Vinyl Me Please Classics

I'll go:

April: Otis Rush - Mourning in the Morning
May: King Curtis - Live at Fillmore West
June: The Jazz Crusaders - Old Socks, New Shoes...New Socks Old Shoes

From Storf (in response to my guesses):
“You have 1, and the band is in the wrong month”

So Jazz Crusaders is wrong and Soul-Jazz is a solo artist. (I’d rather they did a different Crusaders album anyway.)

And either Otis Rush (likely) or King Curtis is correct.

Mar-Keys looking like the May front runner now.

That leaves June as a solo act which narrows it down to about 200 albums instead of 500.

Another tidbit from Storf:
“And fwiw, I've seen the blues and the soul instrumental albums guessed on the net. Not a single person has guessed the soul jazz, which I honestly thought was going to be the easiest one.”

So, presumably someone (@keylime_5 ?) has guessed the first two correctly on Reddit.

View attachment 93010

The case for Ayers grows! Ubiquity came out under Polydor, currently owned by UMG, same as Blue Note.
I love the distorted vibraphone on some of the songs. It’s is such a flex ha! That album is so much more jazz-funk to me but maybe it’s semantics. The non vocal, slower stuff miiight classify as soul-jazz and on Discogs there is a soul-jazz tag but I still feel like it’s stretching.

If it’s not KC, I’m not very optimistic about the quality of the instrumental soul pick.
Roy Ayers’ Ubiquity is a beautiful, colourful and engaging album! Ubiquity also has a cozy, homely sound yet is very adventurous in spirit! I really hope Ubiquity ends up being a Classics ROTM! An audiophile pressing would be delightful!

Back