Vinyl Me Please Classics

Seems like these could fit for the October Classic:

Frank Sinatra, Francis A. & Edward K.
Sun Ra, Continuation
The Jazz Composer's Orchestra, S/T
Peter Brotzmann, Machine Gun

i believe machine gun was guessed in their twitter threads before and they said it hadn't been guessed yet afterwards

Oh wow, if it is JCO then this is a massive coincidence as I listened to for the first time in a while just last Friday. Had the box spread out on my table and read the supplements as it was spinning.

Have to say though, they would have to do something really special to top the box set. The session photos included within the booklet are some of the best I have ever seen in a record release.

IMG_2242.jpg

This would be pretty great. I think it’s definitely a frontrunner.
This is another which would bring in a lot of the non-VMP-subbed jazz crowd. Its a killer record and the OG is pretty scarce. In fact, apart from an AP pressing a few years ago I don't think it has had a proper reissue for decades!

Oh wow, if it is JCO then this is a massive coincidence as I listened to for the first time in a while just last Friday. Had the box spread out on my table and read the supplements as it was spinning.

Have to say though, they would have to do something really special to top the box set. The session photos included within the booklet are some of the best I have ever seen in a record release.

View attachment 66181
That's the original release, right? Has it been reissued as a box?

I really hope the 1970 Soul pick for the December Classics ROTM is Diana Ross’ debut! 🤞

Did Storf confirm on Twitter that the Classics Soul pick is NOT Minnie Riperton!?! 🤔

I am going to keep trying to speak Charles Mingus into existence.

Mingus cofounded the Debut record label with his wife Celia and Max Roach.

In 1957 the label went defunct and right after he released 'East Coasting', an underrated album that has seen virtually no high quality reissues. The album also happens to feature Bill Evans on piano.

Idk why, but this album feels like the sort of thing the Classics track would curate.

That's the original release, right? Has it been reissued as a box?
Yeah this is the first pressing. They released it as a 2lp gatefold and as a 2lp box set. There's not really much difference between the 2 that I can see, apart from the fact that my copy of the box set came with 2 double sided typewritten sheets of an additional interview. Can't see that in the Discogs listing so maybe that just came with a limited number? Either way, its a good one.

In 1957 the label went defunct and right after he released 'East Coasting', an underrated album that has seen virtually no high quality reissues. The album also happens to feature Bill Evans on piano.

Idk why, but this album feels like the sort of thing the Classics track would curate.

Yeah but the cofounded clue is for the 1968 jazz album. Hopefully one day we get a Mingus Classics soon though. Oh Yeah, CM Presents CM, or Blues & Roots would be killer picks in addition to East Coasting.

Absolutely fantastic and underrated Mingus. I mentioned it earlier that he’s only released two albums on Bethlehem. Bethlehem has quite nice sound quality too for late 50’s, especially in the early days of stereo. The 70’s Japanese reissue in stereo is fantastic. Never heard an original.

I really hope the 1970 Soul pick for the December Classics ROTM is Diana Ross’ debut! 🤞

Did Storf confirm on Twitter that the Classics Soul pick is NOT Minnie Riperton!?! 🤔

Yeah he said no Minnie and No Curtis. I think Diana Ross seems like a very likely choice. Maybe Donny Hathaway being the 2nd most realistic possibility to me at this point.

Yeah he said no Minnie and No Curtis. I think Diana Ross seems like a very likely choice. Maybe Donny Hathaway being the 2nd most realistic possibility to me at this point.
Donny Hathaway would be a great pick, an outstanding one really! However, Speakers Corner recently reissued the album and the pressing sounds great! I love it, and for that reason, I’m hoping that VMP don’t do Donny Hathaway’s Everything is Everything!

Donny Hathaway would be a great pick, an outstanding one really! However, Speakers Corner recently reissued the album and the pressing sounds great! I love it, and for that reason, I’m hoping that VMP don’t do Donny Hathaway’s Everything is Everything!

Ah, yeah I see that was reissued by SC just last year, not sure how I missed that release.

Could Hank Mobley's 2nd Message be the November pick from 1957? He had two Prestige leader albums, even though Tenor Conclave also lists his name first (of four tenor players who are co-leaders).

What about “The Story of Moondog” for the 57 release? I think he qualifies as having released only two albums on Prestige since the first self titled one was a reissue. Never thought of it because it’s not particularly “jazz” but I suppose it could be classified as that from Storf. Incredibly rare record too and features a Warhol cover.

Back