Vinyl Me Please Classics

1964 makes me a bit nervous only because I own a lot of these in audiophile quality (MMJ or Cisco (Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up)) so the Classics would not appeal to me and swaptions being shit lately doesn't help...
I really hope it's something that hasn't been pressed recently
If it's One Flight Up I'll buy your Cisco copy.

Seriously, I only have the 75th Anniversary press of this and would love a better press. One of my favorites from Dexter Gordon.
I had a 75th copy and bought what was listed as the Cisco copy on Ebay. What I ended up getting was a much, MUCH worse copy of the 75th pressing. I just realized it the other day when I went to play it. Got my money back, but still on the lookout.

Attachments

• 20190801_194315.jpg
    20190801_194315.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 21
I have two Blue Note 75 records (Grant Green - Idle Moments, Joe Henderson - Mode For Joe) and was initially confused about what everyone was disappointed about with these releases. Then I heard ORG presses of both Sonny Rollins and Ben Webster and immediately understood the aforementioned disappointment.

I am totally on board with One Flight Up if that is indeed the selection for next month. Just listened to it tonight, and am enamored!

I had a 75th copy and bought what was listed as the Cisco copy on Ebay. What I ended up getting was a much, MUCH worse copy of the 75th pressing. I just realized it the other day when I went to play it. Got my money back, but still on the lookout.

@johnpisme @Dark Star Boogie My Cisco copy of One Flight Up is one of those "from my cold dead hands" records that is never leaving my collection. I somehow got this copy off Amazon Canada, I guess it was just hanging about in some warehouse and was oddly inexpensive.
If it is One Flight Up, I would only be happy because getting a decent press of this amazing album is sadly quite difficult.

@johnpisme @Dark Star Boogie My Cisco copy of One Flight Up is one of those "from my cold dead hands" records that is never leaving my collection. I somehow got this copy off Amazon Canada, I guess it was just hanging about in some warehouse and was oddly inexpensive.
If it is One Flight Up, I would only be happy because getting a decent press of this amazing album is sadly quite difficult.
I just really hope the Blue Note and Prestige records are ones I already have so I'm not forced into a tough decision.

Was anyone able to get a copy of the Darrell Banks record that isn’t wildly off center on side b? Wondering how long I should keep trying to get a good copy.

What if the Herbie Hancock is Inventions and Dimensions? That hasn't gotten a proper release since Music Matters did it back in 2012.

Reissue coming Oct. 11th—Blue Note 80th Anniversary press.

Also, @mdmost here is the spreadsheet with upcoming jazz reissues, generously put together by our very own @stpaulbrowns2019-20 Jazz Reissues (Needles & Grooves)

Ha. Didn't see that but glad it's being reissued. I'm just hoping VMP doesn't dip into something that got released for the 75th anniversary as those are incredibly cheap to get. I'm hoping for something not readily available or that I already own.

Ha. Didn't see that but glad it's being reissued. I'm just hoping VMP doesn't dip into something that got released for the 75th anniversary as those are incredibly cheap to get. I'm hoping for something not readily available or that I already own.
Sadly some of the BN75 pressings are pretty low grade. I have 4 or 5 and they sound fine (don't blow me away), but always looking to upgrade them.

I think the pick is probably Tony Williams - Life Time, but doing some sleuthing and I also came across this and it is great:

Jimmy Smith & Stanley Turrentine - Prayer Meetin'

I'd never heard this before and it is a great late night album. No recent reissue and this is now what I really want it to be.

Someone over on reddit listed all Blue Note records either recorded or released in 1964. I put it in a spoiler, because it's a long list:

Blue Note 1964

(Discogs List...)
Andrew Hill - Black Fire
Andrew Hill - Judgment!
Anthony Williams - Life Time
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free For All
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
Big' John Patton - The Way I Feel
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
Donald Byrd - A New Perspective
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch!
Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point
Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar
Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff
Grant Green - Am I Blue
Grant Green - Idle Moments
Grant Green - Talkin' About
Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares
Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
Herbie Hancock - Inventions And Dimensions
Jackie McLean - Destination... Out!
Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond
Jimmy Smith With Stanley Turrentine- Prayer Meetin'
Joe Henderson - In 'N Out
Joe Henderson - Our Thing
Larry Young - Into Somethin'
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Stanley Turrentine - A Chip Off The Old Block
The Horace Silver Quintet - Song For My Father (Cantiga Para Meu Pai)
The Horace Silver Quintet & The Horace Silver Trio - Blowin' The Blues Away
Wayne Shorter - Juju
Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer

