Vinyl Me Please Classics

Did storf really say that the March album from 1982 will be the "biggest classics release yet"? If so that makes it a real head-scratcher as far as great albums go. I feel like doing Thriller, which doesn't really fit with most other classics pics, is about as likely as doing the Bill Cosby album from that year, right? So what is it going to be? Marvin Gaye? Seems like a weird choice given any pick of his albums.
My instinct is strongly hinting that it might be this:
View attachment 30166

They've gone a little crate-digger-y/hip-hop-sample-ish with some of their classics and a fair amount of their exclusives in the last year.

So... ummm...

I'll just leave this 1982 album here, and, if you get the reference, I love you:

1579741287436.png

Shalamar has been sampled by e v e r y b o d y. I'd love an album from them 😄

I love this album so much that I have like ten variants of this on vinyl, cd, and cassette, but is this "crate-diggerish"?

I could ask the same question about the Patrice Rushen album suggested earlier, but then again they might be superstars only in my mind. :whistle:

I love this album so much that I have like ten variants of this on vinyl, cd, and cassette, but is this "crate-diggerish"?

I could ask the same question about the Patrice Rushen album suggested earlier, but then again they might be superstars only in my mind. :whistle:
I confess I don't follow clues or much at all anymore, and mostly still follow the threads for y'all's musical knowledge and curiosity. don't know what or when Shalamar was a reference to.

BUT while I know them, the average listener my age or younger would not (aka storf et al), so maybe they are crate-diggery in certain scenes. also, with the wide scope of artists sampling them, the whole "your favorite band's favorite band" thing has a sorta "crate dig" ring in write-ups.

It's crate-digger-ish to people who have never dug in a crate in their life. Never thought I'd ever see a Shalamar record labelled as crate-diggerish but here we are.

Shalamar is like $2 discount bin records in my mind.. just to give another perspective.

They've gone a little crate-digger-y/hip-hop-sample-ish with some of their classics and a fair amount of their exclusives in the last year.

So... ummm...

I'll just leave this 1982 album here, and, if you get the reference, I love you:

View attachment 30196

Patrice Rushen's music has been sampled and lifted by practically everyone. Her fourth Elektra release and seventh overall album, 1982's Straight from the Heart has surprisingly become largely sought after among crate diggers, soul enthusiasts, and DJs alike. A well-oiled melding of R&B, dance, and jazz, Heart scored the perfect blend of accessibility and swagger that kept the neon suburban kids and the fly B-boys and B-girls of the projects grooving across the nation. Every song sparkles with meticulous charm and cool urgency that defines the very essence of the post-disco R&B era.

Patrice Rushen's music has been sampled and lifted by practically everyone. Her fourth Elektra release and seventh overall album, 1982's Straight from the Heart has surprisingly become largely sought after among crate diggers, soul enthusiasts, and DJs alike. A well-oiled melding of R&B, dance, and jazz, Heart scored the perfect blend of accessibility and swagger that kept the neon suburban kids and the fly B-boys and B-girls of the projects grooving across the nation. Every song sparkles with meticulous charm and cool urgency that defines the very essence of the post-disco R&B era.

I've known crate diggers my entire life and never, not once, has Patrice Rushen come up. DJs too.. not sure what circles you'r travelling in but most definitely in hip-hop circles, she is not considered crate-digger material at all.

Also using a Will Smith song and a dope albeit old Mary J song as proof are not really doing it for me, but ymmv.

I've known crate diggers my entire life and never, not once, has Patrice Rushen come up. DJs too.. not sure what circles you'r travelling in but most definitely in hip-hop circles, she is not considered crate-digger material at all.

Also using a Will Smith song and a dope albeit old Mary J song as proof are not really doing it for me, but ymmv.

Her music, particularly her Elektra canon, can't at all be described as obscure or lesser-known among crate diggers, but from many circles I've been around, she's definitely a favorite. "Remind Me" is regarded as a goldmine groove when it comes to source material (sampling) in hip-hop and R&B worlds. I personally can't think of any other black album from 1982 that fits the bill (I mean, I can, but...)

Last edited:
Her music, particularly her Elektra period output, can't at all be described as obscure or lesser-known among crate diggers, but from many circles I've encountered, she's definitely a favorite. "Remind Me" is regarded as a goldmine groove when it comes to source material (sampling) in hip-hop and R&B worlds. I personally can't think of any other black album from 1982 that fits the bill (I mean, I can, but...)
I really hope we get Patrice Rushen!!!
🤞😩🤞😩🤞😩

Just imagine having an AAA, 180g, quality pressing of that record. Why!?!? Because when you drop the needle on the first track and crank up the volume......oh my gosh.......like it would be orgasmic! Like, I’d actually be grooving so hard to that funky, fat baseline in Forget Me Nots! Forget Me Nots also feels so rich and luxurious and has a runway model sound too!

I really hope we get Patrice Rushen, but I have a feeling we won’t get it! 🤷‍♂️😅😫

I really hope we get Patrice Rushen!!!
🤞😩🤞😩🤞😩

Just imagine having an AAA, 180g, quality pressing of that record. Why!?!? Because when you drop the needle on the first track and crank up the volume......oh my gosh.......like it would be orgasmic! Like, I’d actually be grooving so hard to that funky, fat baseline in Forget Me Nots! Forget Me Nots also feels so rich and luxurious and has a runway model sound too!

I really hope we get Patrice Rushen, but I have a feeling we won’t get it! 🤷‍♂️😅😫
I believe it's been confirmed that month won't be AAA.

Her music, particularly her Elektra period output, can't at all be described as obscure or lesser-known among crate diggers, but from many circles I've been around, she's definitely a favorite. "Remind Me" is regarded as a goldmine groove when it comes to source material (sampling) in hip-hop and R&B worlds. I personally can't think of any other black album from 1982 that fits the bill (I mean, I can, but...)
I think of the albums we've talked about, Computer Games wins the sample war, doesn't it?

Edit:But since when does a popular album that's been sampled a lot have anything to do with crate diggers?

It wasn't my intent to imply it was "crate-diggerish."
I was more implying that there seems to be a theme of picking albums that are prominently sampled.

I think of the albums we've talked about, Computer Games wins the sample war, doesn't it?

Edit:But since when does a popular album that's been sampled a lot have anything to do with crate diggers?

I think this is what is throwing me here. Being sampled a bunch and crate diggerish rarely go hand in hand, minus maybe a few examples but an r&b/soul record released on a major label in 1982 was never in any of those discussions unless the warehouse that held them all in burned to the ground.

Several times. Silm pickings to choose from in the "popular" arena, yes, but it's possible. George's Computer Games could be a contender, but so can Patrice as well. As for what and what doesn't qualify as "crate-digger" designated, it's all subjective. This is where Vinyl Me, Please (and other subscription-based clubs) need to apply more specificity to their descriptions when curating their selections.

Last edited:
Last Hint:

Storf: "But the album WAS in the first VMP book."

Pretty sure that locks in Aretha Now as it's the only one in the book!

Nice, I'm glad I have one month left for the moment on my sub. Hopefully this one will arrive at some point.

Do we know if the last reissue (2018) of Lady Soul is any good ?

Back