Vinyl Me Please Classics

I'll admit, I wasn't sold on the Mingus pick but I'm in for this one (it's my last month).
I still don't think the price jump is justified but if they pick albums like this, I may be tempted again.

Same here (last month of membership). I love Oh Yeah but already have a decent copy so I was selfishly rooting against it. I’m not sold on Spiritualized and was struggling to find a desirable swaption. Rollins is one of my favorite jazz artists so I’m happy to go out with a bang.

Great surprise pick! Even better than Oh Yeah.
On a side-note I feel like we got misled on all the clues pretty bad, lol. Can anyone figure out how 132 and 22nd, etc. all fit this album?
His 22nd Album on his Discogs:

132 I have no idea

I'm sure the Sonny Rollins is good but I think I'm set on cancelling. This would be well worth $23 but not $33. Spiritualized might be worth $29 but not $43. I've realized I listen and collect music in waves. My current obsession is Blue Note so I'd rather spend the $76 I would've spent with VMP on Blue Note records.

Any opinion on 80's european OJC/Riverside pressings of this one ? They should be AAA and worth 20€ shipping included, which would make them more interesting for an european guy like myself ?

I'm sure the Sonny Rollins is good but I think I'm set on cancelling. This would be well worth $23 but not $33. Spiritualized might be worth $29 but not $43. I've realized I listen and collect music in waves. My current obsession is Blue Note so I'd rather spend the $76 I would've spent with VMP on Blue Note records.
To help confirm your decision, remember that 3 out of the 8 Sonny Rollins tracks are different takes of the same song. We’ll refer to this justification as “The Money Talks argument”

To help confirm your decision, remember that 3 out of the 8 Sonny Rollins tracks are different takes of the same song. We’ll refer to this justification as “The Money Talks argument”
That's just the CD version, right? I would think they would do original track listing. This isn't Blue World.

That's just the CD version, right? I would think they would do original track listing. This isn't Blue World.
Those bonus tracks are on CD and digital, but not on vinyl. We will get five original album tracks.
Yup, you’re right, I was looking at Spotify. So only 5 songs, not 8.

Last edited:
Any opinion on 80's european OJC/Riverside pressings of this one ? They should be AAA and worth 20€ shipping included, which would make them more interesting for an european guy like myself ?

I have the Saxophone Colossus, Brilliant Corners, and Sunday at the Village Vanguard early 80s OJCs and they are all spectacular. If the 80s OJC Freedom Suite sounds as good as the 80s OJC Saxophone Colossus it's a big bargain. Sometimes they can be tricky to find in clean condition for cheap but it's definitely viable a lot of the time on discogs. In my experience you aren't gonna find a NM or M copy for less than what the VMP version will run for, but if you're in Europe that might be a different situation.

So just being devil's advocate here but why is the Sonny Rollins album such a good pick when there are tons available on discogs for under $20?

Any indication this is better than those for $33?
This is de "Definitive Edition" :rolleyes:, and includes a track-by-track analysis by Jazz expert "The Storfer". You don't want to miss this one.

The title track of Freedom Suite has lots of quiet bits throughout. Quiet parts in jazz records have always been the bane of my existence when it comes to buying used, they can be distractingly noisy even after cleaning. This is why I really hoped they would have the balls to press Lifetime by Tony Williams. That album is so quiet and any used copy I have found is unlistenable.

For this reason, they probably have me on the hook for this one. I just need confirmation it's AAA.

I was pretty excited by the Mingus pick but this Sonny Rollins will also be great. It's not great enough for the price hike but I've got a couple of more months before I have to deal with that.

This is a brand new AAA reissue in a nice tip-on jacket. Probably will sound as good as it ever has sounded. The ones that go for cheap on discogs are probably the newer OJC reissues that were cut from a digital source. You could probably find a decent conditioned OJC copy from the 80s for a reasonable price that is AAA and sounds really good, but I think a reissue is still warranted. 1983 is a long time between quality AAA reissues.

How do you know the OJC for this Rollin's album was digitally sourced? On the Hoffman forums in the past, there was discussions that any OJCs before OJC-200 were all analog. I believe Steve Hoffman confirmed that. This one Rollins album is OJC-067.

Every OJC title I own sounds excellent and all were sub-$20, some around $8-10. Not sure this Rollins title is worth $33.

How do you know the OJC for this Rollin's album was digitally sourced? On the Hoffman forums in the past, there was discussions that any OJCs before OJC-200 were all analog. I believe Steve Hoffman confirmed that. This one Rollins album is OJC-067.

Every OJC title I own sounds excellent and all were sub-$20, some around $8-10. Not sure this Rollins title is worth $33.

All the currently in-print OJC reissues are from digital, including Brilliant Corners which is OJC-026 (with the exception of the current Saxophone Colossus OJC which still uses old AAA stampers). If you want the AAA OJCs you gotta get the older '80s pressings done by George Horn. This was on the Hoffman boards as well in a few places.

EDIT: Tenor Madness OJC that's currently in print uses AAA stampers as well. Apparently OJC uses the DCC metal parts for that and Saxophone Colossus and that's why those are AAA. Incredible bargain if you don't have those titles.

Last edited:
Back