Vinyl Me Please Classics

I really wish speakers corner was easier/cheaper to get in the US. I know a few stores carry them, but older OOP stuff is often $45+ in the US. The SC albums I do have all sound incredible though. It's one of my favorite reissue labels.

Which ones do you have?

My dream line up:

January: Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller (1974)

February: Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (1973)

Or Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly (1973)

March: Stanley Turrentine - Everybody Come On Out (1976)

Surely we are getting a Weather Report album one of these fine days right? Mysterious Traveler would be a good one.

I've actually been a smidge disappointed with all the Speakers Corner pressings I've gotten (save for Mingus At Antibes, which sounds totally amazing!). And I will says Herbie's Crossings is pretty excellent. They're not bad or anything, but I think Analogue Productions, MoFi, and MMJ/Tone Poet all certainly sound a step above. Even some Rhinos Kevin Gray and Chris Bellman did. Of course, perhaps I haven't been getting albums that were recorded to the same quality as those on other audiophile labels, shrug.

I have Lou Reed - Transformer, Esther Phillips - From A Whisper To A Scream, Bill Withers - Just As I Am, and then a pair of Bill Evans live albums. They all sound awesome.
I've got Lou Transformer, Mingus The Clown, Mingus Erectus, Mingus Tijuana and Herbie Crossings and I think they're all really good. But also I paid on average about $49 CAD for them which is like 20 less than Mofi and about 30 less than AP.

Last edited:
I've got Lou Transformer, Mingus The Clown, Mingus Erectus, Mingus Tijuana and Herbie Crossings and I think they'll all really good. But also I paid on average about $49 CAD for them which is like 20 less than Mofi and about 30 less than AP.
Yea--list price over here if you can find them (Plaidroom and some other stores have newer ones in stock) are around $25-$30 USD.

I've got Lou Transformer, Mingus The Clown, Mingus Erectus, Mingus Tijuana and Herbie Crossings and I think they'll all really good. But also I paid on average about $49 CAD for them which is like 20 less than Mofi and about 30 less than AP.

I have Mingus Erectus, The Clown, Tijuana Moods, At Antibes. Antibes sounds great, the rest sound actually very good, nice bottom end, though the recordings of the pre-Columbia 50s Mingus aren't quite audiophile. But still not quite the level I come to expect compared to other audiphile label records I have.

I also have Miles Smiles, Butterfield Blues Band's East-West, and Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play the Blues. Same verdict about those — nice sounding records but not quite as good as I hoped for.

I've heard that Transformer is an amazing pressing. Of course I've not heard many bad versions of that record, it's a great recording.

I have Mingus Erectus, The Clown, Tijuana Moods, At Antibes. Antibes sounds great, the rest sound actually very good, nice bottom end, though the recordings of the pre-Columbia 50s Mingus aren't quite audiophile. But still not quite the level I come to expect compared to other audiphile label records I have.

I also have Miles Smiles, Butterfield Blues Band's East-West, and Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play the Blues. Same verdict about those — nice sounding records but not quite as good as I hoped for.

I've heard that Transformer is an amazing pressing. Of course I've not heard many bad versions of that record, it's a great recording.
I totally get that, I think simply because I kinda always come at Pure Pleasure and SC as a small step below Mofi and AP just naturally because the price is so much lower for them in Canada. So I'm probably not quite as critical with them as I would be with other audiophile labels. My AP Mingus x5 and Black Saint are both crazy good and I'd definitely put them above the SC Mingus.

A guy on discogs was liquidating his whole collection and everything was make an offer so I got a pretty good deal on Transformer. I grabbed it for $35 shipped which is fairly low for it now since it's OOP. Shame that you don't dig the pressings you have from SC. I think they are up there as one of my favorite reissue labels especially for the price as @Mather said. I like them better than Pure Pleasure I think but are in that tier for me (slightly below AP/MoFi) but I still will pick up any SC pressings of albums I like.

I have to believe we're getting blues at some point soon. Last one was Albert King, before that B.B. King. That's basically one every six months. I get that there are fewer choices for blues as opposed to jazz, but still. Those release years don't give me a ton of hope for what I'm hoping to see (although I'd be happy to be wrong!). Probably also has to do with the status of any tapes out there.

