Curtis
Pickett - Right On
Temptations - Psych Shack
Supremes - Right On, New Ways...
Booker T - McLemore Ave
James Brown - Soul on Top
Delphonics
Isaac Hayes - Movement, To Be Continued

Not a lot of guesses really. RIP Inflated Tear.

Last edited:
Guesses from the two reddit threads on the most recent clue:

'57:
Basie at Newport
Lambert, Hendricks and Ross - Sing Song Of Basie
Sinatra - Swinging Affair
Tito Puente - Top Percussion
Lateef - Jazz Mood
Mingus - Tijuana Moods
Monk - Brilliant Corners

'68:
Jimmy Smith - Open House
Brötzmann - Machine Gun
RRK - The Inflated Tear, Left & Right
Jaki Byard - The Experience (prob 69?)
Horace Silver - Serenade to a Soul Sister
Coltrane - Om

'70:
Curtis
Pickett - Right On
Temptations - Psych Shack
Supremes - Right On, New Ways...
Booker T - McLemore Ave
James Brown - Soul on Top
Delphonics
Isaac Hayes - Movement, To Be Continued

Not a lot of guesses really. RIP Inflated Tear.
I know it’s quite unlikely because Classics usually gets the AAA treatment, but I really want the 1970 Classics ROTM to be Minnie Riperton’s Come To My Garden! That would be an amazing pick!

My hope for some Milt Jackson remains alive. Seriously, look at that lineup on School Days (57) or that great mix of sounds with the Hip String Quartet (68).

Seems like the sub is due for one. There's lots from Jimmy Smith, Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley, Horace Silver (Anthology artist), Sonny Clark, etc. that had 1957 releases.
I just don’t see any hard bop release being one of the jazz albums since the Sonny Rollins one is that. Maybe the 1968 one? Lots of fusion and avant garde stuff in that era.

After it was pretty confirmed that we are not getting Curtis Mayfield's Curtis as the 1970 Classics ROTM, I went to go look at that Boxset @Mather was talking about! I have Curtis and Roots on vinyl, but both sound average/nothing special! And I although I know MoFi won't be doing 2xLP 45RPM pressings of his catalogue, I want to upgrade those two average pressings I have!

The Keepin' On boxset you're talking about Mather can be found for really good prices! I found a copy for only $100! And these 2019 pressings were cut by Bernie Grundman, so I can imagine them sounding much better than the pressings I have! So happy you brought the Curtis boxset to my attention! I love Curtis Mayfield's albums from 1970-1974, so this is perfect! And the AUD$100 price on top is 👍

Makes me realise I do really like Boxsets when they are done really well! The Chic Organisation boxset @Wicked Dreamer is really good! The pressings sound better than the Friday Music pressings I had, and even those sounded pretty good! But these Atlantic Chic boxset pressings are very clear, crisp and have so much life to them! Makes me very excited to receive the Sade boxset soon as it sounds very promising going by the Half-Speed mastering details (and the band working closely with the remastering too)!

So, although I still think I'd be happy if VMP made Curtis Mayfield's Curtis a Classics ROTM in the future, I'd rather them not, and do something else! I'm also hoping the 1970 Classics ROTM isn't Donny Hathaway's Everything is Everything as Speakers Corner very recently reissued that album, and is sounds great! It's my favourite Speakers Corner releases along with Bill Withers' Just As I Am and Albert King's Born Under a Bad Sign!

Very very excited to see what the 1970 Classics Soul ROTM is! I do actually have hope it is Minnie Riperton because VMP's Twitter tweeted back at some Minnie Riperton's albums on vinyl!

After it was pretty confirmed that we are not getting Curtis Mayfield's Curtis as the 1970 Classics ROTM, I went to go look at that Boxset @Mather was talking about! I have Curtis and Roots on vinyl, but both sound average/nothing special! And I although I know MoFi won't be doing 2xLP 45RPM pressings of his catalogue, I want to upgrade those two average pressings I have!

The Keepin' On boxset you're talking about Mather can be found for really good prices! I found a copy for only $100! And these 2019 pressings were cut by Bernie Grundman, so I can imagine them sounding much better than the pressings I have! So happy you brought the Curtis boxset to my attention! I love Curtis Mayfield's albums from 1970-1974, so this is perfect! And the AUD$100 price on top is 👍

Makes me realise I do really like Boxsets when they are done really well! The Chic Organisation boxset @Wicked Dreamer is really good! The pressings sound better than the Friday Music pressings I had, and even those sounded pretty good! But these Atlantic Chic boxset pressings are very clear, crisp and have so much life to them! Makes me very excited to receive the Sade boxset soon as it sounds very promising going by the Half-Speed mastering details (and the band working closely with the remastering too)!
Do you have recent pressings of those 2? I have original/vintage pressings of most of his solo work and am pretty happy with them. Curtis is my favorite singer/songwriter and I’m looking at that box set also as my copy of Sweet Exorcist is pretty rinked.

Also if you don’t have Curtis / Live! yet, get it! It’s probably my favorite album of his, even more than his studio albums. It feels like such an intimate show, makes you wish you were there.

Do you have recent pressings of those 2? I have original/vintage pressings of most of his solo work and am pretty happy with them. Curtis is my favorite singer/songwriter and I’m looking at that box set also as my copy of Sweet Exorcist is pretty rinked.

Also if you don’t have Curtis / Live! yet, get it! It’s probably my favorite album of his, even more than his studio albums. It feels like such an intimate show, makes you wish you were there.
With Curtis, I think I have a 2014 or 2015 European pressing. I got the album around 2-3 years ago, and for Roots, I'm not sure what pressing I have, but it's pretty bad! I definitely need to replace the Roots pressing I have, it doesn't sound good! I remember it being 180g though!

Superfly is definitely my Favourite Curtis Mayfield because it's got the rich, luxurious, expensive, detector, sensual sound! It might actually be my favourite album of 1972, and that's saying a lot because you had David Bowie, Stevie Wonder, Miles Davis, Al Green, Bill Withers, Herbie Hancock and Can! Even Novos Baianos released that masterpiece of an album in 1972! After spinning the VMP pressing of Acabou Chorare, it became one of my faves of 1972! But yeah, Curtis Mayfield's Superfly is #1 for me from 1972! I love that album immensely and the MoFi 2xLP 45RPM pressing sounds incredibly good!

I actually haven't heard Curtis Mayfield's Live! I've only heard Curtis Mayfield's first 3 albums + Sweet Exorcist! I haven't heard Back To The World, but I do know and long the song 'Right On For The Darkness', as it's one of my favourite Curtis Mayfield songs of all time! When I heard the start of that song, I instantly recognised that Mase's song "What You Want (feat. Total)" - one of my favourite songs by him - sampled that songs with the guitars! I fell in love! Back To The World is in the boxset, so it's really a no-brainer, especially if the four albums were cut by Bernie Grundman and pressed at Optimal!

I'm going to check out Curtis / Live! soon though! I am sure I will love it! Thanks for the recommendation! 🤝

Back