Vinyl Me Please Classics

That could be an urban / suburban divide too.

As a northerner that now lives in the south, I would agree that location plays a massive impact, not just on selection but also quality. When I lived up north I would go to carboot sales and charity shops regularly and most of the stuff was really poor condition and not really worth picking up (the typical UK northern stereotype). I now live in the outskirts of London but go to carboot sales in the surrey countryside and its another world of people selling high end luxury items. Granted, theres still rubbish in amongst them but from the 4-5 different locations I frequent its really top notch stuff.

On a side note you have reminded me of a great set of queen records I picked up a few years back the carboot sale I still go to. I was rifling through some queen 7" and the seller said I could have the whole stack for a couple of quid (one of them turned out to be a super rare recalled copy of Hammer To Fall). I got chatting with him about his daughter. She once came home to ask if she could go on a skiing holiday that she had been invited to, and that her friends dad had offered to pay. The seller felt bad about accepting the offer and asked to meet the dad so he could offer up the money needed. So the next day the dad dropped by his house......turns out it was Brian May.

As a northerner that now lives in the south, I would agree that location plays a massive impact, not just on selection but also quality. When I lived up north I would go to carboot sales and charity shops regularly and most of the stuff was really poor condition and not really worth picking up (the typical UK northern stereotype). I now live in the outskirts of London but go to carboot sales in the surrey countryside and its another world of people selling high end luxury items. Granted, theres still rubbish in amongst them but from the 4-5 different locations I frequent its really top notch stuff.

On a side note you have reminded me of a great set of queen records I picked up a few years back the carboot sale I still go to. I was rifling through some queen 7" and the seller said I could have the whole stack for a couple of quid (one of them turned out to be a super rare recalled copy of Hammer To Fall). I got chatting with him about his daughter. She once came home to ask if she could go on a skiing holiday that she had been invited to, and that her friends dad had offered to pay. The seller felt bad about accepting the offer and asked to meet the dad so he could offer up the money needed. So the next day the dad dropped by his house......turns out it was Brian May.

Yeah I can see it being a factor in bigger countries. All said and done though one of the best records stores I’ve ever frequented for digging through second hand records is vinyl exchange in the northern quarter of Manchester.

Yeah I can see it being a factor in bigger countries. All said and done though one of the best records stores I’ve ever frequented for digging through second hand records is vinyl exchange in the northern quarter of Manchester.
Yeah Vinyl Exchange is great, although its been a while since I last went. Did you ever go to Empire Exchange? The one thats in a basement filled with records, comics, books, posters, toys etc. That place is like Aladdins cave.

thats completely irrelevant here because I’d be surprised if there wasn’t more record stores in Dublin than in the entire rest of the country combined, the urban area and commuter belt now comprise more than a quarter of our population. Plus in general you get everything cheaper, even in the most expensive parts of America it’s only rents that are comparable or greater than the more expensive European cities, the costs of actually buying stuff are way lower!

that said I stand by the fact that even if there are half a million in dollar bins scarcity isn’t a consideration in the picks, I don’t often defend VMP but this has been said so often you wonder why it resists entry into certain people heads...

Yeah cost of living stuff is a tricky topic. I do think the rents are higher here (Boston) than Dublin, and goods probably aren't that far off. The big thing is purchasing power I would say, and it's certainly higher here thanks to the high salaries and low taxes. That said all those taxes you pay actually go to something, and we end up paying out the ass for healthcare even with coverage. I'd take a bit more expensive vinyl lol...

I agree that scarcity isn't their concern, nor should be a concern, unless what they're doing is essentially a repack of something that's easily available new with zero perks or benefits (and I don't think they have done that yet.) But some folks think like that and I get that this pick doesn't feel "scarce" or what not to the degree the Art Blakey one did. But even that you can argue had one of those lame Euro reissues so it isn't exactly hard to get.

For me I see no problem with it, I'm only on the fence as I need to get more elemental jazz albums that are on my list.

Yeah Vinyl Exchange is great, although its been a while since I last went. Did you ever go to Empire Exchange? The one thats in a basement filled with records, comics, books, posters, toys etc. That place is like Aladdins cave.