I have to believe we're getting blues at some point soon. Last one was Albert King, before that B.B. King. That's basically one every six months. I get that there are fewer choices for blues as opposed to jazz, but still. Those release years don't give me a ton of hope for what I'm hoping to see (although I'd be happy to be wrong!). Probably also has to do with the status of any tapes out there.
I'll be stunned if we don't get either Howlin' Wolf, Lightnin' Hopkins or Leadbelly at some point this year. I can't believe none of them have been done yet. There are definitely AAA tapes for Hopkins, not sure about Wolf, likely not for Leadbelly but maybe..

I'll be stunned if we don't get either Howlin' Wolf, Lightnin' Hopkins or Leadbelly at some point this year. I can't believe none of them have been done yet. There are definitely AAA tapes for Hopkins, not sure about Wolf, likely not for Leadbelly but maybe..

I hope so. Are there any live albums from Wolf? I have the 60th anniversary mono of Moanin in the Moonlight and that was cut from the original tapes so I can't see that being one of the choices.

I hope so. Are there any live albums from Wolf? I have the 60th anniversary mono of Moanin in the Moonlight and that was cut from the original tapes so I can't see that being one of the choices.
Yeah I've got the same Wolf, I'm not certain about live albums from him. I would imagine there are some but in terms of AAA lord knows... For anyone interested the Pure Pleasure "Huddie Ledbetters Best" is incredible. How they cleaned up those tapes I have no idea but it's a revelation. It's missing "In The Pines" because I don't think there are any good recordings of that one from him, but it's an astonishing feat what PP did with that album. It's KPG mastered because of course it is.

It says mastered from tapes, not cut, so you never know. Have you seen something claiming it was AAA? I wasn't aware of that reissue. I have the 80s one that is great, but those are creeping up in price.

Would love a good reissue of the rocking chair album.

It says mastered from tapes, not cut, so you never know. Have you seen something claiming it was AAA? I wasn't aware of that reissue. I have the 80s one that is great, but those are creeping up in price.

Would love a good reissue of the rocking chair album.
I have the MOV rocking chair, it's clean but the stereo is very strange. It's either fake stereo or... I don't know. It's similar to Moonlight in that it's a very strange mix. Clean, but unnatural sounding.

Yeah I've got the same Wolf, I'm not certain about live albums from him. I would imagine there are some but in terms of AAA lord knows... For anyone interested the Pure Pleasure "Huddie Ledbetters Best" is incredible. How they cleaned up those tapes I have no idea but it's a revelation. It's missing "In The Pines" because I don't think there are any good recordings of that one from him, but it's an astonishing feat what PP did with that album. It's KPG mastered because of course it is.

Just grabbed one off of Discogs. Thanks for the recommendation!

They should do one of Taj Mahal's first three albums, the Jessie Ed Davis on slide guitar. Would be a great blues Classics pick. Columbia usually is pretty good about preserving their master tapes (there was a decent Pure Pleasure reissue of Natch'l Blues with bonus tracks, but hard to find in America nowadays).

They should do one of Taj Mahal's first three albums, the Jessie Ed Davis on slide guitar. Would be a great blues Classics pick. Columbia usually is pretty good about preserving their master tapes (there was a decent Pure Pleasure reissue of Natch'l Blues with bonus tracks, but hard to find in America nowadays).

VMP did an exclusive of Taj Mahal's self-titled debut already. I think based on the MOV plates if I recall correctly? It is probably one of my most spun VMP records.

My first choice would be The Real Thing, which doesn't have a recent vinyl reissue, but I'd be down for an upgrade on Natch'l Blues or Giant Step too.

My ideal list
1974- Meters- Rejuvenation or Shuggie Otis- Inspiration Information
1973- Sly and the Family Stone- Fresh, Sun Ra- Space is the Place
1976- Parliament- Clones, Marvin Gaye- I Want You
Marvin Gaye - I Want You = ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️💎💎💎🍾🍸🍇

I would absolutely love Sly and The Family Stone’s “Fresh” as well! That would be a magnificent Classics ROTM! 😍

Back