Vinyl Me Please Classics

This makes me hopeful for other archival stuff.

Just from Blue Note, we have:
Lee Morgan - Tom Cat
Andrew Hill - Dance With Death
Bobby Hutcherson - Patterns
Bobby Hutcherson - Medina
Larry Young - Mother Ship
Tina Brooks - Minor Move (unlikely)
Wayne Shorter - Etcetera (unlikely)

I think there's more but I'm stopping there.
Great list. As you noted, I doubt it would be the Shorter or Brooks as we have just had the Tone Poet reissues. Tom Cat also has a good 2lp MM pressing with alternative cover design as well. The others would be superb though!!

There are several excellent Blue Note releases from 1980 of sessions recorded in the 60s. Lee Morgan to name just one. Some of these titles have been part of the current Tone Poet reissues.

That thought crossed my mind as well, but considering they just did a Blue Note release in September and they double dipped with another Jazz release in November, I have doubts that January will be jazz, let alone blue note. I'm kinda hoping one of these 2 upcoming 80s classics releases is an archival release of somesort though for already-said reasons

That thought crossed my mind as well, but considering they just did a Blue Note release in September and they double dipped with another Jazz release in November, I have doubts that January will be jazz, let alone blue note. I'm kinda hoping one of these 2 upcoming 80s classics releases is an archival release of somesort though for already-said reasons
So true. Although they are likely aware of @Joe Mac's annoyance at the amount of jazz classics this year so they might keep it going to tip him over the edge.

Not thrilled about 80s classics. That was a terrible era for soul/rb/blues/jazz. Think I might swap this month for something like Willie Bobo, or grab Essentials instead (depending on what it is)
Let the Hater's Hate. I like my Bobo record. It sounds great and has some funky jams on it.

Cecil Taylor - One Too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye would be funny. Don't think they'd do a 3xLP or something that Free Jazz though.

Or maybe Keith Jarrett - Nude Ants. 30 minutes on one side would be a hard cut.

Got two more serious guesses:
Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - 1980

Alberta Hunter - Amtrak Blues

Wouldn't be terribly excited about either but they would make sense.

Cecil Taylor - One Too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye would be funny. Don't think they'd do a 3xLP or something that Free Jazz though.

Or maybe Keith Jarrett - Nude Ants. 30 minutes on one side would be a hard cut.

Got two more serious guesses:
Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - 1980

Alberta Hunter - Amtrak Blues

Wouldn't be terribly excited about either but they would make sense.

Gil Scott-Heron’s Shut ‘Um Down is such a jam off that album!

Last edited:
Back