Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Unfortunately they don’t have in-house quality control. They rely on the qc of the manufacturer. And records are shipped directly to their fulfillment warehouse where packers are not responsible for what records look like in sealed jackets. But I agree they are ultimately responsible and that emails to CS are absolutely warranted.
But I forgot that anthology is shipped from CO. I wonder who did the shipping and if they even bothered with checking the records.

Edit: but if it was one small affected batch they would likely end up sealed in the same box or boxes and the odds of checking one box and finding the affected ones would be less than 50% or so. Hmmm. What reissue label does in-house qc, I wonder. Other than checking jackets, I can’t imagine any company unsealing records for qc.

Unfortunately they don’t have in-house quality control. They rely on the qc of the manufacturer. And records are shipped directly to their fulfillment warehouse where packers are not responsible for what records look like in sealed jackets. But I agree they are ultimately responsible and that emails to CS are absolutely warranted.
Interesting. I wonder how common that is for labels.

Interesting. I wonder how common that is for labels.
No clue. But if you go to a pressing plant’s website, they typically have info on their processes including quality control, letting customers know what percentage of the product is checked. Usually that’s good enough but mislabeling still happens.

But I forgot that anthology is shipped from CO. I wonder who did the shipping and if they even bothered with checking the records.

Edit: but if it was one small affected batch they would likely end up sealed in the same box or boxes and the odds of checking one box and finding the affected ones would be less than 50% or so. Hmmm. What reissue label does in-house qc, I wonder. Other than checking jackets, I can’t imagine any company unsealing records for qc.
I don't know why they wouldn't unseal a few if they have, or make, the opportunity. I think per LP it costs them <$10 which should be an incredibly tiny percentage of profits. 🤷‍♂️

No clue. But if you go to a pressing plant’s website, they typically have info on their processes including quality control, letting customers know what percentage of the product is checked. Usually that’s good enough but mislabeling still happens.

It happens and warrants a separate discogs entry. ^^ I hope that this affected only a small number of records.

1.4.4. Manufacturing variations should not be counted as a unique release.
For example:
  • Different stampers / matrix numbers for the same edition
  • Manufacturing tolerance based variations in the shades of label paper or ink color
  • Mislabelings such as: (correct) labels misapplied to incorrect sides, two of the same labels, or missing labels
  • Unintended vinyl coloration caused by variation in vinyl stock, etc.

How about records where there is either no side labeling or weird ambiguous labeling like R.E.M. Chronic Town. Sides are labeled "Chronic Town" and "Poster Torn." Back of the LP says 1,000,000, Stumble, Wolves Lower, Gardening at Night, Carnival of Sorts (Box Cars) [in that order]. The side starting with Wolves, Lower has SP.070502-A-GDI STERLING in the deadwax and the side starting with 1,000,000 label has SP.070502-B-GDI STERLING. WHAT SIDE IS FIRST R.E.M.???

I can't think of which now but some LPs i have don't have anything on the labels so I have to check the deadwax for side A.

Sorry, off topic for my deadwax nerds if any are out there.

Edit: The first discogs listing for Chronic Town also claims that the labels are reverse with A and B from the deadwax, but that isn't true on my copy. Not sure what's up with that.

Again this is something that just happens nice plant or not, I am sure VMP will contact them but this is not a fixable problem and not on VMP at all, I get they severely screwed up other things but this isn't something even if VMP sub-contracted the plant that can be blamed on them. This happens quite a bit this is one (maybe only ) thing you can't blame VMP for and won't be fixed even for a high-end boxset. This is a fact of life for vinyl
How does this being a common problem mean that the buck doesn’t stop with the company that has their name on the product? Mistakes don’t “just happen,” they occur as a result of poor process execution. A company that makes accuracy a priority will go to great lengths to ensure that processes are followed correctly. A company that doesn’t make accuracy a priority will shrug and agree with you that it’s not their fault.

1.4.4. Manufacturing variations should not be counted as a unique release.
For example:
  • Different stampers / matrix numbers for the same edition
  • Manufacturing tolerance based variations in the shades of label paper or ink color
  • Mislabelings such as: (correct) labels misapplied to incorrect sides, two of the same labels, or missing labels
  • Unintended vinyl coloration caused by variation in vinyl stock, etc.

Live and learn. Thanks. :)

How does this being a common problem mean that the buck doesn’t stop with the company that has their name on the product? Mistakes don’t “just happen,” they occur as a result of poor process execution. A company that makes accuracy a priority will go to great lengths to ensure that processes are followed correctly. A company that doesn’t make accuracy a priority will shrug and agree with you that it’s not their fault.
so they should fire one of the better pressing plants available? Without RTI or VMP checking every single one, this is not a catchable thing and is squarely on the pressing plant and is never corrected in the industry that I am aware of.

It doesn't, not unique to discogs

Good. The way we have the discogs set up with the box set, it is a beast to add all that stuff from scratch.

Speaking of discogs, the notes section needs updating, too.

Back