Vinyl Me Please Classics

Damn I really thought it’d be Diana Ross.

Umm... I can’t think of any notable jazz off the top of my head from that year. I hope to God they don’t do Herbie album from this time period. It’d be such a waste.
Agreed. Mr. Hands is OK but Monster is straight trash. Either would be a huge letdown though.

Just a reminder that VMP equates Oriental Jazz as being "out there" so take "not playing it safe" with a really big grain of salt

Given the polarizing opinions of it, I at the very least would consider it "not playing it safe."

On that note...

I threw out Pat Methany's 80/81 as a guess which would be a well-known artist and... well, I'm not sure how obscure that album is. Probably not obscure enough.

Given the polarizing opinions of it, I at the very least would consider it "not playing it safe."

On that note...

I threw out Pat Methany's 80/81 as a guess which would be a well-known artist and... well, I'm not sure how obscure that album is. Probably not obscure enough.

The Crate Dig from a well known artists leads me to...

Herbie Hancock - Mr. Hands

Not sure I'd want that to be the Herbie album they use for Classics, but...

It’s gotta be Herbie then which is a little disappointing. Some of that album really hasn’t aged well at all with the vintage computer (Apple II!) sounds and what not. The featured performers on the album are insane though. Tony Williams, Ron Carter, a reunited Head Hunters and more... I listened to it twice today. It’s fine.

Possibly Joe Henderson- Mirror Mirror? Never heard the album but the quartet looks solid: Joe, Chick Corea, Billy Higgins and Ron Carter. It came out on MPS. This is definitely more of a crate digger than Mr Hands but I don’t have a lot of confidence it will be the Joe Henderson album.

Possibly Joe Henderson- Mirror Mirror? Never heard the album but the quartet looks solid: Joe, Chick Corea, Billy Higgins and Ron Carter. It came out on MPS. This is definitely more of a crate digger than Mr Hands but I don’t have a lot of confidence it will be the Joe Henderson album.
Nevermind. That one just got what looks like a high quality reissue in 2016 :(

Back