Vinyl Me Please Classics

God I hope it isn't Mr Hands.

Im saying that as a massive fan of Herbie Hancock (I saw him live last month and im halfway through his autobiography), but out of all his albums this would be a super poor pick, especially considering they dont tend to put out albums by the same artist twice.
My context for less-than-enjoyable Herbie Hancock is Lite Me Up.

How would you say Mr. Hands compared to that? I’ve actually never heard it before.

My context for less-than-enjoyable Herbie Hancock is Lite Me Up.

How would you say Mr. Hands compared to that? I’ve actually never heard it before.
Ok so Herbie's move into the more heavy electronic/synth sound started in 1972 when he met Patrick Gleeson. Gleeson wasn't actually a jazz musician (I believe he had a doctorate in English and began experimenting with the Moog in the later 60's). So the first album to go down this path was 'Crossings' in 1972. The reason I point this out is because the further we venture from this, the less 'Jazz' is seen as he attempts to blur the lines between genres.

So, Mr. Hands is deep in the electronic/fusion era BUT still maintains some level of recognizable jazz. Lite Me Up is perhaps 4-5 albums after BUT importantly has very little recognisable jazz, I would describe it as a disco album personally. If you listen to Future Shock, which was the next release after Lite Me Up, hes moved again to the pure electronic sound (you might be familiar with Rockit?).

The reason I would personally be annoyed if they went with Mr. Hands is because its not even an obscure album which best shows off Herbies work, imo. If they were looking for a pick which would be unexpected BUT shows off Herbies talents then I think Mwandishi would have been a cool pick. Its an era which really really influenced him, he became an activist after forming the band, a vegan, later a Buddist, and claims that a a live show from that time produced the greatest music he had ever created.

Last edited:
Ok so Herbie's move into the more heavy electronic/synth sound started in 1972 when he met Patrick Gleeson. Gleeson wasn't actually a jazz musician (I believe he had a doctorate in English and began experimenting with the Moog in the later 60's). So the first album to go down this path was 'Crossroads' in 1972. The reason I point this out is because the further we venture from this, the less 'Jazz' is seen as he attempts to blur the lines between genres.

So, Mr. Hands is deep in the electronic/fusion era BUT still maintains some level of recognizable jazz. Lite Me Up is perhaps 4-5 albums after BUT importantly has very little recognisable jazz, I would describe it as a disco album personally. If you listen to Future Shock, which was the next release after Lite Me Up, hes moved again to the pure electronic sound (you might be familiar with Rockit?).

The reason I would personally be annoyed if they went with Mr. Hands is because its not even an obscure album which best shows off Herbies work, imo. If they were looking for a pick which would be unexpected BUT shows off Herbies talents then I think Mwandishi would have been a cool pick. Its an era which really really influenced him, he became an activist after forming the band, a vegan, later a Buddist, and claims that a a live show from that time produced the greatest music he had ever created.
I actually have heard Mwandishi and can agree that seems like more in line with what we’ve grown to expect out of a classics pick.

Thanks for the mini workshop on Hancock, btw! Always great to have some perspective.

I actually have heard Mwandishi and can agree that seems like more in line with what we’ve grown to expect out of a classics pick.

Thanks for the mini workshop on Hancock, btw! Always great to have some perspective.
Glad im not the only one to think it would have been a good pick!

Ah man, I love geeking out over this stuff. The amount of useless stuff I have read is crazy 🤣

I suppose with the new site, there is still the possibility that you get your items before you get the notification changed on the site... like happened at times in the past.
Nope. Aretha and King stilled reading as UNFULFILLED on my orders page. Not gonna make a big deal about it until the 15th though, after that then we’re allowed to bring out the pitchforks 🔥🔥🔥

Im saying that as a massive fan of Herbie Hancock (I saw him live last month and im halfway through his autobiography), but out of all his albums this would be a super poor pick, especially considering they dont tend to put out albums by the same artist twice.

So I had never heard of Mr. Hands tbh, but I just listened to most of it for the first time. I actually quite like most of the record on the first listen, but completely agree that it would be a terrible pick. This album is good at best. I mean out of all the brilliant albums Herbie has made, how do you end up here. There are loads of underrated masterpieces of his that are screaming for a good reissue.

So I had never heard of Mr. Hands tbh, but I just listened to most of it for the first time. I actually quite like most of the record on the first listen, but completely agree that it would be a terrible pick. This album is good at best. I mean out of all the brilliant albums Herbie has made, how do you end up here. There are loads of underrated masterpieces of his that are screaming for a good reissue.

I think it would be a cool exclusive but I’d hate to waste Herbie’s Classics pick on it.

Seems like Mr. Hands is mostly confirmed.

Yeah, it's Mr. Hands

I'm like you. I like that album and would play it. But there are tons of Herbie albums to pick from that are better, and above all, that would be more universally appreciated. 80s soul jazz is very niche.

The real classics this month is gonna be me hounding CS to swap Mr. Hands for Ray Charles.

FWIW, Ray Charles was pressed at Rainbo...and likely one of the last runs before they closed shop. I'd be hesitant to go for that until some reviews start coming in. Quality out of Rainbo has been disastrous for years. No clue what their last projects will look like

Back