Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Good. The way we have the discogs set up with the box set, it is a beast to add all that stuff from scratch.

Speaking of discogs, the notes section needs updating, too.
Honestly, I haven't kept up with the discogs listing as there should be several people that know how to add and probably higher-end users than I am. So I haven't even looked at the notes

Right - so the sleeve on the Donaldson is wrong too? Ugh
this one is troubling (unlike the backward labels) I could see this being on Blue Note for sending the wrong back image but someone at VMP should have caught this too

so they should fire one of the better pressing plants available? Without RTI or VMP checking every single one, this is not a catchable thing and is squarely on the pressing plant and is never corrected in the industry that I am aware of.
I think you’re conflating preventive action with corrective action, and both of those with accountability.

VMP’s product = VMP’s responsibility.

This can be prevented. Once it’s done, it can’t/won’t be fixed, which makes preventive measures more important. Processes exist to mitigate these events. Mistakes at this scale don’t just emerge due to inexorable forces of entropy. Somebody goofed. So what you do in theory is audit your vendors, build in contractual clauses tied to dollars, demand robust processes, set high expectations for quality, refuse to accept excuses, and refuse to say “it’s just a fact of life.” History is full of demanding bosses who refuse to compromise on quality standards. “It happens a lot so we ignore it” isn’t the legacy those people are remembered for.

I think you’re conflating preventive action with corrective action, and both of those with accountability.

VMP’s product = VMP’s responsibility.

This can be prevented. Once it’s done, it can’t/won’t be fixed, which makes preventive measures more important. Processes exist to mitigate these events. Mistakes at this scale don’t just emerge due to inexorable forces of entropy. Somebody goofed. So what you do in theory is audit your vendors, build in contractual clauses tied to dollars, demand robust processes, set high expectations for quality, refuse to accept excuses, and refuse to say “it’s just a fact of life.” History is full of demanding bosses who refuse to compromise on quality standards. “It happens a lot so we ignore it” isn’t the legacy those people are remembered for.
The plant RTI has QC standards, VMP could add/ask for more but this issue is still going to happen from time to time and without every record checked prior to leaving the plant is not catchable nor would probably be fixed as the only solution would be to trash the incorrect ones and press more. We have no idea what VMP can or will get in compensation and the expectation of them sharing that is likely zero (I would guess due to contracts). So the only thing we can hear is sorry. So I am not sure what more can be done unless RTI is going to QC every album.

without every record checked prior to leaving the plant is not catchable nor would probably be fixed as the only solution would be to trash the incorrect ones and press more.
You keep repeating this as if the fact that it can’t be corrected means no one is responsible. No one has said VMP should repress, just that VMP has ultimate responsibility for the quality of the product.

To say there is no way to catch this happening is also deflecting the point that the processes should mitigate the potential that it occurs. If it keeps occurring, that doesn’t indicate that it’s impossible to prevent, but that the existing processes are inadequate.

I think you seem to believe that some of us are arguing that VMP owning responsibility is the same as acknowledging that VMP must take action to compensate for it after the fact, and I don’t think people are making that argument. It’s just curious to me that there is such enthusiasm to absolve them of any ownership of defects in the manufacture of the product they commissioned.

You keep repeating this as if the fact that it can’t be corrected means no one is responsible. No one has said VMP should repress, just that VMP has ultimate responsibility for the quality of the product.

To say there is no way to catch this happening is also deflecting the point that the processes should mitigate the potential that it occurs. If it keeps occurring, that doesn’t indicate that it’s impossible to prevent, but that the existing processes are inadequate.

I think you seem to believe that some of us are arguing that VMP owning responsibility is the same as acknowledging that VMP must take action to compensate for it after the fact, and I don’t think people are making that argument. It’s just curious to me that there is such enthusiasm to absolve them of any ownership of defects in the manufacture of the product they commissioned.
I am not absolving them, they should apologize for the mistake, but I am just not sure how they are to fix/prevent a problem that stretches outside of their pressings and across multiple plants?

