Vinyl Me Please Classics

My fiancée works in risk management and when I mentioned this is the norm for VMP she was speechless hah. It is insane how much money they must be bleeding just because they tried to save a few bucks on whoever made their site.
I audit the production capabilities of government contractors. I decided it's probably not healthy to negotiate potential price reductions for my next membership renewal.

If you want a supplement to the next Classics AOTM.

Tempted by this one. Any Bar-Kays fans have opinions about this album? I see on discogs you can't really get the original version in decent condition for under $30.

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

It has come to my attention that the VMP Blossom Dearie says Stereo on the label, however it has never been released in stereo. It seems to be in Mono for me. I can understand VMP advertising it wrong but this is a screw up by Verve right?

I'd blame VMP just like I blame them for the hack job of a cover. Hard to say, but it's hard to believe that the labels are sending VMP images when they keep using scanned in ring wear.

Last edited:
I'd blame VMP just like I blame them for the hack job of a cover. Hard to say though, but it's hard to believe that the labels are sending VMP images when they keep using scanned in ring wear.

That's true, they do seem to control much of the design. Great album for such a hack job.

It has come to my attention that the VMP Blossom Dearie says Stereo on the label, however it has never been released in stereo. It seems to be in Mono for me. I can understand VMP advertising it wrong but this is a screw up by Verve right?

Not sure if it was VMP that made the label for the release or Verve. I have an OG which I have compared it to here a few times and VMP did a pretty poor job on the graphics side of things so it wouldn't surprise me if they mocked up the label as well. The original label doesnt have Mono or Stereo written on it (neither do the japanese reissues from what I remember) so its not a copy/paste job. Going from the zoomed in, very poorly and needless level change on the cover image and the poor low res scan of the liner notes, I would be surprised if VMP WERE NOT responsible for this blunder as well.

Tempted by this one. Any Bar-Kays fans have opinions about this album? I see on discogs you can't really get the original version in decent condition for under $30.

I think I like this album more than Money Talks, tbh. Kind of hoping it’ll stick around a bit, I didn’t want to use the 10% off coupon until next week after I see what’s in swaptions.

Yes the VMP is definitely mono even though it says stereo. I don’t believe there is an original stereo master.

Chiming in about the BD cover issue, even the old CDs had that shitty blown up cover, so we can pin it on VMP using scans of a 90s era CD or Verve supplying them with said cover art.
All of the Japanese CD reissues between those 1989 CDs and now look better though. Strange they couldn't do as good of a job as them.

Finally got my copy of Blossom Dearie. I thought everyone was exaggerating about the cover, but now that I have it in my hands, it’s even worse than I was expecting. It’s... real bad.

The music is sublime though, even though mine is warped. Doesn’t seem to effect playback at least.

So maybe a dumb question but why not use the original cover with the logos? Its not like they scrubbed all the Verve logos, or that Verve is not part of this anyway.

Beating a dead horse i guess, luckily the pressing itself is very good.

Back