Vinyl Me Please Classics

I also added a track and swapped for Purdie Purdie, Idris, and Holiday will be a nice box to end the year on.
giving that Purdie a listen now and I think I may do the same except I'm keeping Big Boi. I was really getting into Wasteland and Everybody's talking cover is pretty cool too,

My 3 month bridge deal expired this month which means I'm getting Billie Holiday for $43 which I'm fine with. I dropped $55 on an AP Billie, but I was pretty sold on Hathaway until I realized my bridge was up. Now that it's time to cough up the cash I'm not so sold on it anymore lol. Might end up passing on that and pull the trigger on one of those AAA John Lee Hookers that have been hanging around and circle back around to Donny. Something tells me it'll hang around.

My 3 month bridge deal expired this month which means I'm getting Billie Holiday for $43 which I'm fine with. I dropped $55 on an AP Billie, but I was pretty sold on Hathaway until I realized my bridge was up. Now that it's time to cough up the cash I'm not so sold on it anymore lol. Might end up passing on that and pull the trigger on one of those AAA John Lee Hookers that have been hanging around and circle back around to Donny. Something tells me it'll hang around.
Yeah, I'm sure the Donny Hathaway ROTM will stay in store for a long time! Big Boi and Billie Holiday I'm not too sure though. I think Billie Holiday will at least stay in store for a few months, but I can imagine the Big Boi selling out within a month!

What exactly is a 'mono fold down'? It sounds like it's something not good at all if it's 'worthless'! 😱

A fold down is when, rather than making a unique mix for the mono version of a record, they just get the two stereo channels and sum them into the middle. This will generally produce something inferior sounding and can sometimes lead to instruments or vocals being a big buried in the mix

taken from here

A fold down is when, rather than making a unique mix for the mono version of a record, they just get the two stereo channels and sum them into the middle. This will generally produce something inferior sounding and can sometimes lead to instruments or vocals being a big buried in the mix

taken from here
Oh no!!! This does not sound good at all! Hopefully the Donny Hathaway is not a fold down then, that would be disappointing and as a result, would probably be the worst sounding Classics ROTM VMP have ever released!

I believe there was a white label promo version released at the time of release but no I don’t believe a wide release of the mono was ever available.

Yeah, that is what I can decipher from the discogs listings as well. The only white label mono listed was a promotional copy for radio stations

Really!?!?! That seems like a good thing then I guess! And the fact that the Donny Hathaway will be AAA seems really promising too!
Yeah, let's hope so. Would be nice for VMP or the mastering engineer or somebody to comment about it. I tried to find their usual "Why did we pick this album" article on the website but couldn't find it - they often address this kind of stuff there.

I mean my question for the mono Hathaway would be...why.

The promo copies for the radio station were likely due to its format as many people still listened to the radio in single speaker devices at work, etc then. If recorded in two track then it's pretty obvious that an arranger on the tier of Hathaway would have preferred this to be heard in stereo. This isn't like those early 60's albums that were cut in mono then released in stereo

I mean my question for the mono Hathaway would be...why.

The promo copies for the radio station were likely due to its format as many people still listened to the radio in single speaker devices at work, etc then. If recorded in two track then it's pretty obvious that an arranger on the tier of Hathaway would have preferred this to be heard in stereo. This isn't like those early 60's albums that were cut in mono then released in stereo
If the DJ copy was a fold, then would they have created a "mono master tape" as opposed to just folding the stereo tape when cutting? Just wondering if them claiming that might point one way or another.

Are you saying you read somewhere that there definitely wasn't a mono mic or mix made in the studio?

The only comments I have found on it are one person on sh.tv listened to the HDtracks and claimed it wasn't a fold (obviously not definitive).

Back