't be doing 2xLP 45RPM pressings of his catalogue, I want to upgrade those two average pressings I have!

The Keepin' On boxset you're talking about Mather can be found for really good prices! I found a copy for only $100! And these 2019 pressings were cut by Bernie Grundman, so I can i5magine them sounding much better than the pressings I have! So happy you brought the Curtis boxset to my attention! I love Curtis Mayfield's albums from 1970-1974, so this is perfect! And the AUD$100 price on top is 👍

Makes me realise I do really like Boxsets when they are done really well! The Chic Organisation boxset @Wicked Dreamer is really good! The pressings sound better than the Friday Music pressings I had, and even those sounded pretty good! But these Atlantic Chic boxset pressings are very clear, crisp and have so much life to them! Makes me very excited to receive the Sade boxset soon as it sounds very promising going by the Half-Speed mastering details (and the band working closely with the remastering too)!
Amazon.de has the curtis box for 58€. You could check if that would come out better with shipping to Australia

Seems like the sub is due for one. There's lots from Jimmy Smith, Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley, Horace Silver (Anthology artist), Sonny Clark, etc. that had 1957 releases.
I've had my fingers crossed for a Lee Morgan Classics for ages. Im very very close to owning all his albums as lead, so if they were to choose one I didn't have that would be all the better!

1957 was a big year for vinyl LPs, wasn't it? Labels were busy building catalogs with reissues and new recordings. With so many intriguing possibilities, it will be very difficult for storfster to swing and miss. With bebop/hardbop out with Sonny Rollins covering the area, I think we will get a swing or cool jazz album from this year.

I've had my fingers crossed for a Lee Morgan Classics for ages. Im very very close to owning all his albums as lead, so if they were to choose one I didn't have that would be all the better!
I've just cancelled with vmp and instantly felt a sense of relief, like a weight had been lifted 😁 I'm just hoping that 1957 album is something that's not too essential, the thought of a Lee Morgan ROTM would be agonising!

I've just cancelled with vmp and instantly felt a sense of relief, like a weight had been lifted 😁 I'm just hoping that 1957 album is something that's not too essential, the thought of a Lee Morgan ROTM would be agonising!
He honestly had a fascinating life and died too early. He was entering his 'post addiction' phase when he passed, just think what Coltrane achieved during that phase of his life, and we could have had some fantastic music from Morgan had he survived. I would love a decently written booklet on a Lee Morgan album.

Give me a shout if you think it is and I'll try to grab it for you

He honestly had a fascinating life and died too early. He was entering his 'post addiction' phase when he passed, just think what Coltrane achieved during that phase of his life, and we could have had some fantastic music from Morgan had he survived. I would love a decently written booklet on a Lee Morgan album.
True, I had no idea about his story until I saw the Netflix movie, which I thought was a fascinating insight. I'm still quite a jazz novice despite having around 100 jazz albums, and still need to listen to more of Lee Morgan's work. Was thinking of spending a few weeks just listening to every album of his in chronological order, as there's so much I still need to hear!

True, I had no idea about his story until I saw the Netflix movie, which I thought was a fascinating insight. I'm still quite a jazz novice despite having around 100 jazz albums, and still need to listen to more of Lee Morgan's work. Was thinking of spending a few weeks just listening to every album of his in chronological order, as there's so much I still need to hear!
Its such a diverse discography, a great one to listen through for sure.

From his early days with the Dizzy Gillespie group, the Hard Bop collaborations with Hank Mobley, on to his stronger Hard Bop sessions as lead (The Cooker etc), the success of the swinging The Sidewinder (Blue Note's highest-selling record), the mysterious and atmospheric Search For A New Land, oddities such as Delightfulee (where he performs a Beatles track), bluesy numbers such as Speedball (from The Gigalo), modal attacks such as Caramba! and powerful live sessions (Live At The Lighthouse).

Anyway, he's my favourite jazz musician and there's plenty in his discography to sink your teeth into. That's before you even look at his personal life and all the crazy stories associated with it!

Its such a diverse discography, a great one to listen through for sure.

From his early days with the Dizzy Gillespie group, the Hard Bop collaborations with Hank Mobley, on to his stronger Hard Bop sessions as lead (The Cooker etc), the success of the swinging The Sidewinder (Blue Note's highest-selling record), the mysterious and atmospheric Search For A New Land, oddities such as Delightfulee (where he performs a Beatles track), bluesy numbers such as Speedball (from The Gigalo), modal attacks such as Caramba! and powerful live sessions (Live At The Lighthouse).

Anyway, he's my favourite jazz musician and there's plenty in his discography to sink your teeth into. That's before you even look at his personal life and all the crazy stories associated with it!
Some great albums getting mentioned there, also love his work as a side man, particularly with Art Blakey as well as the Blue Train album with Coltrane. Without doubt a very gifted musician whom I need to learn a lot more about.

Some great albums getting mentioned there, also love his work as a side man, particularly with Art Blakey as well as the Blue Train album with Coltrane. Without doubt a very gifted musician whom I need to learn a lot more about.
These 3 books are all very good. The middle one was written before the documentary was made (its taken from the same interview tapes you hear in the doc).
IMG_2127.JPG

Last edited:
Wow! Lee Morgan is your #1 favourite jazz musician!!! 🤯👏👏👏🎺

What are your top 5 jazz musicians in order!? I’m really curious to know! I really thought Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk or Bill Evans was going to be your #1 favourite!
Really tricky to rank them to be honest. The reason I cite Morgan as my favourite is because his music is so diverse and I always seem to enjoy hearing him.

Davis, Mingus, Monk and Evans are all fantastic and definitely up there for me. But there's also Grant Green, Jackie McLean, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Hank Mobley, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Archie Shepp, Donald Byrd........the list goes on and on.

Then on top of all those you have the contemporary musicians, Nubya Garcia, Shabaka Hutchins, Sheila Maurice Grey, Matthew Halsall, Tenderlonious, Makaya McCraven, Shirley Tetteh, Cassie Kinoshi, Joel Ross........

Great time for killer jazz for sure.

Who are your favourites @NathanRicaud?

It serve you right to get a restock

It serves you right to get a restock

so thats how i blew my final 8 $ credit, i think at 26$ this is a solid way to be done with them.
not been a member since November but its been dragging on with replacements and refunds and all that...

Back