Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I'm a Philly guy, born and raised. Living in NYC now but raising my kids to be Philly sports fans. Cheesesteaks. Liberty Bell. Art Museum. I'm down with all that civic pride. But man, I just could never get down with the Philly Soul sound. The production is too slick and polished for my taste.
Are you the Fresh Prince of NYC ?

Hey, so I’ve got a question! With The Story of Vanguard Anthology, does anyone know where the pressings were plated?

We know the six albums in there are all pressed at GZ, but I want to know where it was plated! I’m hoping VMP chose to have them plated at either RTI or QRP! This would be more reassuring as having folk records pressed at GZ is not ideal, but having them plated at a top quality pressing plant would be!

Still, I won’t be purchasing The Story of Vanguard Anthology yet. I will still wait to hear reviews/feedback from the buyers. If the feedback is very positive in terms of the sound quality and pressing quality, then I will purchase it! I’m definitely not risking it with these particular albums being pressed at GZ! But…it would be awesome to know where these were plated at!

Hey, so I’ve got a question! With The Story of Vanguard Anthology, does anyone know where the pressings were plated?

We know the six albums in there are all pressed at GZ, but I want to know where it was plated! I’m hoping VMP chose to have them plated at either RTI or QRP! This would be more reassuring as having folk records pressed at GZ is not ideal, but having them plated at a top quality pressing plant would be!

Still, I won’t be purchasing The Story of Vanguard Anthology yet. I will still wait to hear reviews/feedback from the buyers. If the feedback is very positive in terms of the sound quality and pressing quality, then I will purchase it! I’m definitely not risking it with these particular albums being pressed at GZ! But…it would be awesome to know where these were plated at!
If they were plated at RTI or QRP I’d guess they would be shouting that from the rooftops. They never miss a chance to say that lately. My guess is plated and pressed at GZ. The only title I really want from it is the Skip James since the others I like are pretty easily found or have a recent quality reissue that’s still affordable

If they were plated at RTI or QRP I’d guess they would be shouting that from the rooftops. They never miss a chance to say that lately. My guess is plated and pressed at GZ. The only title I really want from it is the Skip James since the others I like are pretty easily found or have a recent quality reissue that’s still affordable
Mmmm yeah, I think you’re right! VMP would clearly state if there were plated at QRP or RTI! They did that with the Herbie Hancock Anthology!

Dang, looks like this set is going to be a pass for me then! I have a feeling The Story of Vanguard Anthology is not selling well and won’t sell out, so who knows, maybe it’ll go on sale for a discounted price!

If the pressings are great, I still probably won’t purchase it, but if VMP have a store wide sale, like 20% off everything (including in-stock Anthologies), then I’ll buy it!

Last edited:
Do the anthologies usually stay in stock for a while? Wanna get the Philly Int’l but would rather buy closer to release

Do the anthologies usually stay in stock for a while? Wanna get the Philly Int’l but would rather buy closer to release

More than likely. Philly Sound is definitely a better value than most have been of late, so it may sell a bit quicker, but I don't imagine you need to Tina that shit right away.

You could also probably page @NathanRicaud but I dunno if his stock check trick works for anthologies as well.

I can’t explain how incredible it felt listening to Billy Paul’s “Me and Mrs. Jones”! Listening to Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes’ “Don’t Leave Me This Way” afterwards, filled me with joy! 😇

I just cannot wait for the The Story of Philadelphia Anthology!!! I’m so hyped! 🕺😍

Has anyone compared the new BN release of Maiden Voyage with the version that came in the Herbie box?

I will say that I compared the Herbie Box Maiden Voyage with my Music Matters SRX and it hold up pretty well. The SRX is better but not by a ton.

I have an OG Maiden Voyage and the Anthology does hold up well to that as well. The OG mono is better in my opinion, but its not a million miles off.

Although there were some issues with some of the copies that were sent out (including some that I had), once you got a complete set without any pops/warps it really is a fantastic set of really well-pressed records that sound superb.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 8.52.05 AM.png

So Revolver/BKvegan is now selling the Metal Blade Anthology piece by piece. This tells me three things.
1. This must have sold pretty bady to warrant them breaking the set and selling them individually.
2. Fun discogs arguments are ahead over whether these should have individual releases, and most importantly..
3. WTF THIS IS A HUGE MIDDLE FINGER TO ANTHOLOGY BUYERS.
I bought this set for 3 albums I really wanted (and another I've grown to love) and paid $300 plus shipping, and now they're selling them individually for $30 each. What the hell man

Last edited:
View attachment 114844

So Revolver/BKvegan is now selling the Metal Blade Anthology piece by piece. This tells me three things. 1. This must have sold pretty bady to warrant them breaking the set and selling them individually. 2. Fun discogs arguments are ahead over whether these should have individual releases, and most importantly 3. WTF THIS IS A HUGE MIDDLE FINGER TO ANTHOLOGY BUYERS. I bought this set for 3 albums I really wanted (and another I've grown to love) and paid $300 plus shipping, and now they're selling them individually for $30 each. What the hell man
Oh man. Yeah that makes me feel real bad. What a slap in the face.

Oh man. Yeah that makes me feel real bad. What a slap in the face.
I will be a optimist for just this one tiny moment and say that it's POSSIBLE these are simply the overrun from the boxes, the discs meant to be used for replacements, that are being sold individually. Doesn't necessarily make it a whole lot better but, it would be like... a little better... I think...

maybe...

I will be a optimist for just this one tiny moment and say that it's POSSIBLE these are simply the overrun from the boxes, the discs meant to be used for replacements, that are being sold individually. Doesn't necessarily make it a whole lot better but, it would be like... a little better... I think...

maybe...
Even if that were the case, I’d still feel like a fool for buying this. I should probably just avoid pricey box sets in general because I keep getting burned by them.

Back