Vinyl Me Please Anthology

There are absolutely simple QC controls that could've caught this. Spot check every 50 records (or something) for a start. If half the labels are wrong, they would've caught one, which means they would've caught more. Honestly the whole "idk what they could've done" just lets them off the hook. If it was ONE thing that slipped through, fine, okay. But it's not, it's literally every record. They weren't prepared for this. I get you want to be fair, and I appreciate that. I just don't think they deserve it at this point.
It is still the plant's responsibility to do that, would you want an opened record sent to you when the others are sealed? VMP needs to keep the plant responsible for the issue that is the only real option here. The other option was for VMP to open each one and we don't actually know the number of affected ones as people with problems are more likely to complain/comment than people without an issue. I am not saying this isn't an issue. As I said this is common enough for discogs to not view this as a unique problem.

Uh, I just received set 2 again this morning. With the exact same tracking number as the one that was delivered on Monday. So I now possess 2 sets of Lou Donaldson and Wayne Shorter. Jeez. Email sent to VMP about it. I hope someone else isn't missing their set because of this.

Last edited:
To be fair, these are printed in much less quantity than any of the VMP tracks and are mastered AAA by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI. The going rate for something like that for a single LP is $35, based off of Analogue Productions and the most recent Blue Note Tone Poet series. And I know they are doing some AAA pressings for Classics but I can almost guarantee that will not be forever at the sub price point. Plus one of the albums is a double LP so that should get factored in. I personally don’t think $230 or whatever was gouging but the QA/QC so far is completely unacceptable.

Do you think these are on pair with AP, Tone Poets, or MM? Do you think they're even on par with the extremely nice BN80 series? BN80 series retail for like $25 bucks a piece and they're really, really nice. I'm not 100% sure BN80 is AAA though to be fair.

edit: dove into hoffman and yes BN80 is AAA.

To be fair, these are printed in much less quantity than any of the VMP tracks and are mastered AAA by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI. The going rate for something like that for a single LP is $35, based off of Analogue Productions and the most recent Blue Note Tone Poet series. And I know they are doing some AAA pressings for Classics but I can almost guarantee that will not be forever at the sub price point. Plus one of the albums is a double LP so that should get factored in. I personally don’t think $230 or whatever was gouging but the QA/QC so far is completely unacceptable.
There are VMP record of the month releases that are mastered by good mastering engineers and AAA.

Uh, I just received set 2 again this morning. With the exact same tracking number as the one that was delivered on Monday. So I now possess 2 sets of Lou Donaldson and Wayne Shorter. Jeez. Email sent to VMP about it. I hope someone else isn't missing their set because of this.
well you can check the labels on Shorter to see if one is correct
Do you think these are on pair with AP, Tone Poets, or MM? Do you think they're even on par with the extremely nice BN80 series? BN80 series retail for like $25 bucks a piece and they're really, really nice. I'm not 100% sure BN80 is AAA though to be fair.

I think the price is higher due to the limited number and exclusivity which is normal (whether or not it should be is something for debate). But the other issues make the price too high.

well you can check the labels on Shorter to see if one is correct

I think the price is higher due to the limited number and exclusivity which is normal (whether or not it should be is something for debate). But the other issues make the price too high.
I don't want to open them in case VMP will send me a label to return them. There's no way these are replacements. When they do replacements, they generate a separate email and tracking number. This is a straight up label duplication error when they were mailing these out. Same exact tracking as before.

I 100% think the music and quality of the pressing is on par with MM and AP but obviously the QA/QC is not as good as those two. BN80 sounds amazing too but they can charge the lower price because it is pressed at Optimal, which isn’t as stringent in the QC area, the covers are just cheap stock, cheap inner sleeves, and the pressing is not limited in quantity.

But yeah the Anthology would be a reasonable price had the QA/QC been there. Definitely not worth the price now with all the packaging fuck ups.

we don't actually know the number of affected ones as people with problems are more likely to complain/comment than people without an issue.
True, but...

My side one is actually side two and side two is side one
My buddy just caught this too. (Although given the Pittsburgh location, I think that's you.) Yeah, mine is mislabeled as well.
Mine is also mislabeled.
my labels are also switched.
Mine's backwards as well.
my copy of Schizophrenia also is mislabeled.
I got a mislabeled copy
Does your label side 2 have the runout with the "A" crossed out and a "B" etched after?
+1 for mislabeled...
Yep! I was recording it last night and walked away and noticed Kryptonite was playing when it should have been Tom Thumb.

...that’s 11 right there. So, >1% right off the bat. What’s an acceptable rate?

Some of the Tone poets are gatefold, which are really nice. Rivers - Contours and Shorter - Etc are the ones I have.

I also have Evans - New bottle that is tip-on like the anthologies, but it has it's own set of issues. The record label track list has 'Round Midnight while on the jacket, it is listed as 'Round About Midnight. It is supposed to be 'Round Midnight. It is also unclear to whether it is mono or stereo or whatever "Strobophonic" means.

All the Tone Poets I have are from amazon that charged about $27 USD each.

So if we're comparing the anthology to Tone poets, I would say "yes" it is similar to the Evans release, but not similar to the others. Definitely more expensive. BUT, it is really a bargain compared to the discogs flipper price of $1000 USD!! (sarcasm)

I 100% think the music and quality of the pressing is on par with MM and AP but obviously the QA/QC is not as good as those two. BN80 sounds amazing too but they can charge the lower price because it is pressed at Optimal, which isn’t as stringent in the QC area, the covers are just cheap stock, cheap inner sleeves, and the pressing is not limited in quantity.

But yeah the Anthology would be a reasonable price had the QA/QC been there. Definitely not worth the price now with all the packaging fuck ups.
Jackets aren't near MM though or even AP.

Important update about your Wayne Shorter album

We've identified that the center labels and etchings on some copies of Wayne Shorter's 'Schizophrenia' were incorrect (the labels/etchings were reversed). This happened in the mastering process and was caught by our quality control team prior to the record going to press. We asked that this be corrected, and the change was confirmed but unfortunately was only applied to a portion of the run. We are working with our partners and will be sending everyone a new copy to make up for this issue free of charge, regardless of whether your copy was affected. We're working on getting a definitive timeline for the repress and will share updates as we have them for this, as well as the Dexter Gordon jacket replacements.

We apologize any inconvenience caused by this issue.
❤️Team VMP

Wow. I'm actually surprised by this one.

While VMP didn't say how many people got screwed up copies, I'd imagine that this in combination with the Dexte reprint might lead to them going in the hole on the anthology.
Sounds like this is grounds for a chargeback to the pressing plant, to me; if VMP was eating the cost they wouldn’t be sending everybody a copy.

Back