(Allmusic.com list...)
Andrew Hill - Andrew!!!
Andrew Hill - Judgment!
Art Blakey / Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Free for All
Big John Patton - The Way I Feel
Blossom Dearie - May I Come In?
Blue Mitchell - The Thing to Do
Cannonball Adderley - Cannonball Adderley's Fiddler on the Roof
Cannonball Adderley - Live Session!
Chet Baker - Sings and Plays with Bud Shank, Russ Freeman and Strings
Clare Fischer - So Danco Samba
Deodato - Ideias
Duke Pearson - Wahoo!
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point!
Freddie Roach - All That's Good
Gerald Wilson / Gerald Wilson Orchestra - Portraits
Grant Green - Matador
Grant Green - Solid
Grant Green - Street of Dreams
Grant Green - Talkin' About!
Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions
Horace Silver / Horace Silver Quintet - Song for My Father
Jackie McLean - Action
Jackie McLean - It's Time!
Joe Henderson - Inner Urge
Joe Pass - Joy Spring
Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata
Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land
Lee Morgan - Tom Cat
Les McCann - McCanna
Lou Rawls - Tobacco Road
Nancy Wilson - Broadway: My Way
Nancy Wilson - Today, Tomorrow, Forever
Roy Haynes - People
Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song
Sarah Vaughan - Sweet 'n' Sassy
Stan Kenton - Adventures in Blues
Stanley Turrentine - Hustlin'
Stanley Turrentine - In Memory Of
The 3 Sounds - Black Orchid
Tony Williams - Life Time
Walter Wanderley - Samba No Esquema de Walter Wanderley
Willie Bobo - Bobo's Beat

Not sure if the list is entirely accurate, because there are certainly some records listed that aren't Blue Note, but overall it looks good. From this list I would say we can possible assume certain records are out for differing reasons. I'll list them down here:

Not it because: BN80
Kenny Dorham - Trompeta Toccata

Not it because: Tone Poet
Andrew Hill - Black Fire

Not it because: Music Matters SRX
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free For All
Grant Green - Solid

Maybe not it because: Music Matters/AP/Other audiophile label/BN75
Andrew Hill - Judgment!
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
Blue Mitchell - The Thing to Do
Duke Pearson - Wahoo!
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch!
Grant Green - Street of Dreams
Grant Green - Idle Moments
Grant Green - Talkin' About
Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares
Herbie Hancock - Inventions And Dimensions
Jackie McLean - Destination... Out!
Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond
Joe Henderson - Our Thing
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land
Lee Morgan - Tom Cat
Stanley Turrentine - A Chip Off The Old Block
The Horace Silver Quintet - Song For My Father (Cantiga Para Meu Pai)
The Horace Silver Quintet & The Horace Silver Trio - Blowin' The Blues Away
Wayne Shorter - Juju

Maybe not it because: previous Classics artist

Currently no reason to not be considered:
Anthony Williams - Life Time
Big' John Patton - The Way I Feel
Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point
Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar
Freddie Roach - All That's Good
Grant Green - Am I Blue
Jackie McLean - Action
Jackie McLean - It's Time!
Jimmy Smith With Stanley Turrentine- Prayer Meetin’
Roy Haynes - People
Stanley Turrentine - In Memory Of
The 3 Sounds - Black Orchid
Tony Williams - Life Time

Maybe not it because: previous Classics artist

Just to get my own hopes up, I remember a VMP staff member posting something along the lines off "I'm writing this album down in my note book" when A New Perspective was mentioned on the VMP forum after the announcement of Fancy Free, suggesting that it was up for future consideration.

Also, didn't Storf say somewhere that there would be some double dipping on artists this year? Could have been in reference to De La Soul of course, but I do seem to recall that he said it was going to happen once or twice this year

Just to get my own hopes up, I remember a VMP staff member posting something along the lines off "I'm writing this album down in my note book" when A New Perspective was mentioned on the VMP forum after the announcement of Fancy Free, suggesting that it was up for future consideration.

Also, didn't Storf say somewhere that there would be some double dipping on artists this year? Could have been in reference to De La Soul of course, but I do seem to recall that he said it was going to happen once or twice this year

Storf did, but I think that was in reference to Outkast being a R&HH and an Essentials pick this year. There are so many great BN artists, I'd be kinda disappointed if they another Byrd album, as great as he was and A New Perspective is (better than either VMP Byrd titles). Also, I'm pretty sure it was a 75th Anniversary title.

Storf did, but I think that was in reference to Outkast being a R&HH and an Essentials pick this year. There are so many great BN artists, I'd be kinda disappointed if they another Byrd album, as great as he was and A New Perspective is (better than either VMP Byrd titles). Also, I'm pretty sure it was a 75th Anniversary title.

Yeah I would be very surprised for many reason if it wound up being A New Perspective, most of which you named. However it has been on top of my want list for some time now. For some reason I can't seem to find a good copy. So I'm mainly just giving myself false hope.

Sadly some of the BN75 pressings are pretty low grade. I have 4 or 5 and they sound fine (don't blow me away), but always looking to upgrade them.

Yeah, these are a well known shitshow of a series. Mediocre mastering and a particularly bad pressing run by URP. I would actually love it if they admitted that they sucked and re-released more on the 80th series but that seems unlikely. Sad because the 75th are more bread and butter releases.

Back