Vinyl Me Please Classics

Still Bill would be really good. Donny Hathaway Live would be even good er

What Color Is Love by Terry Callier would be GREAT.
I'd be down for any of those titles. That Donny Hathaway is fantastic. If you can find it, I also highly recommend the Donny Hathaway Live At The Bitter End vinyl from RSD a few years back.

Does anyone know why we pretty much never get audiophile quality James Brown reissues? Same with other King Records reissues. Mostly just digital transfers it seems.

What about James Brown's "There it is"? I've just streamed it yesterday to check it out for the album thread. It's an amazing album in my opinion, especially his song "King Heroin" is very impressive.
If VMP have informally banned artists for various domestic abuse convictions and accusations I would assume they wouldn't touch James Brown with a ten foot pole... but who knows.

If VMP have informally banned artists for various domestic abuse convictions and accusations I would assume they wouldn't touch James Brown with a ten foot pole... but who knows.

I don't recall ever hearing an official stance from them, I just thought it was Storf hating Nas. (I might be wrong though 🤷)

What about James Brown's "There it is"? I've just streamed it yesterday to check it out for the album thread. It's an amazing album in my opinion, especially his song "King Heroin" is very impressive.

Some James Brown would fit classics and his discography is big enough to choose a lesser known album. King Heroin is on Franz Ferdinand's LateNitghtTales. Definitely a good song.

I would love it if they did Luther Ingram's "(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right", that album hasn't been pressed since it was originally released!
Mmmmmmm that would be such a great pick! Would absolutely love that too! I’m hoping we get Eddie Hendricks “People...Hold On”! Remember discovering that album when I was like only 15 years old because of the Erykah Badu track “My People”! 🤓

Am also hoping we get Donny Hathaway’s “Live” if we don’t get Eddie Hendricks! I actually discovered that recording because of Dr. Dre’s track “Lil Ghetto Boy”, which samples “Little Ghetto Boy”!

Makes me realised that R&B and hip-hop really turned me into a lot of great jazz, soul & funk stuff from the 60’s and 70’s, due to the samples used! 🧠👂🎵

Patrice Rushen’s ROTM was the perfect example! Because I loved the track “I Need You Tonight” by Junior MAFIA featuring Faith Evans! So I looked up the sample and found out Patrice Rushen’s “You Remind Me”! And that song is an absolute gem! 💎

Same case with “Get Money” featuring Lil’ Kim, which was also on that Junior MAFIA album! That sample made me discover Sylvia Striplin and I was like “dayum” when Erykah Badu also heavily sampled it later for her Groovy “Can’t Turn Me Away” track! 🔥🔥🔥

What about Fela Kuti "Roforofo fight"? That would fit well into the Classics and I remember VMP had sold boxsets before.
I want something more soul orientated, with artists like Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Eddie Hendricks, Aretha Franklin, Donny Hathaway, Curtis Mayfield though! 🎙

I absolutely love Fela Kuti though but am craving a 70’s soul release for the Classics ROTM - a bit like the Little Milton ROTM! 💡

Baby monster is hungry for a R&B/Soul Classics ROTM! 😈👾🤤

I want something more soul orientated, with artists like Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Eddie Hendricks, Aretha Franklin, Donny Hathaway, Curtis Mayfield though! 🎙

I absolutely love Fela Kuti though but am craving a 70’s soul release for the Classics ROTM - a bit like the Little Milton ROTM! 💡

Baby monster is hungry for a R&B/Soul Classics ROTM! 😈👾🤤

What do you think about Bill Withers "Still Bill"?

What do you think about Bill Withers "Still Bill"?
I love that album so much! The Music On Vinyl pressing sounds really good but I’d be extremely happy if we were getting an upgrade for that one! A Still Bill 180g AAA pressing, pressed at QRP would be marvellous! Still Bill is a must own for any soul fan in my opinion! However, Bill Withers album after, Justments+, is my favourite album of his! I love that album dearly! It’s majestic, has that morning freshness and intellectual charm to it! Can’t describe it! I love Justments+ so much; it has a special place in my heart ♥️

Am still hoping we get something different like Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway, Eddie Hendricks or Luther Ingram! 🤞

I love that album so much! The Music On Vinyl pressing sounds really good but I’d be extremely happy if we were getting an upgrade for that one! A Still Bill 180g AAA pressing, pressed at QRP would be marvellous! Still Bill is a must own for any soul fan in my opinion! However, Bill Withers album after, Justments+, is my favourite album of his! I love that album dearly! It’s majestic, has that morning freshness and intellectual charm to it! Can’t describe it! I love Justments+ so much; it has a special place in my heart ♥

Am still hoping we get something different like Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway, Eddie Hendricks or Luther Ingram! 🤞

Lots of amazing possibilities for Classics. A really strong year with so many great records. ❤ I'm looking forward to the next clue.

Last edited:
What about Fela Kuti "Roforofo fight"? That would fit well into the Classics and I remember VMP had sold boxsets before.
I would love some Fela, but could anything Fela be AAA at this point? Didn't Storf say AAA for the near future?

Also, I would rather it were Shakara since I actually have a good 70s copy of Roforofo Fight, but obviously that's selfish.

Back