Vinyl Me Please Classics

I assumed the same. I bet they had a ton made based on the popularity of Miles.

Much like Mr. Hands, Sorcerer is not a bad album but definitely a bit of a head-scratcher as a ROTM choice. It probably sold a lot slower than they expected. I was able to grab a copy back when VMP had halfway decent sales, for $16.

Much like Mr. Hands, Sorcerer is not a bad album but definitely a bit of a head-scratcher as a ROTM choice. It probably sold a lot slower than they expected. I was able to grab a copy back when VMP had halfway decent sales, for $16.

Yeah I never really understood that pick. At least 20 Miles albums are better, which says something about the incredible amount of classics and near classics he put out, because Sorcerer would be in the running for best album of just about any other jazz musician. And a good handful of those haven't been reissued to death.

Yeah I never really understood that pick. At least 20 Miles albums are better, which says something about the incredible amount of classics and near classics he put out, because Sorcerer would be in the running for best album of just about any other jazz musician. And a good handful of those haven't been reissued to death.

Storf has half-jokingly said in the past that one of the main reasons Sorcerer was picked was because he didn't have a copy in his own collection. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up saying the same for Mr. Hands.

Storf has half-jokingly said in the past that one of the main reasons Sorcerer was picked was because he didn't have a copy in his own collection. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up saying the same for Mr. Hands.
I think he said it again recently on Reddit and didn't seem to be joking at all.

I think he said it again recently on Reddit and didn't seem to be joking at all.
He has stated the same thing regarding Shotgun Willie every time I has suggested it as the next Willie Nelson release. He replies it won’t be that because he already has a copy. Pay no mind that it is one of his most popular records and one sorely in need of a repress.

Ironically, I had 3 Miles albums on vinyl at the time: a vintage Bitches Brew, and reissues of In A Silent Way and Sorcerer. Just about any decent Miles album would have been new to my collection but that was the selection.

For the record, I really wanted "Filles de Kilimanjaro".

He has stated the same thing regarding Shotgun Willie every time I has suggested it as the next Willie Nelson release. He replies it won’t be that because he already has a copy. Pay no mind that it is one of his most popular records and one sorely in need of a repress.
This kind of stuff is what makes people not like Storf.

Personally, I love Sorcerer but won’t keep Mr Hands.

Exactly this. I am a Miles nut. The Second Quintet is probably my favorite group of all time (followed by Coltrane 4tet and Jarret's American 4tet). This means I have multiple copies of Sorcerer, including the Mosaic, MoFi and the mono, so I never considered picking this up. I also think this is digitally sourced.

As a new member that joined with Freedom Rider, I had high hopes. I've still not received my Celia and Johnny (or December or one other I bought) and between all of the mess right now and Mr. Hands, my enthusiasm has plummeted. As for Mr. Hands, I have a mint promo copy so I am going to swap. Honestly, besides the cut with Carter and Williams and the cut with Jaco, it's a good but not great record. There are way better picks for 1980 but I'm not confident that the curation team has a deep knowledge of the music, or certainly not as deep as they seem to think they have.

I do find it amusing that people who subscribe to a music curation service are annoyed that it's not curated the way they desire it to be.

See my comment above. Speaking for myself, my assumption was that the curators have a deep knowledge of the genres they are presenting, especially Classics which addresses some over a century old music (excepting hip hop of course since its newer). It simply doesn't appear to be the case. A trip to Memphis a few years ago doesnt make you an expert.

I will remain optimistic but recent evidence does not support this state of being.

I do find it amusing that people who subscribe to a music curation service are annoyed that it's not curated the way they desire it to be.
I disagree that it is explicitly a music curation service. Some people treat it like one and get every album and like it. Some people, like me, treat it as any other reissue company, and get only the albums that they want, which are not at all a majority of their "curation."

And when you have one of the curators saying his picks are more based on what he still needs to add to his collection, as opposed to how good they are, that is hardly a quality basis for curation and merits criticism.

Back