Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I am both sad that it's not a new Zamrock anthology and also happy I just saved a bunch of money... I should use that money to buy records...
Strawberry Rain has been reissuing some dope Zamrock titles on their own if you want to spend some coin…

A bunch have already sold out though

So what? If there is demand, why deny others the opportunity to enjoy the music without having to resort to flippers?
I'm on this tip, for sure. Hell they should press a million of them and then have to have a huge sale where they discount all the anthologies at buy-1-get-2-free.

But I understand the frustration where you think you're buying one thing -- and paying a premium for it -- and then later it's not so premium and you just got fleeced paying higher prices because they straight up lied about it.

So what? If there is demand, why deny others the opportunity to enjoy the music without having to resort to flippers?
Because some people treat collecting as an investment rather than just listening to the music, so when a company says something is "limited" those people view it as something that can possibly appreciate in value, only to find out that it's not so limited after all.

I'm not saying it's a good approach to vinyl collecting, but I can definitely see why saying something is "limited" when that's just not the case is pretty shitty for some.

Because part of the original sales pitch is that it's limited. I buy something out of /750 (which I think the zamrock box is) then I am expecting it to stay out of 750. I also expect that part of the price premium on it accounts for the fact that they can only sell it once. Mondo isn't re-releasing their Olly Moss star wars poster even though a full set sells for $10,000 because they were limited. Same with anything else that is advertised as such

Or put another way: when you purchase something and the company selling it says one thing, and then they pull the old switcheroo, then that's not a company worth continuously doing business with.

EDIT: I don't even know why this is a debate. It's scummy.

False scarcity is definitely bullshit.
But so is false advertising.

I'd rather they print the shit out of anything that has a demand, but I can also understand someone being frustrated when they are sold something "exclusive that suddenly isn't.

False scarcity is definitely bullshit.
But so is false advertising.

I'd rather they print the shit out of anything that has a demand, but I can also understand someone being frustrated when they are sold something "exclusive that suddenly isn't.
This.

Whomever wants the music should be able to get the music. I'm not for the limited bullshit. But if you ARE going to have a limited run then you owe it to your customers regardless if you think extra money can be made to not make your customers feel swindled.

It's like buying a car that supposed to have only have a handful ever made, then you drive down the street and see 4. You got duped.

this is why I don’t have any interest in buying flipper copies of the anthologies. VMP represses stuff or things eventually seem to get individual broken out releases
My annoyance about this (and the huge price markups) was why I eventually wound up just getting the herbie hancock discography on CD instead of doing the vmp anthology.

I'm not sure if they'd mentioned it in the past, but I know the Willie anthology is saying "First edition limited to 1,500 on exclusive 180g colored vinyl..." I'm ok with represses when they share this up front. If they haven't said they're repressing, the least they could do is pick some different colors.

I'm not sure if they'd mentioned it in the past, but I know the Willie anthology is saying "First edition limited to 1,500 on exclusive 180g colored vinyl..." I'm ok with represses when they share this up front. If they haven't said they're repressing, the least they could do is pick some different colors.
I wouldn't even do a colour variant for the subsequent runs.

First pressing: numbered, coloured and maybe even throw the numbering on a certificate of authenticity.
Anything else just no frills black boxed set.

Ideally you shouldn't be able to lump in your second run off the discogs listing of the first.

I wouldn't even do a colour variant for the subsequent runs.

First pressing: numbered, coloured and maybe even throw the numbering on a certificate of authenticity.
Anything else just no frills black boxed set.

Ideally you shouldn't be able to lump in your second run off the discogs listing of the first.
I like that idea a lot. It does make the first run seem more valuable to collectors, but those who are good with the black wax are able to get the box as well.

Because some people treat collecting as an investment rather than just listening to the music, so when a company says something is "limited" those people view it as something that can possibly appreciate in value, only to find out that it's not so limited after all.

I'm not saying it's a good approach to vinyl collecting, but I can definitely see why saying something is "limited" when that's just not the case is pretty shitty for some.
Here's a general rule.

EVERYTHING released on vinyl is a Limited Edition. There are no infinite, unlimited pressings. A pressing may stay around for years due to slow sales, but eventually, they run out. Numbering on a sleeve is meaningless. There for those with a fetish for such, maybe it validates their purchase.

MOST things that are Limited can have reprsses if demand is there. That is doing a total solid to every music lover who wants to get their hands on it. If it hurts 'vinyl investors' or flippers, fuck 'em. Too bad.

Music Matters has done it, probably the most egregious example. Acoustic Sounds does it all the time. MOFI repress their top titles. VMP does it rather less.

I don't look at my Discogs value and get all horny when I see it rising. That was never what collecting music is about.

I am THRILLED when a great title gets repressed for more people to enjoy at a fair price. That is good for everyone, as it keeps interest in the music/hobby high. And defeating the flippers and investors is good for me, and most people. It helps keep prices reasonable and discourages excessive price gouging on the secondary market.

Reactions: .Z.
Here's a general rule.

EVERYTHING released on vinyl is a Limited Edition. There are no infinite, unlimited pressings. A pressing may stay around for years due to slow sales, but eventually, they run out. Numbering on a sleeve is meaningless. There for those with a fetish for such, maybe it validates their purchase.

MOST things that are Limited can have reprsses if demand is there. That is doing a total solid to every music lover who wants to get their hands on it. If it hurts 'vinyl investors' or flippers, fuck 'em. Too bad.

Music Matters has done it, probably the most egregious example. Acoustic Sounds does it all the time. MOFI repress their top titles. VMP does it rather less.

I don't look at my Discogs value and get all horny when I see it rising. That was never what collecting music is about.

I am THRILLED when a great title gets repressed for more people to enjoy at a fair price. That is good for everyone, as it keeps interest in the music/hobby high. And defeating the flippers and investors is good for me, and most people. It helps keep prices reasonable and discourages excessive price gouging on the secondary market.
No. That is not a general rule. That is your own thoughts, and you're entitled to them, just as people who think they've purchased something that they thought was limited to a certain number are entitled to feel scammed when a lot more become available, regardless what company does it.

Back