Vinyl Me Please Classics

What do you think about The Temptations "All directions"? That record also was released in 1972.

I think that is a strong candidate. Had a good Speakers Corner release a decade or so ago but it's not easy to find, for cheap at least. I think storf said they were gonna do a Motown Classics sometime soon but I don't remember if he said if it was in the pipeline yet or not.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but Jimmy Smith's Root Down would be a killer Classics pick, and let VMP give a hearty shout out to Beastie Boys and Al Green to boot. It obviously may not work as it's been re-issued as recently as 2016 and is readily available in the marketplace. But given VMP's AAA mania in the Classics track, they might make an exception for this one? Feels like it's been a while since they did a Verve release too, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
I feel like Impulse is gonna be harder for them to do if they want all these to be AAA. Though if they do more Plangent Process masters like the Erroll Garner I wouldn’t complain .

Yeah, that Erroll Garner sounded phenomenal. I am all for Plangent Process any time AAA isn't readily available.

Also throw me aboard the "Verve and Impulse!" bandwagon.

I really hope VMP do a Classics ROTM for Marvin Gaye’s “I Want You” in the future! I’ve got a few pressings of it already, but would love it to get the AAA VMP Classics treatment! 🤞

I love that album so much! It’s got so much sexual chemistry and is so lustful, indulgent, smoky, and sensual! 🍇🍸

Like I want MoFi to do a 2LP 45RPM SuperVinyl pressing of “I Want You” 😂🙏

I really hope VMP do a Classics ROTM for Marvin Gaye’s “I Want You” in the future! I’ve got a few pressings of it already, but would love it to get the AAA VMP Classics treatment! 🤞

I love that album so much! It’s got so much sexual chemistry and is so lustful, indulgent, smoky, and sensual! 🍇🍸

Like I want MoFi to do a 2LP 45RPM SuperVinyl pressing of “I Want You” 😂🙏

I'd take any Marvin, but that would definitely be one my top choices as well. I know there are bunch of reissues of What's Goin On but I'd like to get a proper remaster of that as well. The Mofi ultradisc is too expensive and on top of that they split it into 2 LPs which ruins the flow of the tracks.

I'd take any Marvin, but that would definitely be one my top choices as well. I know there are bunch of reissues of What's Goin On but I'd like to get a proper remaster of that as well. The Mofi ultradisc is too expensive and on top of that they split it into 2 LPs which ruins the flow of the tracks.
The late 80’s Motown reissue of that album is better than the original in my opinion. Probably the best we will hear that album on a single slab for the price.

The late 80’s Motown reissue of that album is better than the original in my opinion. Probably the best we will hear that album on a single slab for the price.

I've heard that from others as well, I'll have to keep an eye out for one! I have an OG that is totally beat up but surprisingly plays through with just a little surface noise, been looking for an upgrade for a while

So for the newest hints on reddit:

Classics: This artist/band has played with/recorded with/ or produced a band/artist/label that VMP has featured in a previous Classics release

Thinking either Return to Forever by Chick Corea or Root Down by Jimmy Smith?
Jimmy played with Donald Byrd, Max Roach, Art Blakey at least. All former Classics artists. Chick recorded with Miles Davis of course, but Miles was in Essentials too not just Classics.....the RHH clue specifies the artist recorded/produced/played with someone from Essentials AND R&HH tracks.......I'm not sure he would specify two tracks for RHH but only one for Classics if the artist was also in Essentials.

So for the newest hints on reddit:

Classics: This artist/band has played with/recorded with/ or produced a band/artist/label that VMP has featured in a previous Classics release

Thinking either Return to Forever by Chick Corea or Root Down by Jimmy Smith?
Jimmy played with Donald Byrd, Max Roach, Art Blakey at least. All former Classics artists. Chick recorded with Miles Davis of course, but Miles was in Essentials too not just Classics.....the RHH clue specifies the artist recorded/produced/played with someone from Essentials AND R&HH tracks.......I'm not sure he would specify two tracks for RHH but only one for Classics if the artist was also in Essentials.
That's almost a non-clue, especially opening it up to label.

Pharoah Sanders obviously has close ties to Alice Coltrane, but since his name is featured in the album title, I wonder if that excluded him?

Have any of the jazz guys not played together? Seems like that would be an easier question to answer. I'm sure you could make most jazz guesses we've given work by recorded with, and definitely by label.

Luther Allison was on Alligator, like Koko Taylor, as well as Motown.

Wikipedia says What Color is Love was 1973, so it's probably not that, since that's what Storf checks. Maybe Occasional Rain? Callier was on Chess like Buddy Guy.

Not sure about Bill Withers, but I'm sure you could make it work.

Dumb, lazy, clue, too many broad qualifiers.

That's almost a non-clue, especially opening it up to label.

Pharoah Sanders obviously has close ties to Alice Coltrane, but since his name is featured in the album title, I wonder if that excluded him?

Have any of the jazz guys not played together? Seems like that would be an easier question to answer. I'm sure you could make most jazz guesses we've given work by recorded with, and definitely by label.

Luther Allison was on Alligator, like Koko Taylor, as well as Motown.

Wikipedia says What Color is Love was 1973, so it's probably not that, since that's what Storf checks. Maybe Occasional Rain? Callier was on Chess like Buddy Guy.

Not sure about Bill Withers, but I'm sure you could make it work.

Dumb, lazy, clue, too many broad qualifiers.
I don’t think it would exclude Pharoah Sanders. Pretty sure VMP has said the Miles Davis/Coltrane record wouldn’t exclude either from being a future Classics release on their own.

Thinking either Return to Forever by Chick Corea...

Great album. There is this version out there for $18 USD:

Now, it's probably not AAA, nor pressed at QRP, and doesn't feature the "Clay Condor treatment" (unnecessarily cropped and over-sharpened in PS) of the cover, but I have it and it sounds good to my (slightly concert-damaged) ears.

Great album. There is this version out there for $18 USD:

Now, it's probably not AAA, nor pressed at QRP, and doesn't feature the "Clay Condor treatment" (unnecessarily cropped and over-sharpened in PS) of the cover, but I have it and it sounds good to my (slightly concert-damaged) ears.
Tangent to this comment, but I read somewhere (a long while ago) that Steve Gadd was the original drummer on this RTF album and those masters were lost/stolen and they hired Lenny White (who is fantastic) to re-record. I'm a huge Gadd fan and he pretty much OWNED 70s fusion for a long while and his list of artists that he plays with is probably unmatched with anyone except the incredible Vinnie Colaiuta.

Had always hoped the original masters of RTF with Gadd would show up one day. Fingers crossed!

Tangent to this comment, but I read somewhere (a long while ago) that Steve Gadd was the original drummer on this RTF album and those masters were lost/stolen and they hired Lenny White (who is fantastic) to re-record. I'm a huge Gadd fan and he pretty much OWNED 70s fusion for a long while and his list of artists that he plays with is probably unmatched with anyone except the incredible Vinnie Colaiuta.

Had always hoped the original masters of RTF with Gadd would show up one day. Fingers crossed!
I assume that you own or have heard the Return to The Seventh Galaxy comp with live Gadd in RTF? It is a killer. I'm a Gadd fan too. The Leprechaun was one of those seminal records for me as I was getting into jazz and the Anthony Jackson/Gadd rhythm section is such a killer (Al DiMeola's records too).

Back