Vinyl Me Please Classics

According to Discogs, 1957.

John Coltrane - Blue Train
Discogs is frequently wrong based off of the copyright date. The wikipedia article has this source which seems to show Jan '58.

Of course Storf has been wrong several times on this exact issue, so I don't think that alone necessarily disqualifies it.

View attachment 65454
Recorded on the 15th September, 1957 and released in January 1958.

As mentioned though, the Discogs listing shows it at 1957 and we know VMP use discogs to gather a lot of their information so I wouldn't put it past them to have got the clue wrong.

BUT if they did go with Blue Train it would surely be a Essentials. Its the kind of release that would attract so many non-VMP people. I just cant see it being such a big release to be honest.

Blue Train has been done to death. Classic in 4 versions, MM in 2, BN in a budget pressing...hardly any need for another.
There are few to none Impulse tapes surviving. Om, BTW, is a great record to put on at a dinner party when you want the guests to leave.
Coltrane on Atlantic has also been well done and readily available. Prestige Coltrane may be possible, but the best are available in great AP pressings. There are some dogs, like Last Trane which is a hasty compilation of leftovers that is hardly Classic.
Hard to see any Coltrane left to do that is really classic.

Blue Train has been done to death. Classic in 4 versions, MM in 2, BN in a budget pressing...hardly any need for another.
There are few to none Impulse tapes surviving. Om, BTW, is a great record to put on at a dinner party when you want the guests to leave.
Coltrane on Atlantic has also been well done and readily available. Prestige Coltrane may be possible, but the best are available in great AP pressings. There are some dogs, like Last Trane which is a hasty compilation of leftovers that is hardly Classic.
As if the Herbie they chose was "classic?"

I believe they will do a Coltrane and it will be a second tier Coltrane album that reveals some unique aspect of his playing.

For that reason, I could easily see it being Om, which highlights his Free Jazz chops and hasn't seen a vinyl re-release.

If we're getting free jazz, I think I'd prefer to get Brötzmann's Machine Gun and get another Coltrane, but I'd be in either way.

BUT if they did go with Blue Train it would surely be a Essentials. Its the kind of release that would attract so many non-VMP people. I just cant see it being such a big release to be honest.

I agree that Blue Train would be essential; it’s one of my favorite jazz albums of all time. However, if VMP is charging $33 for addons, then pretty much every pick from here on out better be:
1599697051281.gif

Yeah it’s not going to be Blue Train. I think any sort of Hard Bop record is out since Freedom Suite is in that sort of idiom. If we are going Free Jazz, then I think the Roscoe Mitchell album would be a great choice. They already have done AEoC- Tutankhamun so it wouldn’t be a stretch to do Congliptious.

Unlikely there is a tape for Om, so it could not hold to the AAA Classics standard.

I think there will eventually be a Coltrane in classics.

There are still entire session tapes unreleased from the late period that Universal is sitting on. It would be a major coup for VMP to cut a deal for one.

I believe they will do a Coltrane and it will be a second tier Coltrane album that reveals some unique aspect of his playing.

For that reason, I could easily see it being Om, which highlights his Free Jazz chops and hasn't seen a vinyl re-release.

If we're getting free jazz, I think I'd prefer to get Brötzmann's Machine Gun and get another Coltrane, but I'd be in either way.

i take the point. But at least th e Herbie was an interesting left turn. I like it, and was happy they did it, because it would never have come on my radar otherwise.
That's fine, wasn't commenting on the quality. I was just pointing out that saying "Hard to see any Coltrane left to do that is really classic." doesn't really carry much weight with what VMP will choose based on their track record.

Ellington's Thunder is on Pure Pleasure (and in my shopping list already) if you ever want this one.
I have a copy of Such Sweet Thunder and really enjoy it, although it is one that's easy to find at a low price so wouldn't be the most excited for a Classic release of it. It does have an interesting story behind it so I could certainly see a good booklet coming with it.

I have a copy of Such Sweet Thunder and really enjoy it, although it is one that's easy to find at a low price so wouldn't be the most excited for a Classic release of it. It does have an interesting story behind it so I could certainly see a good booklet coming with it.

Not sure it deserves to be half-assed by Storf ! What's the story, in a few words ?

Not sure it deserves to be half-assed by Storf ! What's the story, in a few words ?
After their Newport Jazz Festival success, Ellington and Billy Strayhorn travelled to Canada to perform 2 nights at the Shakespearean Festival and enjoyed the atmosphere so much that they stayed on for the week. At the end they openly declared that they would return a year later with a full suite written especially for the festival. Before they began touring they collated as many of Shakespeares books as they could and took them on tour with them, reading as much as they could and constantly talking about his work (it got to the point where the band would call Strayhorn, Shakespeare). After a year they had finished the suite and played it at the festival to a great response, and even today it's ranked as one of Ellington's best. Its clearly a passion project.

I guess he means the twitter threads? If that's what he means, doesn't really help, since nobody even guessed one for Classics under that one with the year hints. Could he mean reddit somehow? Haven't looked over there lately.

Back