Vinyl Me Please Classics

Disappointed with the Willie Bobo choice, disappointed with the swap options. This makes me sad. If I can't find something I like I'll just find something to flip but that's not what I signed up for.

I moved my "main track" from essentials over to classics. Even though I don't feel super excited by this pick, I've pretty much liked every classics that I've gotten so far regardless of whether I think I'm going to or not. I'm only going to add any essential picks on if I'm like super excited for the selection (this month ain't it).
I did the very same thing. I tend to like more of the classics choices, besides, I need to expand my Jazz/soul/blues listening and this is a great way to do it.

I just don't get this pick. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Willie Bobo. However, this is one of his weakest albums. He has many better albums that aren't widely available either. Also, there are so many Latin Jazz titles by other artists that are inarguably better and hard to come by. I could probably list 50 no problem, from artist like Tito Puente, Mongo Santamaria, Cal Tjader, Machito, Eddie Palmieri, Ray Barretto and I could go on naming names.

At least they are cutting from the original tapes.

My take on Willie Bobo: Based on streaming, I really dig ~50% of the tracks, and agree with some of the other sentiments expressed here that the other 50% is just okay, at best, and elevator-ish filler, at worst. But, given the recent AAA presses they've done, I fully expect that having this on vinyl will make a huge difference. And I think some of the hate is at least somewhat based on the overall negative vibes toward VMP at the moment, fairly or not. Not every Classics pick is going to be a home run, and sometimes a double in the gap is okay.

My take on Willie Bobo: Based on streaming, I really dig ~50% of the tracks, and agree with some of the other sentiments expressed here that the other 50% is just okay, at best, and elevator-ish filler, at worst. But, given the recent AAA presses they've done, I fully expect that having this on vinyl will make a huge difference. And I think some of the hate is at least somewhat based on the overall negative vibes toward VMP at the moment, fairly or not. Not every Classics pick is going to be a home run, and sometimes a double in the gap is okay.
I was considering this... Al Green and SRT sounded way better on their AAA QRP Pressings than they did on Spotify, therefore I am on the fence with a swap temporarily locked in place. A few of the songs are gonna be rough no matter what the record sounds like though.

At this point, if and when I drop Classics, I am basically dropping VMP entirely. It's the only thing really keeping me there. Essentially the completionist aspect.

All and all, I'm with you. Not the greatest choice, but I believe the AAA press will pull it up somewhat. In the end, all of the Classics get some table time over here even if I enjoy several much less than others.

Back