Vinyl Me Please Classics

Damn, just catching up on the hints, im super in for this month!

Out of the '64 releases I would be most excited for the ones where the OG is pricey and with low numbers of reissues, so:
Grachan Moncur III ‎– Some Other Stuff
Andrew Hill - Judgment!
'Big' John Patton* ‎– 'The Way I Feel'

I can see it being Lee Morgan ‎– The Sidewinder though, it would be an obvious pick from VMP's perspective as its popular enough to get the sales in.

Imagine the surprise of people receiving Life Time who believed Oriental Jazz was free jazz. Life Time isn’t free jazz, but definitely a lot closer to it than VMP’s “free jazz” album.

After a full stream of it, I don’t think VMP would pick this. It’s great though.

Imagine the surprise of people receiving Life Time who believed Oriental Jazz was free jazz. Life Time isn’t free jazz, but definitely a lot closer to it than VMP’s “free jazz” album.

After a full stream of it, I don’t think VMP would pick this. It’s great though.
I love Life Time. Have a UA press of it which I would happily sell if I could grab a VMP copy of it...

Apologies if I missed it, but is there a reason we're not thinking it'll be Empyrean Isles? Storf was heavily implying we'd have a Blue Note Hancock record before the VMP forums died, and the first two official clues match.

Apologies if I missed it, but is there a reason we're not thinking it'll be Empyrean Isles? Storf was heavily implying we'd have a Blue Note Hancock record before the VMP forums died, and the first two official clues match.
I could be mistaken but I think the only reason folks aren’t thinking it’s that one is due to its wider availability and recent reissues

Not really a reason it can't be, but Empyrean Isles has both been available in the BN 75 and MM (33 and 45) series. Perhaps that might disqualify it, but no official word on that being the case.

Damn, just catching up on the hints, im super in for this month!

Out of the '64 releases I would be most excited for the ones where the OG is pricey and with low numbers of reissues, so:
Grachan Moncur III ‎– Some Other Stuff
Andrew Hill - Judgment!
'Big' John Patton* ‎– 'The Way I Feel'

I can see it being Lee Morgan ‎– The Sidewinder though, it would be an obvious pick from VMP's perspective as its popular enough to get the sales in.
I give some credit to VMP for not having released the big name Blue Note albums and instead going for ones off the beaten path, so I don't think it would be Sidewinder. I think it's really harder to predict this pick than it was with the Prestige series due to that. Like, it would be easy to say that Some Other Stuff is too out there and not enough people would like it, or the same with Life Time, but you got them putting out things like Fancy Free and Attica Blues and even with Oriental Jazz (obviously not BN, but still) it just points to them being willing to put stuff out there that is far from an obvious choice. Also, Some Other Stuff and Life Time both feature Herbie as a side player, which could tie into Storf saying more Herbie is coming later?

Not Absolutely certain, but with the essentials hints being psych rock, and with most of the early bands of that genre forming in 1965, it was thought that ‘69 would fit better for that clue. Plus ‘64 was a strong year for Blue Note
Spot on, and LSD hadn't really saturated the musical world until the late 60’s. It’s definitely 1964 for Classics and 1969 for Essentials.

Just got my Isley Brothers in the mail. A not so great corner ding (on its own not worth contacting CS about) and 2 seam splits. The top is 4in long and the bottom is 2.5in. Just waiting to hear back for CS.

Have international subscribers had luck with getting replacements lately for serious cosmetic issues on covers?

Edit: Jason from CS hit me up a second ago saying they will replacement will be sent out. Have to say the CS has been very fast lately. Whatever else they have done, VMP definitely has beefed up the response time.

Just got my Isley Brothers in the mail. A not so great corner ding (on its own not worth contacting CS about) and 2 seam splits. The top is 4in long and the bottom is 2.5in. Just waiting to hear back for CS.

Have international subscribers had luck with getting replacements lately for serious cosmetic issues on covers?

Edit: Jason from CS hit me up a second ago saying they will replacement will be sent out. Have to say the CS has been very fast lately. Whatever else they have done, VMP definitely has beefed up the response time.
Records are flat too. What world is this?

Got my Isley in today as well. Sounds amazing, really glad I stuck with this over an OG Tneck. Honestly this is practically a demo disc for showing off your system, since it’s smooth as hell, but open and clear, with tight low end. Audiophile funk for sure.

Pressing is largely quiet, and flat. Some very small fill bubbles on the last cut but barely audible even with a MicroLine stylus, so I’m not going to bother making a fuss. I do think QRP has been having a lot of fill issue recently but their formulation remains clean and pure.

Honestly this is a great record IMO, but yes I don’t fault anyone for wanting 3+3 more. Really a shame they didn’t have to budget to do both as AAA issues. That’s one thing that sucks about VMP classics, that the artists are rarely revisited after you’re just wanting more of their catalog treated the same way.

Meanwhile back on the track that can’t get its act together, I’ve finally received a replacement OutKast after 2 months just to get another gouge, this time on the flip side of the second disc! The quality gulf between the two pressings is huge IMO and something that needs to be addressed.

Back