Vinyl Me Please Classics

IMO, they look great without the cardboard doohickey. Photo is several months old, but I'm still filing them like this for now.

View attachment 30771
Don’t let em give ya shit. I went a long while without outer sleeves too because I am lazy and it made it less likely that I would listen to an album if I had to keep removing and putting back on sleeves. Plus my parents didn’t futz around with sleeves. That being said, once my collection became arguably the most valuable thing I owned outside my home, I did finally start wrapping my shit up but I still envy those that leave there collection open. It also looks so much nicer aesthetically when sitting on a shelf.

Don’t let em give ya shit. I went a long while without outer sleeves too because I am lazy and it made it less likely that I would listen to an album if I had to keep removing and putting back on sleeves. Plus my parents didn’t futz around with sleeves. That being said, once my collection became arguably the most valuable thing I owned outside my home, I did finally start wrapping my shit up but I still envy those that leave there collection open. It also looks so much nicer aesthetically when sitting on a shelf.
BLASPHEMER

Cheers, man.

I used to have them on but found them to be more trouble than anything, plus it was frustrating to read the spines through them to try to find the records I wanted to listen to.

I still use them for very valuable items though (mostly soul and african 45s, a few original Blue Notes, etc).

...and I was certain this was going to come up when I posted the photo.

It's comforting to see there are people out there that are more OCD than me.

Thing is, plastic outers can actually cause damage to the vinyl itself.

I picked up a Public Enemy picture disc at RSD a few years ago. It came naked in one of those thick vinyl pocket outers. I added an inner to protect the vinyl, as I always do.

Less than a year later, I spun my Portishead Dummy LP, which was stored next to the Public Enemy, and noticed the vinyl had a bunch of what looked like white deposit all over it.

It dawned on me that the vinyl outer may have caused this and looked it up. And there are tons of similar experiences on the internet regarding those sleeves.

I realize good acid free outers should not be an issue. But do yourselves a favor and toss out all of those thick vinyl outers and keep them far away from your records. In fact I'd play it safe and toss anything where you don't know the quality of the material. If you're going to use outer sleeves, use a good quality product that you buy yourself.

I don't even buy any record sitting near any picture disc with those sleeves at the record store. It's crazy how quick the effect was on the sleeved vinyl stored NEXT to it in my collection (beacuse I sleeved my records at that time). It probably affected the picture disc too, but it was harder to tell than on the black vinyl.

That incident precipitated my decision to stop using outers and I'm good with it for now. I like the way they look on the shelf and it's easier to read the spines when I'm looking for something.

Last edited:

I picked up a Public Enemy picture disc at RSD a few years ago. It came naked in one of those thick vinyl pocket outers. I added an inner to protect the vinyl, as I always do.

Less than a year later, I spun my Portishead Dummy LP, which was stored next to the Public Enemy, and noticed the vinyl had a bunch of what looked like white deposit all over it.

It dawned on me that the vinyl outer may have caused this and looked it up. And there are tons of similar experiences on the internet regarding those sleeves.

I realize good acid free outers should not be an issue. But do yourselves a favor and toss out all of those thick vinyl outers and keep them far away from your records. In fact I'd play it safe and toss anything where you don't know the quality of the material. If you're going to use outer sleeves, use a good quality product that you buy yourself.

I don't even buy any record sitting near any picture disc with those sleeves at the record store. It's crazy how quick the effect was on the sleeved vinyl stored NEXT to it in my collection (beacuse I sleeved my records at that time). It probably affected the picture disc too, but it was harder to tell than on the black vinyl.

That incident precipitated my decision to stop using outers and I'm good with it for now. I like the way they look on the shelf and it's easier to read the spines when I'm looking for something.
I'm confused. Are you saying the thick outer sleeve of Public Enemy was so abrasive that it was breaking down the inner sleeve of Dummy (which was partially white), causing residue?

Plastic inside of paper......
Just teasing. I get the aesthetic for sure. On a similar note, though, whenever a record store puts used records out w/o an outer sleeve, I'm instantly put off. Hmm, that's another comment for @toomanyrecords 's new video.

Don’t let em give ya shit. I went a long while without outer sleeves too because I am lazy and it made it less likely that I would listen to an album if I had to keep removing and putting back on sleeves. Plus my parents didn’t futz around with sleeves.

Put the outer sleeves on the jacket with the opening at the spine, and then place the vinyl (in an inner sleeve) behind the jacket. This will allow you to access the discs without taking the outer sleeve off the jacket, and will allow you to see your record spines unobstructed by the outer sleeve while they sit on your shelf (also, putting the discs behind the jacket instead of in the jacket pocket will reduce chances for ring wear on the cover).

This is what's called outgassing, and it's really only going to be an issue with PVC outers (like the thick ones your mentioned).

Put the outer sleeves on the jacket with the opening at the spine, and then place the vinyl (in an inner sleeve) behind the jacket. This will allow you to access the discs without taking the outer sleeve off the jacket, and will allow you to see your record spines unobstructed by the outer sleeve while they sit on your shelf (also, putting the discs behind the jacket instead of in the jacket pocket will reduce chances for ring wear on the cover).

This is how I do it (jacket in outer, inner behind jacket in outer), except the opening at the top. Curious to try the opening at the spine method.

Back