I don’t think so! It’s been 12 years since I lived in Manchester 😲 (old joe) and I was still collecting cds then so vinyl exchange was great for them upstairs. I’m only back these days to visit old uni friends so I only get to squeeze in a little digging in between the pubs...

Yeah cost of living stuff is a tricky topic. I do think the rents are higher here (Boston) than Dublin, and goods probably aren't that far off. The big thing is purchasing power I would say, and it's certainly higher here thanks to the high salaries and low taxes. That said all those taxes you pay actually go to something, and we end up paying out the ass for healthcare even with coverage. I'd take a bit more expensive vinyl lol...

I agree that scarcity isn't their concern, nor should be a concern, unless what they're doing is essentially a repack of something that's easily available new with zero perks or benefits (and I don't think they have done that yet.) But some folks think like that and I get that this pick doesn't feel "scarce" or what not to the degree the Art Blakey one did. But even that you can argue had one of those lame Euro reissues so it isn't exactly hard to get.

For me I see no problem with it, I'm only on the fence as I need to get more elemental jazz albums that are on my list.

shit, we’re catching up on London prices quickly so I’m kinda shocked at that, but are you sure on goods? It’s still generally cheaper for us to buy goods from the US when we are over because you strip off VAT. It is more complicated ordering online because customs will generally pick it up and apply that and their own charges. I’d also always been under the impression that food and drink (both in and out) were considerably cheaper in America?

shit, we’re catching up on London prices quickly so I’m kinda shocked at that, but are you sure on goods? It’s still generally cheaper for us to buy goods from the US when we are over because you strip off VAT. It is more complicated ordering online because customs will generally pick it up and apply that and their own charges. I’d also always been under the impression that food and drink (both in and out) were considerably cheaper in America?

I was going off my own presumptions, but I just checked a site and it seems it is "cheaper" to buy goods here overall, but not sure how they're calculating. Of course the purchasing power is lower in Dublin which doesn't surprise me, and can certainly contribute to how you perceive the city's value. Keep in my Boston is an insanely priced city that just keeps getting more luxury oriented as it gentrifies to unseen levels, and not representative of an average US city. We're quickly approaching NYC and San Fran levels of insane with no signs of stopping.

I've never been to Dublin, but my s/o is from Stockholm, and I've been over there quite a bit and it is interesting to see how that city (which I think is pricey even by Euro standards) compares to here. The VAT thing definitely factors in with some goods, but records (over the years I've bought and carried back aroudn 100 in Sweden lol) do seem to be the same or cheaper to me.

As for food and drink yes! I have totally observed that across all European cities I've visited besides Berlin. I think Stockholm is a major offender there. Just this summer I was furious about the price of shitty cheap beer at a dive bar being more than double what I pay at my local dive. Eating out is outrageously expensive as well to me, even for fast food. But still their transit and healthcare systems are amazing and well worth the VAT and income taxes. I get to keep that money to spend on a broken train and out of pocket health costs.

I think Stockholm is a major offender there. Just this summer I was furious about the price of shitty cheap beer at a dive bar being more than double what I pay at my local dive.
I went to a gig last night, really low key affair with less than 100 people and a 2-man team that set it up. The 'bar' was just a table where they sold spirits and mixer from bottles, and cans of cheap beer. I bought a can of beer and a single gin and tonic and it was £11. Madness. If it was cheaper we would have ended up buying more and spending more. But at that price we just made those last.

I was going off my own presumptions, but I just checked a site and it seems it is "cheaper" to buy goods here overall, but not sure how they're calculating. Of course the purchasing power is lower in Dublin which doesn't surprise me, and can certainly contribute to how you perceive the city's value. Keep in my Boston is an insanely priced city that just keeps getting more luxury oriented as it gentrifies to unseen levels, and not representative of an average US city. We're quickly approaching NYC and San Fran levels of insane with no signs of stopping.

I've never been to Dublin, but my s/o is from Stockholm, and I've been over there quite a bit and it is interesting to see how that city (which I think is pricey even by Euro standards) compares to here. The VAT thing definitely factors in with some goods, but records (over the years I've bought and carried back aroudn 100 in Sweden lol) do seem to be the same or cheaper to me.

