Vinyl Me Please Classics

So the consensus is to keep the Albert classic and not swap out for credit / something else?

Do you like it? Will you spin it? Do you have other Albert King in your collection? If you like it, get it. I can't imagine it's ever sounded better than this remaster, but it's your collection, not mine.

Fwiw, I'm unsubscribed and have Born Under the Bad Sign, Lovejoy, and In Session (w/ SRV), so I wasn't tempted to come back for a record of covers, as I'm trying to follow the "Curate, not accumulate" mantra.

Do you like it? Will you spin it? Do you have other Albert King in your collection? If you like it, get it. I can't imagine it's ever sounded better than this remaster, but it's your collection, not mine.

Fwiw, I'm unsubscribed and have Born Under the Bad Sign, Lovejoy, and In Session (w/ SRV), so I wasn't tempted to come back for a record of covers, as I'm trying to follow the "Curate, not accumulate" mantra.
Yeah, I had no Albert King albums and figure this would be a bad jumping in point but then I listened to it and while I think every LP you named would be a much better place to start, This album is easy to listen to, everyone knows the songs by heart and they are a fun take on these classics, I have a feeling I will probably end up spinning this more than I think I would.

Yeah, I had no Albert King albums and figure this would be a bad jumping in point but then I listened to it and while I think every LP you named would be a much better place to start, This album is easy to listen to, everyone knows the songs by heart and they are a fun take on these classics, I have a feeling I will probably end up spinning this more than I think I would.

Yeah, I streamed it a couple times and thought it was a fun record and way better than the initial conceit of the record led me to believe.

If I was still subscribed I probably would've kept it, but as I'm unsubscribed, I didn't think it was good enough to rejoin for (if that makes sense).

Yeah, I streamed it a couple times and thought it was a fun record and way better than the initial conceit of the record led me to believe.

If I was still subscribed I probably would've kept it, but as I'm unsubscribed, I didn't think it was good enough to rejoin for (if that makes sense).
Totally. I would not have gone out of my way to purchase it but I kept White Stripes and figured $23 for this, why not?

Yea--not sure I would rejoin for it, but if I was a member I'd grab a copy!

Did anyone else take Latin and their teacher made them translate then sing these Elvis songs translated into Latin by a Finnish professor? Did this pick make you really want to listen to It's Now or Never/Nunc Hic Aut Numquam? Alright, just me then.

View attachment 49264
I wish! All we got were translations of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the Pledge of Allegiance.

If this was just a cover album of a mix of blues standards no one would say a thing about it. But since it's a cover album of one artist's tunes (which were all covers of other artists' tunes to start with) there is a stigma for some reason because tribute albums aren't cool I guess. It's dumb.

I think the biggest stigma is that they just seem "different" because the Elvis versions are so ubiquitous. Where-as if you get an album of King renditions that you are not already very familiar with, they will seem more "new and original".

I, for one, can't wait to get this record in the mail. I will be honest, though, some of the versions do sound a little "off" to my ears, since I have been made to listen to A LOT of Elvis recordings for the last 4 years. Girlfriend's family is an Elvis family. I'm looking forward to letting this record spin a few times, though, and getting more familiar with the sound.

If this was just a cover album of a mix of blues standards no one would say a thing about it. But since it's a cover album of one artist's tunes (which were all covers of other artists' tunes to start with) there is a stigma for some reason because tribute albums aren't cool I guess. It's dumb.
I agree with this. Especially when so many blues/jazz/soul/etc. albums by some of the biggest names do, in-fact, contain a lot of covers.

Last edited:
Not everyone who didn't get it is saying it is just because it is covers. For me it just isn't that great of an album. It's fine, but I don't need it. I only lamented the fact it wasn't a King album that I wanted in my collection. I don't have any King albums yet and I could take or leave this one, so I passed. If it was all blues standards, or original content that sounded the same I'd feel the same way. If it was a King album that I thought was great, even if it was all covers, I would have picked it up, simple as that.

Edit: Want to add I'm happy for everyone who is excited about the pick and for those who hadn't listened to King before, hope they check out some more of his stuff, as I'm sure they'd enjoy it.

Last edited:
In case anyone cares, here's some more info on the release date. Potentially released as early as May 1969.

Text on page 3:
Stax's 2 Mil. Meeting – Gets Fountain Distrib

MEMPHIS – The Stax complex of labels (Stax/Volt/Hip) racked up sales in excess of $2 million for the 27 albums and 30 singles previewed at its distributor-sales meeting here. In addition, Jim Stewart, president of Stax Records, a division of Paramount Pictures, revealed that the firm has taken over distribution of Fountain Record Co. of Chicago.

The Fountain Record Co. is owned by singer Jerry Butler and Clavin Carter. According to Stewart, Butler and Carter will produce the records and Stax will distribute them.

Included in the album releases are Booker T. and the MG's, Eddie Floyd, Johnnie Taylor, John Lee Hooker, William Bell, Albert King, the Staple Singers, the Soul Children, Carla Thomas, Steve Cropper, Pop Staples, Ollie and the Nightingales, Rufus Thomas, the Mar-keys, J. J. Barnes and Steve Mancha, Darrell Banks, the Bar-Kays, Mad Lads, the Emotions and Isaac Hayes.

More than 200 members of the press attended the meeting that included a tour of Stax Record Co., and a dinner-show by Rufus Thomas, the Bar-Kays, Eddie Floyd, Johnnie Taylor, Carla Thomas, the Knowbody Else, Booker T. and the MG's, and the Staple Singers.

The 27 albums are illustrated on pages 18 & 19 (four of which are VMP selections). Supposedly this was referred to as the Stax "sales blitz."

So the consensus is to keep the Albert classic and not swap out for credit / something else?

I'm not keeping it, but mostly because I still want Little Milton. I streamed it and liked it but, as I said in an earlier post, I can't see myself playing it again. But that's just me. I don't know why, but I do like the fact that they chose it.

Edit: I may just use it for store credit and apply it to an Analogue Production purchase.

Back