Vinyl Me Please Classics

Mmmmm I have the impression that the food in the countryside would have that more rustic feel and would be absolutely delicious. And they’re so similar to France and Italy in that they use the produce that grows regionally/locally!

OMG, I need to stop spending less on vinyl and start saving slowly up for Spain! It really is my next country I want to visit. 100%! (Apart from going back to Thailand and Indonesian with a group of friends this February).

We were in one restaurant and before the rest of the tapas came out the brought us just bread with tomatoes that they has picked from their own garden that morning with just some salt, olive oil and balsamic to dress them yourself. That was just heaven even before all the proper dishes started to be piled on!

San Sebastián has more Michelin Star restaurants per head of population that any other city town in the world. It, and the rest of the Basque Country, is on my list without a shadow of a doubt!

The food I had in Madrid was good, as was Barcelona when I was there, but it was city food. Out in the countryside the food was more rustic but every bit as tasty, it was just so good and sharing tapas in a group is just such a great experience!
Michelin stars don’t mean shit to me. I know it’s amazing if a restaurant has one, but it can be like a curse too. I always want to know what restaurants are doing well at the moment. Like i want to see which places currently have a strong reputation/rating. Some Michelin Star restaurants are just ‘good’ and are overpriced.

We were in one restaurant and before the rest of the tapas came out the brought us just bread with tomatoes that they has picked from their own garden that morning with just some salt, olive oil and balsamic to dress them yourself. That was just heaven even before all the proper dishes started to be piled on!
Omg Joe, you’re making me moan and groan!!!

That food and hospitality would have been EVERYTHING!!! 😩😍😋

Michelin stars don’t mean shit to me. I know it’s amazing if a restaurant has one, but it can be like a curse too. I always want to know what restaurants are doing well at the moment. Like i want to see which places currently have a strong reputation/rating. Some Michelin Star restaurants are just ‘good’ and are overpriced.

Yes but when pretty much every bloody restaurant in the city has one regardless of the price range you know you’re onto something good!

Yes but when pretty much every bloody restaurant in the city has one regardless of the price range you know you’re onto something good!
That is very true! It’s like Copenhagen too!

Oh gosh, you have no idea how happy I am thinking about eating in Spain, travelling around Spain and just seeing all the culture and raw beauty the country has to offer!

That is very true! It’s like Copenhagen too!

Oh gosh, you have no idea how happy I am thinking about eating in Spain, travelling around Spain and just seeing all the culture and raw beauty the country has to offer!

But a hell of a lot cheaper, like the rest of Scandinavia Copenhagen is amongst the most expensive places in Europe to do anything, on the other hand Spain is one of the cheapest.

But a hell of a lot cheaper, like the rest of Scandinavia Copenhagen is amongst the most expensive places in Europe to do anything, on the other hand Spain is one of the cheapest.
I want to live in Copenhagen because it’s a very indie/hip city, there’s so much green spaces everywhere, so much people ride their bike which means there is very little traffic congestion, and I would be eating smorebread all the time, which would be delicious and healthy! And their public transport is great!

When I was in Italy in South Tyrol, I met an American women who moved to Copenhagen and I was like “OMG, it must be amazing living there! I’ve heard such great things about it” and she was like “don’t bother, it’s the most boring place ever”. I was like “ummmmm, why on earth are you living there then?!?!??!?” 😂

Like who the hell moves from one country to another, and say it’s the most boring place ever? I mean, I’d understand if you moved to Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia or Qatar just for work as you’d be getting top dollar over there. Because there is like nothing in those countries, but.......COPENHAGEN!?!?!? Girlllllllll 🥴

Bobo is a ridiculous pick, it’s such a run of the mill dull album. It’s pleasant enough but it’s just so not worthy, I mean instrumental covers of Michelle and other pop songs of the day, no thank you very much!
Everyone’s shittin’ Bobo... I will take the bait. I like it. It’s a fun album and it sounds great! It’s gotta Latin tinged funk to it that I dig. My favorite types of jazz are Soul-Jazz/Jazz-Fusion/Jazz-Funk. Willie Bobo has a sweaty rhythm to it that I really enjoy. It feels like a summer barbecue on a rooftop in the city. It’s not an “important” record but it’s a blast. Also their frenetic energy with the speeding through and shouting the lyrics to Michelle is one of my favorite tracks on the record.

Everyone’s shittin’ Bobo... I will take the bait. I like it. It’s a fun album and it sounds great! It’s gotta Latin tinged funk to it that I dig. My favorite types of jazz are Soul-Jazz/Jazz-Fusion/Jazz-Funk. Willie Bobo has a sweaty rhythm to it that I really enjoy. It feels like a summer barbecue on a rooftop in the city. It’s not an “important” record but it’s a blast. Also their frenetic energy with the speeding through and shouting the lyrics to Michelle is one of my favorite tracks on the record.
Your description makes me really wish I got the same thing out of it as you.

Not in mine, a massive faux pas over here, Knock on Wood is 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Don't get me wrong, I love that album. I am just a lot more familiar with it and I wanted to take a chance on something that I like the sound of but have never heard of. I'm either subbing out the next album depending on what it is or buying it outright. One way or another it will be in my collection in the near future.

I am so excited for the Fania selection - there are better Fania albums than Celia and Johnny but it still a good representation of the genre specially for those not familiar the music style. Celia Cruz is the queen of salsa and one of the biggest artist in all spanish language music - probably comparable to the upcoming essential artist Aretha Franklin. I am probably biased being from the Caribbean - but it makes me so happy that VMP is doing Latin selections. Hopefully everyone gives them a chance and we can get more Latin albums in the future (Cafe Tacuba - Re!!!).

I am so excited for the Fania selection - there are better Fania albums than Celia and Johnny but it still a good representation of the genre specially for those not familiar the music style. Celia Cruz is the queen of salsa and one of the biggest artist in all spanish language music - probably comparable to the upcoming essential artist Aretha Franklin. I am probably biased being from the Caribbean - but it makes me so happy that VMP is doing Latin selections. Hopefully everyone gives them a chance and we can get more Latin albums in the future (Cafe Tacuba - Re!!!).
What are some Fania albums you'd recommend over Celia y Johnny?

Decided to drop Isley Bros and pick up Darrell Banks! Where the hell has this record been hiding, people have ranting about it on the low for months now but it didn’t click until my commute home from work today and BOOM, can’t wait to get my hands on it!
Great call, that Darrell Banks album is 🔥 and is consistently underrated in all of the “top ## classics picks” threads over the past two years.

I have almost all the Flaming Lips albums on CD. They have a lot. I can’t justify the cost of replacing them all on vinyl just to get this essential and the two exclusives. I’m trying to box clever in relation to what I buy now, I’ve been far too indiscriminate in the past and I just don’t want to waste that amount of money going forward. I’ve just come back from the most amazing short holiday and I want to see more of the world (and get a Vespa....)
Wrong choice.... everything is better with a Lambretta!

Back