As for food and drink yes! I have totally observed that across all European cities I've visited besides Berlin. I think Stockholm is a major offender there. Just this summer I was furious about the price of shitty cheap beer at a dive bar being more than double what I pay at my local dive. Eating out is outrageously expensive as well to me, even for fast food. But still their transit and healthcare systems are amazing and well worth the VAT and income taxes. I get to keep that money to spend on a broken train and out of pocket health costs.

I was pleasantly surprised with the cost of food and beer in Stockholm! Eating out was comparable with Dublin and a pint was only a couple of Euro more than our normal and about level with our tourist places...

Rent here is nuts because we’ve become a European hub for all the big tech firms combined with bad economic planning meaning the Irish economy is largely the Dublin economy. It’s crested far more demand than supply.

On the demand side for goods coming in that’s not so much an issue because we’re generally serviced by the same supply channels as the uk, god knows what brexit will do to that but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it...

As for services for tax, I think we have one of the highest rates of personal income tax, but lowest rates of corporation tax 🤬 and we don’t have services really, especially outside of Dublin, private healthcare and no real viable option of non car commuting outside the captial. We have a bit in Dublin but it’s over crowded and underserviced.

Last edited:
I went to a gig last night, really low key affair with less than 100 people and a 2-man team that set it up. The 'bar' was just a table where they sold spirits and mixer from bottles, and cans of cheap beer. I bought a can of beer and a single gin and tonic and it was £11. Madness. If it was cheaper we would have ended up buying more and spending more. But at that price we just made those last.
At least once a year I go to a show where pints are $10-11. So frequently that at my last show in October $8 seemed cheap for the pints they were selling...

And this is in Minnesota

Last edited:

I’d be shocked but a measure of spirits and a mixer is typically €11+ on its own anyway here but given the nature of the set up it would stick in the craw if they were charging me that from a bottle of Gordon’s they got in Tesco for whatever that costs in the uk now (it used to be around £10 I’m sure it’s more now...)

I was pleasantly surprised with the cost of food and beer in Stockholm! Eating out was comparable with Dublin and a pint was only a couple of Euro more than our normal and about level with our tourist places...

Rent here is nuts because we’ve become a European hub for all the big tech firms combined with bad economic planning meaning the Irish economy is largely the Dublin economy. It’s crested far more demand than supply.

On the demand side for goods coming in that’s not so much an issue because we’re generally serviced by the same supply channels as the uk, god knows what brexit will do to that but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it...

As for services for tax, I think we have one of the highest rates of personal income tax, but lowest rates of corporation tax 🤬 and we don’t have services really, especially outside of Dublin, private healthcare and no real viable option of non car commuting outside the captial. We have a bit in Dublin but it’s over crowded and underserviced.

Ok so food and drink must be bad in Dublin if Stockholm feels normal to you! I know a lot of US companies have decamped to or expanded to Dublin to get those corporate tax breaks, seems like an unfortunate scenario of taking with very little given in return. Definitely a unique economic situation as you explain it. I think the population of just the state of Massachusetts is roughly equal in population than the whole island of Ireland, so it's hard for us to fathom that scale working for a whole country.

At least once a year I go to a show where pints are $10-11. So frequently that at my last show in October $8 seemed cheap for the pints they were selling...

And this is in Minnesota

Yeah, supply and demand! The highest I paid in a gig here was $14 for a Bud. Ridiculous really, but I was seeing Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds, and the performance needed a little chemical assistance to digest so I paid up.

I haven't heard anything, but my orders have disappeared from the shipments page. I dunno, I guess that's a sign or something.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hope it means it has shipped. My Yusef Lateef order still shows "Ships with your next record of the month."
I'm not sure what that means for you with the Yusef Lateef order, because the Clairo album disappeared from orders page too...

maybe Yusef ships next month?

I'm not sure what that means for you with the Yusef Lateef order, because the Clairo album disappeared from orders page too...
It probably has to do with me ordering Lateef and Crush at the same time. Though Crush says "Shipping estimation pending."

I'm hoping there isn't a problem with Lateef as others have posted. They will probably get a replacement before I get the record in the first place.

Back