Vinyl Me Please Classics

If there was just some sort of machine that helped them keep track of all the orders and what has been shipped. Oh wait...
giphy.gif

Went to check on where my Sahara was at and apparently it took a 10 day excursion across the Canadian prairies trying to find itself, just to return to the suburbs of Ontario. It's like a freakin' UTM student. Thanks Canada Post.

View attachment 58413
If it makes you feel any better USPS has been especially fucked lately as well

Swap for either Mavis or Jorge Ben I guess.
I'd pick the Jorge Ben, it's a great album.

I'm really not feeling this pick, it feels like an afterthought. A compilation after a label change that features one pretty good song, one ok cover and three songs of filler before another version of aforementioned good song. I don't get it. This may be the most mediocre Classics pick yet. While I thought the Salsa pick and Patrice Rushen weren't great choices, at least they seemed to be trying. This isn't even that.

I'd pick the Jorge Ben, it's a great album.

I'm really not feeling this pick, it feels like an afterthought. A compilation after a label change that features one pretty good song, one ok cover and three songs of filler before another version of aforementioned good song. I don't get it. This may be the most mediocre Classics pick yet. While I thought the Salsa pick and Patrice Rushen weren't great choices, at least they seemed to be trying. This isn't even that.
I feel like this pick (Bar-Kays) is just Storf's jam and then he assumed that everyone must like it because it makes him happy.
There's nothing wrong with that if the ego is removed and it still stands, which in this case, it does not.
I have no idea what I'm going to swap for but I'm sure I'll find something...

Edited for clarity of which album I was referring to

Last edited:
I feel like this is just Storf's jam and then he assumed that everyone must like it because it makes him happy.
There's nothing wrong with that if the ego is removed and it still stands, which in this case, it does not.
I have no idea what I'm going to swap for but I'm sure I'll find something...

It's not, it's a legit essential album and a great pick. Here's a snippet about it from 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

IMG_6322.jpg

It's not, it's a legit essential album and a great pick. Here's a snippet about it from 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

View attachment 58584
Just to be clear, I was talking about the Bar-Kays album, not Jorge Ben.
I think Jorge Ben is fantastic and definitely should be a swap contender for anyone who doesn't own it.
If I didn't already own it, I would be all over it :)

Ah gotcha. Too early for my reading comprehension to kick in lol.
Yeah I can see that. I'm down for any and all Stax, the way these AAA Classics pressings have been sounding it's been swap-at-your-own-risk. Even the ones that are controversial selections end up being killer sounding records. Ryan Smith AAA at QRP knocks em out of the park pretty much every time .

I feel the same about the Bar- Kays Classics album as some others. While I think some of the tracks are pretty good, the album feels too short and doesn't feel like something I need to own on vinyl. It feels like a collection of leftovers as others said. I might pick it up used some day. Maybe "Cold blooded" would've been a better choice for Classics? However, I'm happy this got me acknowledged with Bar- Kays and I will try to explore their discography further.

I feel the same about the Bar- Kays Classics album as some others. While I think some of the tracks are pretty good, the album feels too short and doesn't feel like something I need to own on vinyl. It feels like a collection of leftovers as others said. I might pick it up used some day. Maybe "Cold blooded" would've been a better choice for Classics? However, I'm happy this got me acknowledged with Bar- Kays and I will try to explore their discography further.

If you're just looking for a great Bar-Kays album, I really like The Bar-Kays - Gotta Groove reissue that came out last year from Craft. I find it a much better album musically than the Money Talks EP. It isn't quite the Classics package, but the hype sticker on Gotta Grove said it was all-analog, but pressed at Memphis Record Pressing though (so caveat emptor on pressing quality).

Back