Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Any particular reason? Records they missed? Records they chose? Something else?

I think better choices could have been made, for sure - especially for the price point. I definitely think Teatro should have been included, but you're never going to make everybody happy and I can let that one go easily enough, but to not have included Phases and Stages is outright criminal and I think does a major disservice to telling Willie's story.

The inclusion of Yesterday's Wine was also disappointing - not because it isn't a great album, but because there is already a top notch audiophile version readily available.

The inclusion of Stardust, quite frankly, is a piss off. Particularly for the price point. Again, great album. Fantastic even. But so readily available in any and every variation from dollar bin to audiophile. You can barely spit without hitting a copy. And, to me, the inclusion of the absolute most readily available title in his catalogue in a "premium" box set feels a bit like a "fuck you."

Across the Borderline was an absolutely incredible inclusion. But it and Country Willie are the only two selections that feel truly premium, but the price of the whole set is too much for just those two alone.

Last edited:
I think better choices could have been made, for sure - especially for the price point. I definitely think Teatro should have been included, but you're never going to make everybody happy and I can let that one go easily enough, but to not have included Phases and Stages is outright criminal and I think does a major disservice to telling Willie's story.

The inclusion of Yesterday's Wine was also disappointing - not because it isn't a great album, but because there is already a top notch audiophile version readily available.

The inclusion of Stardust, quite frankly, is a piss off. Particularly for the price point. Again, great album. Fantastic even. But so readily available in any and every variation from dollar bin to audiophile. You can barely spit without hitting a copy. And, to me, the inclusion of the absolute most readily available title in his catalogue in a "premium" box set feels a bit like a "fuck you."

Across the Borderline was an absolutely incredible inclusion. But it and Country Willie are the only two selections that feel truly premium, but the price of the whole set is too much for just those two alone.
I am really happy getting Country Willie but if a couple others had been swapped for Teatro and Phases and Stages, it would have been almost perfect for me.

I am really happy getting Country Willie but if a couple others had been swapped for Teatro and Phases and Stages, it would have been almost perfect for me.

If both Teatro and Phases and Stages were included along with Country Willie and Across The Borderline I wouldn't have hesitated for even half a second! Even if Stardust was still included.

If both Teatro and Phases and Stages were included along with Country Willie and Across The Borderline I wouldn't have hesitated for even half a second! Even if Stardust was still included.
I got the Anthology, but for sure would have been so much happier if Stardust had been replaced with Phases and Stages. Hope springs eternal that is on deck as a VMP Essentials pick.

It really is a fantastic set. I may have avoided buying it had I known that nearly every album in it would get broken out by Now-Again, but I do still listen to it a lot.
What are your fave records in it?

Listened to the podcast. Next 2 anthologies are

1) indie Latin label formed by an excile from the most famous Latin label of all time. Person who went on their owns records became crate digger classics

2) you'll need to buy some laughs to get this one.

No they said in the last episode that the supply chain delays have pushed it to 2023 because they want it to be done right.
Also means "we know GZ will mess this up and you will roast us alive.

Wonder if this might be the first big release from their new pressing plant?

Yeah, like the Herbie Anthology, I could definitely see quibbling with the 8 albums selected. Or already having 2 of them - especially whatever the Coltrane album is. I mean, I don't see how you tell the "Story of Impulse!" without A Love Supreme.

When I asked Storf in January he said it was definitely coming this year, and they wanted to make it perfect as they know it's going to be beloved. Grain of salt obviously, but I do think they know this is the anthology that will be the most nitpicked by Audiophiles, Hoffman Forums, N&Gers, etc.

I mean the blue note anthology didn’t have any a-list flagship titles so who knows , I’m kinda expecting something similar with 7 or 8 titles spanning from the early 60s to the present (Sons of Kemet)

Back