I am not absolving them, they should apologize for the mistake, but I am just not sure how they are to fix/prevent a problem that stretches outside of their pressings and across multiple plants?
Well it’s obviously not something VMP can fix alone or overnight. Like most quality issues, it would take concerted and sustained industry pressure, but VMP should be building a reputation for uncompromising quality, IMO, not “well, this is the least of our worries because it’s the one thing we trusted the plant to do correctly.” I don’t even think the apology is important. It’s more about acknowledging that no mistakes are too small to be unacceptable, and committing to finding ways to deliver quality on a more consistent basis.

Well it’s obviously not something VMP can fix alone or overnight. Like most quality issues, it would take concerted and sustained industry pressure, but VMP should be building a reputation for uncompromising quality, IMO, not “well, this is the least of our worries because it’s the one thing we trusted the plant to do correctly.” I don’t even think the apology is important. It’s more about acknowledging that no mistakes are too small to be unacceptable, and committing to finding ways to deliver quality on a more consistent basis.
that assumes they are allowed to say something in response to a certain issue (plus they have made statements like that in the past, if they follow through on that is an open question)

that assumes they are allowed to say something in response to a certain issue (plus they have made statements like that in the past, if they follow through on that is an open question)
They should likewise be experiencing concerted and sustained pressure from their members to deliver products on time and free of defects.

Is anyone else’s copy of Schizophrenia mislabeled? My side one is actually side two and side two is side one (first song on side one should be Kryptonite. It’s not, it’s Tom Thumb; vise versa on side two)
The thing is, if this was the only error, it's be way more understandable. Out of four records, they've screwed up two.
Three actually. Horace Silver is labeled as Stereo when it is in fact mono. The shitty CD cover scan for Dexter Calling and now mislabeled sides for Wayne Shorter. Not to mention small things like the originally advertised foiled stamped boxes that magically became hand-numbered day the last minute, blah blah blah... It’s f*ing frustrating.
It's actually all four, as The Natural Soul reproduces the mono issue with the "High Fidelity" on the back top left instead of "Stereo."
Based on listening to the relevant A1/B1 tracks on youtube, my copy of Schizophrenia also is mislabeled. It also arrived with this scratch: 4932
I did a quick spin of the scratched area and fortunately it isn't audible. The other white spots are just dust, due to letting the record sit on my desk for a short bit. No warps on either of the records fwiw.

The incorrect labels are a major, major problem IMO. If nobody had said anything, a jazz noob like me would not have known. Not good.

Four mistakes on four records is a pretty major accomplishment, even for Vinyl Me, Please. I've got to accept responsibility for this though; I paid for this box set knowing VMP's background. None of this is surprising. None of it.

I don't think there is any way for VMP to have known about this unless you want them to open every single one and check runouts versus labels again this is on the plant which is a high end one and somewhat common.
I just listened to mine and realized I got a mislabeled copy as well. What's curious to me is that the runouts are mislabeled, too. I had read this thread before putting mine on, so I checked the runout on mine in addition to the label, to see that they matched and make sure I wasn't gonna have to flip it immediately and sure enough, the label is for side A, the runout is A, but it is side B. Very interesting. I am fully prepared to not care much about this issue as I've seen even well-established and renowned audiophile labels make mistakes of this kind, but I'm really curious about the whether it is usually the case that the runout is also mislabeled and how that would happen.

I saw some video or IG post or something of VMP employees packing up these anthology boxes themselves. So, these are being shipped by VMP. Which means they had the product in hand before they started shipping. They could have opened a few for QC purposes. (STOP LAUGHING AT ME!!!)

Also, I would have had no idea that the sides are mislabeled. Jazz is hard, for me at least, to determine song names. So I would've gone happily along my way with my $230 mislabeled albums and never have known.

Back