Vinyl Me Please Classics

I was more teasing about the use of “World Music” it’s a horrible term imo. I disagree with you on Lloyd. It’s Persian instruments but it’s western amateur jazz players playing them. I think that’s like calling some of Harrison’s Beatles songs Indian because he immersed himself in Indian culture and religion and he plays the sitar on them, they aren’t.

Yeah Albert King was the right artist, wrong album! I mean a cover of Elvis albums, yuck! Actually same with Otis although I would have
Yeah I agree, its a massive over-generalisation. Calling them amateur jazz players is harsh, Miller was a competent pianist and could play various other instruments before he even hit his teens. As a leader of the group he has as much jazz pedigree as any other successful jazz musician of the era. I guess my viewpoint on this is that he lived in Iran as a citizen for almost a decade. The question is raised as to what point of being a citizen of a country are you allowed to start embracing the culture as your own.

Im personally on board with their pick of Lloyd Miller, but I do wish they had focused on one of his better recorded albums (rather than this one which I believe was taken from tapes used for a tv performance over studio recordings) as im sure this was the introduction to the musician for many people (it was for me).

Yeah I agree, its a massive over-generalisation. Calling them amateur jazz players is harsh, Miller was a competent pianist and could play various other instruments before he even hit his teens. As a leader of the group he has as much jazz pedigree as any other successful jazz musician of the era. I guess my viewpoint on this is that he lived in Iran as a citizen for almost a decade. The question is raised as to what point of being a citizen of a country are you allowed to start embracing the culture as your own.

Im personally on board with their pick of Lloyd Miller, but I do wish they had focused on one of his better recorded albums (rather than this one which I believe was taken from tapes used for a tv performance over studio recordings) as im sure this was the introduction to the musician for many people (it was for me).

Yeah I mean I hated it, in a year of Al stranded in jazz there could have been a really nice soul album in there...

I think Classics was overrated on the previous forum, but now it is properly rated. I grab about half of them, another quarter look like quality releases that aren't for me, and the final quarter are lackluster. When Classics are great they are better than anything else VMP does.
Definitely. Classics have introduced me to some albums I would have never heard on my own, too.

Classics since they started going all-in on AAA pressings have been especially top notch. Not that they weren't great before. Can't rate them highly enough. Even the picks that were a little controversial like Mr. Hands and Patrice Rushen were still great, really well done reissues. The quality of the mastering, pressing, and packaging are top of the line. And the curation is really excellent. We had freaking heavyweight names this year in Herbie Hancock, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Albert King, Erroll Garner and McCoy Tyner. About to get the Bar-Kays too probably which makes this a banner year for Classics so far IMO.

Feel like they should definitely lean a bit more into Soul and Blues releases. I feel like they’ve barely scratched the surface on potentially incredible classics releases there and I would personally love to see them pepper in more vocal jazz albums here and there. Blossom Dearie was absolutely phenomenal and when done right vocal jazz is just truly sublime. I would absolutely LOVE for them to do a AAA release of Sam Cooke’s Mr Soul. Hearing the “Smoke Rings” rendition on there in its QRP AAA glory would bring a crispy and shiny guy cry to my eyes.

Feel like they should definitely lean a bit more into Soul and Blues releases. I feel like they’ve barely scratched the surface on potentially incredible classics releases there and I would personally love to see them pepper in more vocal jazz albums here and there. Blossom Dearie was absolutely phenomenal and when done right vocal jazz is just truly sublime. I would absolutely LOVE for them to do a AAA release of Sam Cooke’s Mr Soul. Hearing the “Smoke Rings” rendition on there in its QRP AAA glory would bring a crispy and shiny guy cry to my eyes.

Analog Spark recently did Mr. Soul. Even though it was not AAA (mastered by Vic Anesini, cut by Kevin Gray), the record sounds wonderful.

Analog Spark recently did Mr. Soul. Even though it was not AAA (mastered by Vic Anesini, cut by Kevin Gray), the record sounds wonderful.
Yep, I’ve been eyeing that one but looks like it’s only available on cogs at this point but I may pull the trigger on it soon honestly!

I think Classics was overrated on the previous forum, but now it is properly rated. I grab about half of them, another quarter look like quality releases that aren't for me, and the final quarter are lackluster. When Classics are great they are better than anything else VMP does.

the first 15 or so Classics releases were unimpeachable. I think it was correctly rated at that time.

Final hint from Storf:
In Classics, the artist/band has been featured in a previous VMP Anthology

Bar-Keys seems very likely at this point
I think I’m going to pass on this for now. I like it, but I’m trying to cut back on vinyl purchasing and am already getting BVSC.

Also if RHH ends up being ODB, I HAVE get to it.

I think I’m going to pass on this for now. I like it, but I’m trying to cut back on vinyl purchasing and am already getting BVSC.

Also if RHH ends up being ODB, I HAVE get to it.
I definitely understand that some may not find The Bar-Kays to be essential, but I really dig this one and my girlfriend just said a few weeks ago that she wanted more funk in my vinyl rotation, so this will hit the spot.

Also super excited for ODB! I had a roommate introduce me to that album a few years ago and it will be a fun one to have on wax.

This is looking like a 3 track no swap month for me, which has only happened a few times in my years with VMP.

For anyone following along at home. Still not shipping for Tyner. Sent in an email last Wednesday and still no response other than “we are trying really really hard to answer your query but don’t email us again because we don’t understand how to set up our CS ticketing software.” Decided to spam their Instagram this morning and got a fairly quick DM back, so we will see how long this takes.

Very frustrating, but pissed at myself for falling for their shit again.

I definitely understand that some may not find The Bar-Kays to be essential, but I really dig this one and my girlfriend just said a few weeks ago that she wanted more funk in my vinyl rotation, so this will hit the spot.

Also super excited for ODB! I had a roommate introduce me to that album a few years ago and it will be a fun one to have on wax.

This is looking like a 3 track no swap month for me, which has only happened a few times in my years with VMP.
That’s awesome! If I hadn’t imposed a “only 4 records per month” limit on myself, this would absolutely be a no swap, 3 track month for me.

For anyone following along at home. Still not shipping for Tyner. Sent in an email last Wednesday and still no response other than “we are trying really really hard to answer your query but don’t email us again because we don’t understand how to set up our CS ticketing software.” Decided to spam their Instagram this morning and got a fairly quick DM back, so we will see how long this takes.

I also don’t have shipping for Tyner yet... Same for White Stripes.

Blossom Dearie should be here in the next couple of days at least.

A couple of my pre-orders (Phoebe, Khruangbin) shipped last week, but no mention of Tyner along with them. Given I only take shipping info with a grain of salt, I'm waiting until those records show up before I contact CS.

I also don’t have shipping for Tyner yet... Same for White Stripes.

Blossom Dearie should be here in the next couple of days at least.
A couple of my pre-orders (Phoebe, Khruangbin) shipped last week, but no mention of Tyner along with them. Given I only take shipping info with a grain of salt, I'm waiting until those records show up before I contact CS.

My Tyner was marked as "Shipped" on orders but had no tracking # provided. HBMS arrived last week by itself, and the White Stripes package that arrived today had my Tyner in it. I was skeptical since it had shipped from Melorse Park, IL - not Harrisburg, NC.

Wonder if they sent a batch of July ROTM to Third Man so they could ship them ASAP?

Mine hasn't shipped either. Haven't bothered to bug them yet though. Probably should.

Back