Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Folk from vanguard could be a potentially interesting anthology.
But I said this a couple of times before about announced anthologies until the price tag killed my interest
So this, a good selection but 55$ per disc is definitely ust too much for me

40 bucks per LP. 49 if you are not a member

For Gz pressings, some liner notes, and the fact it was using the original mono tapes

At the 40 dollar price they could have gotten RTI and had the definitive versions

Also if they picked Gz for the color

RTI.. they have done many pressings with VMP with similar color schemes (the real definition of "audiophile" colored vinyl), and they are able to keep the prices fairly cheap for high end press.

I know QRP aren't great with colored vinyl because they don't want unique mixes but Pallas also could have worked and they are very consistent and have done songs for the deaf in the same scheme

Also now I wish that metal blade was done by Chris bellman and pressed at pallas

It feels kind of weird having these on color vinyl. I probably wouldn’t have bought it anyway but like others have said, black vinyl pressed at RTI or QRP would’ve been a better fit imo. Great music but it’s a pass.
when they do a color version I kinda assume a black vinyl version will eventually come too.

I need more Odetta, but I'm not going for this. Call me strange but I want a box set to be cheaper than buying the records individually. I don't want all of these albums. Having said that, that's why I keep missing out on Anthologies & regretting it.

Wasn't the Herbie set, $40 a record & pressed at GZ? Isn't that par fr the courses with these anthologies?

I need more Odetta, but I'm not going for this. Call me strange but I want a box set to be cheaper than buying the records individually. I don't want all of these albums. Having said that, that's why I keep missing out on Anthologies & regretting it.

Wasn't the Herbie set, $40 a record & pressed at GZ? Isn't that par fr the courses with these anthologies?
I don't think VMP has ever given a "discount" for a box set and it's been the criticism mostly pricing-wise. Wasn't this pretty much the same price as the Blue Note Anthology (Except there it was 6 albums but 7 LPs?). I honestly can't remember the price on that one.

I don't think VMP has ever given a "discount" for a box set and it's been the criticism mostly pricing-wise. Wasn't this pretty much the same price as the Blue Note Anthology (Except there it was 6 albums but 7 LPs?). I honestly can't remember the price on that one.
Yup, Blue Note was the same price, though it was $50 shipping/customs from Internationalists

Not surprised it was included in the Anthology, as it's the key album to the Vanguard Records story, but the Joan Baez s/t album was already reissued by Craft in 2018, remastered by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI. (Stereo, not Mono though.)

I really hope there is a standard black version of the Buffy Saint-Marie album down the road when VMP's window of exclusivity is over.

but the COLORS!

if this had been RTI and black vinyl I probably would have gotten it to be honest.
Same, there were like 10 seconds where I was ready to risk it all, then I saw the color vinyl and GZ. Immediately closed out of the window.

I don't get it, these Anthologies were great without the gimmicks and shortcuts. I love my Blue Note and Stax boxes.

Same, there were like 10 seconds where I was ready to risk it all, then I saw the color vinyl and GZ. Immediately closed out of the window.

I don't get it, these Anthologies were great without the gimmicks and shortcuts. I love my Blue Note and Stax boxes.

Colored vinyl for some music is fun but for quiet historical acoustic folk, jazz, and blues a high quality black vinyl pressed to limit surface noise would seem to be a much better fit.

Colored vinyl for some music is fun but for quiet historical acoustic folk, jazz, and blues a high quality black vinyl pressed to limit surface noise would seem to be a much better fit.
I was being sarcastic about the colors, but wouldn't be shocked if the colored vinyl is part of the "exclusivity" and is part of why they were allowed to do these box sets. Or mono vs stereo. Craft does a similar thing for RSD day--they will release something like Quiet Kenny or Chet Baker in mono as an exclusive and then release a wide release of the stereo version later.

Back