Vinyl Me Please Classics

I have not received a shipping notice, even in the states. It's the only one I'm getting this month, too. So much for their ROTM priority shipping...
Shipping is definitely slow on the USPS side this month. I've had both my shipments sitting at a transfer spot for 3 days now. That generally never happens...

Spinning King Curtis now, and it’s great. Easily my favorite Classics release of the year. The only one I’d say I “love” even.

The drums sound especially fantastic.

TBH I'm usually well in for the classic's, it's my main track, but the only 2 I've picked up so far this year are King Curtis & Leon Ware. I'm not sure if I need to go back and pick up the others

TBH I'm usually well in for the classic's, it's my main track, but the only 2 I've picked up so far this year are King Curtis & Leon Ware. I'm not sure if I need to go back and pick up the others
Classics has been somewhat underwhelming for me this year. Besides King Curtis I’ve only picked up Leon Ware and Isaac Hayes. Hayes was a pleasant surprise but I thought I would enjoy Leon Ware more than I did.

I love this King Curtis pick though. I enjoyed it when I streamed it but this pressing really elevates it even more. I’m also really looking forward to Dorothy next month.

Classics has been somewhat underwhelming for me this year. Besides King Curtis I’ve only picked up Leon Ware and Isaac Hayes. Hayes was a pleasant surprise but I thought I would enjoy Leon Ware more than I did.

I love this King Curtis pick though. I enjoyed it when I streamed it but this pressing really elevates it even more. I’m also really looking forward to Dorothy next month.
Picked up Hayes (swapped a couple months back) and Musslewhite. Waiting on Curtis but no part of me is interested in next month's.

Picked up Hayes (swapped a couple months back) and Musslewhite. Waiting on Curtis but no part of me is interested in next month's.

It's funny, next month's is quite possibly one of the Classics I've been most excited about during my tenure with VMP, but I also completely understand why people would be just as uninterested as I am excited!

Why is there general distaste here for Tennessee Woman? I finally got to spin it last night and its a really solid blues album with great dynamic range.
For myself, I only really loved Cristo Redemptor. The rest of the album I thought was decent, but nothing I really felt I had to have. Although I have debated picking it up on the strength of that one track alone.

Has anyone in the UK had shipping for King Curtis yet? @Andy I saw you had Darkside arrive, did you order Curtis?
Mine arrived in UK yesterday. It sounds excellent. Considering it was a live recording, it was recorded really well. Great crowd reactions too- feel like you’re there at times.

Why is there general distaste here for Tennessee Woman? I finally got to spin it last night and its a really solid blues album with great dynamic range.

I've not heard it. I was going to swap for it in the following month but it sold out real quick. All the hate for it on here made me think it would be around at least ass long as Tough Guys

Mine arrived in UK yesterday. It sounds excellent. Considering it was a live recording, it was recorded really well. Great crowd reactions too- feel like you’re there at times.

Just spinning it now, they've done a fantastic job with this. Definite contender for VMP release of the year.

Tennessee Woman, Live at Fillmore West, and Tough Guys are fantastic records. Tough Guys you really need to hear on vinyl. Great mastering, real ear candy. Those 3 have really awesome dynamic range, especially the Charlie Musselwhite. Audiophile blues recordings like that are special. I thought the other 2 Classics were just okay, not gonna spin those very often.

Hi Robbie. For me? It’s a generic, almost blues bar record. Charlie Musselwhite isn’t much of a singer, so the voice puts me off too. If it wasn’t a VMP record, I’d never reach for it. And (I accept that this is a harsh criticism), there are SO MANY better blues records from that year.
It seems to me that VMP have only nailed 2 blues Classics - JLH and Muddy Waters Fathers and Sons. Beyond that, it gets grim pretty quickly. For such an amazing genre, I think it’s the worst represented in VMP across the board. Or have I missed something?

Hi Robbie. For me? It’s a generic, almost blues bar record. Charlie Musselwhite isn’t much of a singer, so the voice puts me off too. If it wasn’t a VMP record, I’d never reach for it. And (I accept that this is a harsh criticism), there are SO MANY better blues records from that year.
It seems to me that VMP have only nailed 2 blues Classics - JLH and Muddy Waters Fathers and Sons. Beyond that, it gets grim pretty quickly. For such an amazing genre, I think it’s the worst represented in VMP across the board. Or have I missed something?

I feel like you have a pretty narrow taste for blues music. If you don't like Charlie's voice you probably hate Johnny Winter.

I didn't go for Musselwhite either, but Koko, BB, and Buddy are all top notch.

I feel like you have a pretty narrow taste for blues music. If you don't like Charlie's voice you probably hate Johnny Winter.
No I’m not a Johnny Winter fan at all... unapologetically. I’m no blues expert. The most recent blues record that really sparked my interest was by Champion Jack Dupree. It’s darkly funny. The piano led blues just effortlessly grooves. I’m currently spinning some Television but you’ve spiked me to stick on some early Fleetwood Max next - English Rose I think. Maybe narrow taste, sure. But I still think Tennessee Woman is a bargain bin record not worth rescuing!

Attachments

• FFB1D3F1-80E3-48CB-A09A-3A9362980959.jpeg
    FFB1D3F1-80E3-48CB-A09A-3A9362980959.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 95A5B6FF-69A8-4740-9D00-373536BC5C07.jpeg
    95A5B6FF-69A8-4740-9D00-373536BC5C07.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 3
Back