Vinyl Me Please Classics

Help me make up my mind. I have some VMP credit and wanna use it now since I dipped back in for Wu-Tang/Morgan this month.

Joe Henderson - Mirror Mirror

or

Alan Shorter - Orgasm

I like them both, they are both available now and both are pressed at RTI. Any quality issues with either?

Edit: Henderson is pressed by Optimal MPO.

Last edited:
Help me make up my mind. I have some VMP credit and wanna use it now since I dipped back in for Wu-Tang/Morgan this month.

or

Alan Shorter - Orgasm

I like them both, they are both available now and both are pressed at RTI. Any quality issues with either?
Had this exact dilemma, went with Mirror Mirror cause it will get far far more spins over my lifetime

or

Alan Shorter - Orgasm

I haven’t got either yet, but only ordered the Alan Shorter, because the Joe Henderson had been fairly widely available, having said that I didn’t realise it was an RTI pressing

edit - the Joe Henderson is pressed at Optimal, in Europe it can be picked up a bit cheaper on black vinyl

I haven’t got either yet, but only ordered the Alan Shorter, because the Joe Henderson had been fairly widely available, having said that I didn’t realise it was an RTI pressing

edit - the Joe Henderson is pressed at Optimal, in Europe it can be picked up a bit cheaper on black vinyl
You are right. It is pressed at Optimal. I got my wires crossed. Hmmmm.

or

Alan Shorter - Orgasm

Edit: Henderson is pressed by Optimal MPO.
I similarly had credit and was torn between the AP Dr John press and Pachyman. Wound up with pachyman from bandcamp for 25 cents more (but streaming/download) and got the Dr John because it was cheaper than amazon or 'cogs. Henderson was OK although i'll cop to not listening to it enough online. Orgasm did not catch my ear until the 2nd side, not enough to buy it outright. If I wind up with credit again for some reason and it's still around I might hit that up.

I similarly had credit and was torn between the AP Dr John press and Pachyman. Wound up with pachyman from bandcamp for 25 cents more (but streaming/download) and got the Dr John because it was cheaper than amazon or 'cogs. Henderson was OK although i'll cop to not listening to it enough online. Orgasm did not catch my ear until the 2nd side, not enough to buy it outright. If I wind up with credit again for some reason and it's still around I might hit that up.
Oh yeah, I forgot that VMP started carrying AP titles. I might go this route instead. Thanks for the heads up!

Not really. Nina is squarely a jazz/soul vocalist. Most of the other big names don't really fit into BOTH categories that well.
Why is it for sure going to be a "big name"? I am willing to put money on it not being Nina Simone.

Why is it for sure going to be a "big name"? I am willing to put money on it not being Nina Simone.

I mean based just on that clue she definitely fits the best so far. It could certainly be a lesser known name, probably will be. But I think Nina is the best guess so far just based off that one clue. Everyone else is a stretch to fit "jazz/soul vocalist" besides someone lesser known you wouldn't think without more clues.

You're literally not going to get anywhere with that first hint. It really all depends on what source Storf gets his hints from. Say you're looking on discogs for instance, that soul jazz genre opens up from (yes) Nina Simone, to Stevie Wonder, Gil Scott-Heron, Ray Charles, Minnie Riperton and about 58,000 more albums. I think you're thinking of it too narrowly.

EDIT: Look at what happens when you filter soul-jazz and vocal on discogs. Still way too broad to narrow anything specific if that's where storf is looking.

Last edited:
computer-generated genre listings is one thing, but the genre hints have been pretty common sense. If it's Stevie Wonder or Minnie Riperton, even storf isn't gonna call that a Jazz/Soul vocalist. But when you pair that hint with someone like Nina Simone or Ruth Brown it makes a ton of sense. It's just a hint so I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that it is actually a Jazz/Soul vocalist and not a big stretch. I feel like it's actually a pretty small pool of singers you could legitimately classify as soul/jazz vocalists.

Listen, if it's Nina I'll gladly eat crow, but I think you're putting waaay too much faith in Storf's hints, ESPECIALLY since it's the first one. If it was that easy to guess Nina, then it wouldn't be the first hint.

Back