Vinyl Me Please Classics

No love for Darrell Banks?

I think Here to Stay is a great album, just not in my top tier. Much like what happened to it on it's release in '69, it's gotten lost in all the Stax albums I have. When I go to the basement to put together my Sunday stack, would I rather play Here to Stay, or Dictionary of Soul, or Soul Men, or Bound to Happen, or... and then I spend more time staring at my record collection than actually playing music.

I think Here to Stay is a great album, just not in my top tier. Much like what happened to it on it's release in '69, it's gotten lost in all the Stax albums I have. When I go to the basement to put together my Sunday stack, would I rather play Here to Stay, or Dictionary of Soul, or Soul Men, or Bound to Happen, or... and then I spend more time staring at my record collection than actually playing music.
Fair enough. I personally think it’s top tier and love it so, so much

Fair enough. I personally think it’s top tier and love it so, so much

Right there with you.

Also on the oriental jazz debate, it’s kinda ok, it’s pretty pleasant and not bad but I don’t see that it was an album that necessarily deserved to be part of the party. It’s be my third worst above Byrd and Bobo.

For someone like me who’s starting to delve a lot more into jazz, what 1-3 VMP classics would you recommend? I don’t care if they’re sold out on VMP.
Do they have to be VMP jazz records? I would say you can spend your money better with any of the Blue Note 80th anniversary or Tone Poet releases

For someone like me who’s starting to delve a lot more into jazz, what 1-3 VMP classics would you recommend? I don’t care if they’re sold out on VMP.

You're getting Art Blakey, which is a phenomenal choice. So there's one.

2. Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
3. Miles Davis & John Coltrane - The Final Tour: Paris, March 21, 1960

1. Miles Davis & John Coltrane - The Final Tour: Paris, March 21, 1960
2. Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
3. Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda

But like others have said, lots of great Tone Poet and 80th Anniversary titles. From the Tone Poets, I'd recommend (to start):

Wayne Shorter - Etc.
Lee Morgan - Cornbread
Kenny Burrell - Introducing...
Stanley Turrentine - Hustlin'

So many are nice. I would hop over to the Blue Note Thread

The 3 most recent BN 80 releases are all great. Art Blakey - Indestructable, Kenny Dorham - Una Mas, and Freddie Hubbard - Hub-Tones

What are some of those you’d recommend then?
Don't sleep on Sam Rivers - Contours. I hadn't heard of him until I saw that was coming out and it is a really great album with a killer lineup. Finally got around to ordering it this week. Might be my favorite of the Tone Poets I've streamed. Black Fire is great too.

Don't sleep on Sam Rivers - Contours. I hadn't heard of him until I saw that was coming out and it is a really great album with a killer lineup. Finally got around to ordering it this week. Might be my favorite of the Tone Poets I've streamed. Black Fire is great too.
Contours might be my favorite Tone Poet release yet. I had no idea who he was until I looked this album up when they announced the series. To my ears, this one and Cornbread sound the best, with Black Fire not too far behind.

Back