Vinyl Me Please Classics

The recent Abbey Lincoln album they reissued comes to mind. I find that sometimes his work is too “soft”. Sometimes it lacks grit, or an edge to hold on to for me. I just feel like his work is sometimes missing that extra “oomph” that people like Kevin Gray brings to the table.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s good. For sure. Just not always to my taste.

I've still not spun the Abbey Lincoln tbh. He definitely has a different sound to KG. I do think KG can sound a bit tiring on the wrong pressing/vinyl. With quality RTI pressings, he always sounds amazing.

It's interesting, I need to re-listen to some Ryan Smith masterings. I think the softness can help sometimes with the shitty vinyl pressings.

We should do a World Cup style shoot out to find out who really miss the best!

The recent Abbey Lincoln album they reissued comes to mind. I find that sometimes his work is too “soft”. Sometimes it lacks grit, or an edge to hold on to for me. I just feel like his work is sometimes missing that extra “oomph” that people like Kevin Gray brings to the table.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s good. For sure. Just not always to my taste.
This has hit the nail on the head for me. I really like the Abbey Lincoln but there is just something about it that felt off to me and you summed it up with 'soft'. It lacks a kind of punch that others in the Classics series have had.

Not to say its a bad pressing, I really do like it, but I do wonder if I would feel more drawn to it had someone else took the reins.

Received Teddy Pendergrass a couple of days ago. My copy had a ton of debris and tons of what appears to be scuffs or smears all over both sides.

A wet clean sorted it out though, and the pressing sounds phenomenal. Really nice soundstage. I’ve complained about Ryan Smith’s mastering in the past, but he nailed this one.
Yep, I really enjoyed listening to this last night. Great full sound that really showcased the orchestra. Great record. Made me dance.

I agree, I'll take the good with the OH MY GOD TOO MUCH HIGH HAT
3d9b6581-bea5-49d9-85c8-ec82ee10db70_text.gif

Just had my first listen to Teddy P, it’s pretty damn incredible. Can’t believe I initially considered passing on it. Cannot wait for the PIR Anthology, how good is Dexter Wansel going to sound????
Looking forward to more PIR Classics picks too, Ship Ahoy by the O’Jays would be nice…

Just had my first listen to Teddy P, it’s pretty damn incredible. Can’t believe I initially considered passing on it. Cannot wait for the PIR Anthology, how good is Dexter Wansel going to sound????
Looking forward to more PIR Classics picks too, Ship Ahoy by the O’Jays would be nice…
That PIR set is probably going to be lovely. I really wish it wasn’t so expensive because I think it’s a great selection of titles. Just a tad overpriced for me...

That PIR set is probably going to be lovely. I really wish it wasn’t so expensive because I think it’s a great selection of titles. Just a tad overpriced for me...
It’s certainly not cheap but AAA RKS RTI is a lethal combination. I think the Dexter Wansel album alone will be worth $300 😆

It’s certainly not cheap but AAA RKS RTI is a lethal combination. I think the Dexter Wansel album alone will be worth $300 😆
You may be right. If I didn’t already have pristine originals of almost half the records, I probably would’ve made the plunge.

They finally got more of those Miles/Coltrane albums and put them as swaps... I was stuck at work with no way to swap.
They gave a swap preview the day before. I guess it’s a new thing where they will tell you 24 hours before what the swaps will be

They gave a swap preview the day before. I guess it’s a new thing where they will tell you 24 hours before what the swaps will be
Yeah. I set an alarm, but something unavoidable hit. Why not just offer it to people who waited? Oh well.

Back