Vinyl Me Please Classics

I'm confused. Are you saying the thick outer sleeve of Public Enemy was so abrasive that it was breaking down the inner sleeve of Dummy (which was partially white), causing residue?

Just teasing. I get the aesthetic for sure. On a similar note, though, whenever a record store puts used records out w/o an outer sleeve, I'm instantly put off. Hmm, that's another comment for @toomanyrecords 's new video.

@Btsvinylfarm probably knows more than me about this. It just freaked me out when it happened.

EDIT: It was pretty hard to photograph - I think the whitening shows here. It basically goes all around the outer track but you see it more clearly at an angle- I tried pointing it out with the red arrows. The whole side is "duller" than it should be too. I couldn't tell if it affected the sound when I tried it way back but I'm wary about playing it again so I don't damage the stylus.

As @Btsvinylfarm mentioned, according to the web, it seems to be limited to those thick PVC outer pockets. You can find reports of nastier incidents if you search.

IMG_0193.JPG

Last edited:
This is how I do it (jacket in outer, inner behind jacket in outer), except the opening at the top. Curious to try the opening at the spine method.

FWIW I also use opening on the spine (but keep record in jacket) as it makes it easier to read spines on the shelf.

When looking at an outer sleeve, bottom is bent, and sides are sealed. So that makes difficult to read as the sealant forms a hard line that somehow strikes out the spine text. By rotating them, the spine is now under the bended part, much easier to read.

Don't thank me when you'll spend the following evenings rotating all your records/sleeves.

NB: I'm using sealed Blake sleeves. I don't think this method works with unsealed ones as the record may slide when you take it from the shelf.

Last edited:
FWIW I'm also use opening on the spine (but keep record in jacket) as it makes it easier to read spines on the shelf.

When looking at the outer sleeve, bottom is bent, and sides are sealed. So that makes difficult to read at the sealant forms a hard line that somehow strikes out the spine text. By rotating them, the spine is now under the bended part, much easier to read.

Don't thank me when you'll spend the following evenings rotating all your records/sleeves.

NB: I'm using sealed Blake sleeves. I don't think this method works with unsealed ones as the record may slide when you take it from the shelf.

That's brilliant!

I've always done opening at the spine cause my OCD self is like, "well mostly this bag is to keep dust away. This seems the optimal location for the hole then." I dont know if it's true but it's how I sleep at night.

Last edited:
I might take this whole storage thing up a level. With older records of value I just place the jacket in the outersleeve, then put the record in the inner sleeve in the gatefold next to the jacket (think that makes sense?)

With my really rare records I put the jacket in an outersleeve, then that outersleeve in another outersleeve, with the record in its innersleeve inbetween the 2 outers.

I might take this whole storage thing up a level. With older records of value I just place the jacket in the outersleeve, then put the record in the inner sleeve in the gatefold next to the jacket (think that makes sense?)

With my really rare records I put the jacket in an outersleeve, then that outersleeve in another outersleeve, with the record in its innersleeve inbetween the 2 outers.

tih1.jpg

This is how I do it (jacket in outer, inner behind jacket in outer), except the opening at the top. Curious to try the opening at the spine method.
I don't like opening at the spine method because if I'm understanding what people are saying correctly...when I try to remove the records from my shelving, the outer sleeve gets stuck in the shelf and only the spline and record get pulled out. I store things the same way as you and it's great. Easy to get access to the record without having to take the album jacket out.

I don't like opening at the spine method because if I'm understanding what people are saying correctly...when I try to remove the records from my shelving, the outer sleeve gets stuck in the shelf and only the spline and record get pulled out. I store things the same way as you and it's great. Easy to get access to the record without having to take the album jacket out.

Yes, that works well only if you have sealable outer sleeves, so you can use the spine opening method but nothing get stuck in the shelf when you take a record.

I don't like opening at the spine method because if I'm understanding what people are saying correctly...when I try to remove the records from my shelving, the outer sleeve gets stuck in the shelf and only the spline and record get pulled out.
No, you only take the record out - the album jacket stays in the outer sleeve and on the shelf.

No, you only take the record out - the album jacket stays in the outer sleeve and on the shelf.
Ooh...no thanks hah. I like displaying the record sleeve while I'm listening as well. I also don't think it's hard to read anything on the spline when I have them on the shelf.

Last edited:
If you build one of these bad boys you don't have to look at the spines.
View attachment 30879
I know it's a preference thing and different strokes and all that but the record store style storage isn't my jam. I prefer to be able to scan over my spines to find what I am looking for. Also, it cuts down on the amount of records you can store (which might not be a bad thing). I have a couple flip bins for recent purchases and recent plays but that is good enough for me. That being said, this shelf looks nice and sturdy. Did you make it yourself?

Cheers, man.

I used to have them on but found them to be more trouble than anything, plus it was frustrating to read the spines through them to try to find the records I wanted to listen to.

I still use them for very valuable items though (mostly soul and african 45s, a few original Blue Notes, etc).

...and I was certain this was going to come up when I posted the photo.

It's comforting to see there are people out there that are more OCD than me.

This was actually the reason I didn't outer sleeve my entire collection for a long time as well. What made the switch for me was discovering polypropylene sleeves. They are absolutely crystal clear, and the side seams don't obscure what's on the spines at all. They also don't "stick" to each other, like I found some other record sleeve materials occasionally do.

These are the ones I've been using, and I think all the Sleeve City USA products are also made of the same stuff.

My ancestors used to burn people at the stake for less than this.

Yes, I am a heathen! The same heathen who brought Very Meaty Pizza to this land. My ways are...perhaps, unusual. But they work for me!

I rarely take a jacket off the shelf unless I'm taking a photo for IG/a review. It also prevents me from putting something back out of order, and I can swap a record in/out in seconds flat!

Back