Vinyl Me Please Classics

You can probably find an original for the same price as that MOV reissue. The MOV is almost certainly digital even though their reissues are pretty good and pressed well.

Ah okay. just from looking at their site I kinda figured this. No mention of source or master so probably digital. Thanks! I'll go original.

I haven't spent a lot of time with this album, so I'll give it another chance. Just seems like a major bummer that this is the only Herbie album we'll get. Unless they pick Future Shock for RHH :rolleyes:

I haven't spent a lot of time with this album, so I'll give it another chance. Just seems like a major bummer that this is the only Herbie album we'll get. Unless they pick Future Shock for RHH :rolleyes:

Well, unless we get...
Maiden Voyage
or Empyrean Isles
or Headhunters
or Mwandishi
or Crossings
or Gershwin's World
or <insert your favourite Herbie album>
as an Essential RotM.

Well, unless we get...
Maiden Voyage
or Empyrean Isles
or Headhunters
or Mwandishi
or Crossings
or Gershwin's World
or <insert your favourite Herbie album>
as an Essential RotM.
Have they done a Jazz album as Essentials since there were 3 tracks? Seems unlikely to me, but would be cool.

Awesome play. Any clue if the Music on Vinyl pressing is decent? Not sure if MoV is decent or how they source.

MOV can be hit or miss, but they hit more often than they miss. Their source is usually upsampled Redbook, though occasionally they do use an analog source. The mastering is usually well done and the sound quality, while not necessarily on an audiophile grade level, is usually pretty good

This Herbie album is interesting, reminds me of Pat Metheny Group which is not a connection I would have made without hearing it!

...still, of ALL the great Herbie albums... this one?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this may have been the only one they could acquire rights to and get the tapes for. It looks like most of the other key Herbie albums are being released on trusted labels including BN Tone Poet and Music Matters. Perhaps there are upcoming releases we don't know about.
While I fully understand the frustration around this pick (and I too am disappointed), it's definitely not the worst pick they've made for Classics and if it gets the full AAA treatment, will likely sound pretty darn good. I'm tempted to swap this one but not nearly as tempted or determined to swap as some of the last few. To me, Fania and Lloyd Miller were the worst but that's just my opinion.
I think we would all be more okay with this if swaps had better options and worked properly (including changing your swap if needed)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this may have been the only one they could acquire rights to and get the tapes for. It looks like most of the other key Herbie albums are being released on trusted labels including BN Tone Poet and Music Matters. Perhaps there are upcoming releases we don't know about.
While I fully understand the frustration around this pick (and I too am disappointed), it's definitely not the worst pick they've made for Classics and if it gets the full AAA treatment, will likely sound pretty darn good. I'm tempted to swap this one but not nearly as tempted or determined to swap as some of the last few. To me, Fania and Lloyd Miller were the worst but that's just my opinion.
I think we would all be more okay with this if swaps had better options and worked properly (including changing your swap if needed)

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Fania pick. For people that like Salsa music, that album is a straight classic. Now of course, if you aren't into Salsa naturally you won't like the pick. But you could say that about any genre.

Back