Vinyl Me Please Classics

Just can't see myself spinning McCoy Tyner too often, so I'm diving into the Classics releases I don't have. I love 'em both, so help me choose: Koko Taylor or Eddie Floyd?
Floyd...buy koko off of cogs or reddit...it’s super cheap

I love both releases, but yeah, what he said ^ haha

Just can't see myself spinning McCoy Tyner too often, so I'm diving into the Classics releases I don't have. I love 'em both, so help me choose: Koko Taylor or Eddie Floyd?

I love that Koko Taylor, it's actually one of my favorite classics they've done and it's so strange it still hasn't sold out. I agree though to check current prices on discogs and to swap for the one harder to get. Eddie Floyd is great too.

So here is my experience with the MoFi Kind of Blue pressing. Anyways, I ordered a copy from Music Direct a while ago. When it arrived, it was on translucent vinyl. It looked black, but when held up to the light, it was clear. Anyways, the records had some distortion and surface noise I just couldn't get rid of by wet-washing. I ended up sending that copy back to Music Direct for a replacement. The replacement was your standard black copy.

Before I returned the translucent copy, I made a handful of comments on discogs about it. No one had any information. I asked Music Direct and they didn't know why the copy was not just black vinyl. I come to find out later, via discussions with some folks on Discogs, that the original copy I received was a MoFi "Super Vinyl" test run they did for Kind of Blue. It really hasn't been acknowledged by MoFI, and Music Direct wasn't aware of it, but there's a few folks that have a copy of this pressing. I uploaded a picture of the translucent records and multiple comments on Discogs regarding the Supervinyl KOB, but they have all since been deleted and removed from Discogs. Not sure who did that or why. Strange though. Anyways, if you see a KOB boxset in the wild with a serial number between 12,700 and 13,500, it just may be on MoFi's Supervinyl. For those that are aware of their existence, they are sought after. One sold for $400 on discogs.

Still trying to track down my original photo of the translucent KOB, but I cannot find it on any of my external harddrives.

Here is the listing on Discogs:

I have 13,708 on black vinyl. Wonder if the metalwork was dirty or overused or something for a batch.

Back when we thought there might be a possibility that this month's Classics would be Jimmy Smith's Root Down I started listening to a couple of his other things and ended up picking up a cheap copy of this:

It's kind of a wild mashup of blues, Oliver Nelson's big band jazz, and Smith being soulful on his Hammond. While I don't think it'd ever be picked for Classics, I can totally see it being one of the upcoming Verve reissues in the not-too-distant future. According to Discogs, outside of a Russian reissue a few years back, this never saw re-release after 1966.

And if you don't want to wait and see if it does get reissued, it's still cheap to pick up used too! Highly recommended.

I have an OG of this. Bought it years ago because I knew of Root Down from the Beastie Boys. Note the spelling of the album title. For years I thought it was Hoochie Coochie Man, not Hoochie Cooche Man
R-1600329-1231352740.jpeg.jpg

R-3490443-1531645373-4550.jpeg.jpg

R-4201802-1358397583-1165.jpeg.jpg

R-10001990-1520936695-9064.jpeg.jpg

Not a lot of consistency. :ROFLMAO: It is pronounced Coochie/coochee though, as you can tell by the Muddy Waters original.

Edit: Ha, I forgot the Jimmy Smith version had vocals too, I'm dumb.

Last edited:
so the mofis are not good?

as well as something about super vinyl sounding weird

I have 12712 of the MOFI Kind of Blue and it's a standard black vinyl. No issues with my copy. I think it sounds great.

Can't speak for Kind of Blue, as I'm happy with my RSD mono, but my MoFi Bitches Brew and Silent Way are great.

I have 12712 of the MOFI Kind of Blue and it's a standard black vinyl. No issues with my copy. I think it sounds great.
I just reread the comments on the Discogs listing. The guy that did most of the research on this pressing, said it is somewhere between 12,750 and 13,500. I listed the wrong serial numbers in my original post.

so the mofis are not good?

as well as something about super vinyl sounding weird
Like anything MoFis depend on the mastering and the original source. My Kind of Blue sounds fine to my ears, but I won't pretend to be an expert on how it should sound.

I will say the Dylan and Grateful Dead MoFis I have (and are familiar enough with how they should sound) are amazing.

Like anything MoFis depend on the mastering and the original source. My Kind of Blue sounds fine to my ears, but I won't pretend to be an expert on how it should sound.

I will say the Dylan and Grateful Dead MoFis I have (and are familiar enough with how they should sound) are amazing.
I just picked up Freewheelin Bob Dylan and Bringing it All Back Home 45 monos and holy shit are they awesome. They stomp my originals. I’m kicking myself for not getting Hwy 61 and Blonde on Blonde when they came out.

Love my MoFi Kind of Blue, absolutely ecstatic to own it. Last time I checked Analogue Productions had copies of it left for sale at $60

It sounds awesome to me but I went through three copies and had to return them all for surface noise, and loud pops scattered throughout. Such a let down that I didn’t ever find a clean copy.

It sounds awesome to me but I went through three copies and had to return them all for surface noise, and loud pops scattered throughout. Such a let down that I didn’t ever find a clean copy.
Try the Music On Vinyl pressing! It actually sounds really good! It’s like just as good as the MoFi in my opinion! I have another pressing but it’s nothing special! The MOV 2LP (the second disc having outtakes) sounds really nice though!

I just got the 45RPM Workingman's Dead and it sounds phenomenal. I feel silly but only recently discovered that the ones that say ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING on top are from analogue masters and the ones that say MOBILE FIDELITY SOUND LAB aren't necessarily from original master tapes....I grabbed Dylan New Morning on MoFi recently and it doesn't sound that amazing to me but a lot of my other MoFis sound fantastic. I can also personally vouch for Miles' In A Silent Way sounding awesome. I have a few Miles MoFis and they all sound great to me.

Back