Vinyl Me Please Classics

Interesting perspectives on the year for Classics overall. For me, this was a great year. No single record quite as spectacular as ‘Dreams’ but Lee Morgan, Bill Withers, Dorothy Ashby, Freddie King etc all stone cold classics that I’ll be listening to for years to come. Only skipped Frederick Knight, Abbey Lincoln, Musselwhite and Roberta. If it wasn’t for GZGate, would have been a vintage year for VMP.

For you it was a great year, where you skipped an entire third of it.

Lee Morgan, King Curtis, Dorothy Ashby, Charlie Musselwhite, Bill Withers, Freddie King were all homers picks. Abbey Lincoln and Isaac Hayes were solid. That Isaac Hayes album is a big time sleeper actually, great sounding record. The Teddy P, Leon Ware, Fred Knight were for the birds IMO. Very solid year. I'm excited for the Roberta Flack too, such a wonderful singer. Great record for evening relaxing.

Lee Morgan, King Curtis, Dorothy Ashby, Charlie Musselwhite, Bill Withers, Freddie King were all homers picks. Abbey Lincoln and Isaac Hayes were solid. That Isaac Hayes album is a big time sleeper actually, great sounding record. The Teddy P, Leon Ware, Fred Knight were for the birds IMO. Very solid year. I'm excited for the Roberta Flack too, such a wonderful singer. Great record for evening relaxing.
Very much agree on ‘Tough Guys’. Huge sounding record.

Dorothy Ashby wasn't for me, and Abbey wasn't her best...but otherwise I agree with this assessment.

I think Abbey would've resonated with me more if I didn't pick up this weeks prior.

Superior in every way that matters, and honestly it's not like Bill Withers where I'll still listen to +Justments even though Still Bill and Just as I Am are the superior albums, it's just so many tiers below where if I am in the mood for Abbey Lincoln I definitely will put on Abbey Is Blue very single time.

Last edited:
Obviously, everyone has different taste, and while I thought there were lots of good picks in the Classics of 2021, there were no Essential* picks. (* = definition of essential, not VMP Essentials.) The fact it started off with 4 meh picks in a row kind of set the tone.

For me, the key takeaway is that Classics use to be an automatic get, sometimes I even went in blind. Now, I'm way more picky on the ones I pick up. That's due to a mix of things...a lack of space for more records in my house, the increased cost of VMP, and the switch from constant Classics in Classics, to a shift to deeper cuts. That said, quality wise, it is still VMP's best and most consistent track.

Last edited:
Noticed this in the Store Drop email:

"Keep your eyes peeled for the next quarter’s ROTM hints. Guess Me, Please is going official. As we share hints over the next three weeks in the weekly Store Drop, everyone has the chance to guess what our next three months’ ROTMs will be.

First person to guess all 12 albums and their artists – three months of albums in each of our four Tracks – will win $150 in store credit."

I guess that's better than the $20 I got in Store Credit back in the day on the old forum, but I still miss the interaction with Storf, Cam, Pauly, et al. 🤷‍♂️

Noticed this in the Store Drop email:

"Keep your eyes peeled for the next quarter’s ROTM hints. Guess Me, Please is going official. As we share hints over the next three weeks in the weekly Store Drop, everyone has the chance to guess what our next three months’ ROTMs will be.

First person to guess all 12 albums and their artists – three months of albums in each of our four Tracks – will win $150 in store credit."

I guess that's better than the $20 I got in Store Credit back in the day on the old forum, but I still miss the interaction with Storf, Cam, Pauly, et al. 🤷‍♂️
No idea how they'll decide who wins this. Are they looking at here, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, all of them, none of them...?

Edit: In other words...

That feels like $150 they're never gonna give away.

That feels like $150 they're never gonna give away.
This is my problem with this. They WILL likely give it away. Someone will take all the guesses that reddit/here/twitter/anywhere else produces and send it in and claim the prize. They don't seem to understand, despite having presence on reddit and social media, that a full set of guesses usually is a group effort, and part of the fun. Making it incentive based instead of just a fun thing that creates discussion from the community every three months between GZ complaints may dumb down the spirit of the whole thing.

This is my problem with this. They WILL likely give it away. Someone will take all the guesses that reddit/here/twitter/anywhere else produces and send it in and claim the prize. They don't seem to understand, despite having presence on reddit and social media, that a full set of guesses usually is a group effort, and part of the fun. Making it incentive based instead of just a fun thing that creates discussion from the community every three months between GZ complaints may dumb down the spirit of the whole thing.
I agree. I really like sleuthing, and the camaraderie of the hunt, so I will continue to post guesses. That said, if it's down to one or two titles to figure out at the end, I might keep those guesses to myself? Also, it's not that likely I'll figure out any of the R&HH titles.

Love them !

1. Kind Of Blue - Miles Davis
2. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
3. Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus
4. Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk
5. Time Out - Dave Brubeck
6. The Blues & The Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson
7. The Incredible Jazz Guitar - Wes Montgomery
8. Song For My Father - Horace Silver
9. Out To Lunch - Eric Dolphy
10. The Shape Of Jazz To Come - Ornette Coleman
11. Virtuoso - Joe Pass