Vinyl Me Please Anthology

the one truly bad thing that can come from calling with VMP is the idea that they might just spout the anti-life equation into you and make you their slaves

i made one comic reference in here this is probably the only one i'll ever do

I didn’t sign up for the Anthology but if i had, I would have been most excited for the Lou Donaldson record. My favorite parts of that record though are the organ and guitar, played by John Patton and Grant Green, respectively. It looks like the “alternate” choice for that soul jazz era was a John Patton record that also features Grant Green, and I may have just ordered a copy of it.

Anyone have recommendations for other albums featuring these two?

I didn’t sign up for the Anthology but if i had, I would have been most excited for the Lou Donaldson record. My favorite parts of that record though are the organ and guitar, played by John Patton and Grant Green, respectively. It looks like the “alternate” choice for that soul jazz era was a John Patton record that also features Grant Green, and I may have just ordered a copy of it.

Anyone have recommendations for other albums featuring these two?
Honestly any John Patton album is worth it on BN if it has Grant Green on it. Check out Let ‘em Roll. Almost any Grant Green album from the 60’s is worth it too, especially his undisputed classics Idle Moments and Matador.

Honestly any John Patton album is worth it on BN if it has Grant Green on it. Check out Let ‘em Roll. Almost any Grant Green album from the 60’s is worth it too, especially his undisputed classics Idle Moments and Matador.

My favorite Feelin’ The Spirit never gets a mention. It’s a classic though.

This was also after 100+ pages of the thread which had also descended into a lot of anger of a) the cost of Anthology, b) whether Anthology was a sign of new, more 'premium product' VMP, c) annoyance of the way Anthology announcement was rolled out and d) research into the new COO of VMP and whether he was good for the company.

It was already a pretty hostile thread before VJ walked in and blew things up further.

It was also a very funny thread in parts. Some great laughs and also ‘that Saturday’ for myself @Skalap and @Joe Mac

Just been catching up on this thread today. The price was too much for me so I never bought it. Would have liked to have heard those records though but I’ve spent enough this day/week/month/year.

I spent $230 on 6 records I could've streamed for free. I'm pretty sure that makes me an elitist asshole.

And the big record company knows that too. Why do you think they charge us so much (and get away with it)?

You mean I can listen to music for free?????

Oh my god, my wife’s gonna kill me

My Anthology arrived yesterday in pristine condition. Still disappointed with the oversights on both records. I reached out to them via email and will likely do the same to Blue Note.

Is this what we should expect from Millennial-run businesses?
I've noticed that now a days that's the biggest problem, attention to detail, which is unfortunate. Details are what separates the "Really Good" from "Industry MUST HAVE".........it's always about the little things.

Oh god millennial bashing, my eyes are rolling so hard I think I pulled a muscle in my legs.

They took down that post with the email about the anthology on the Facebook page. I typed up a long and magnificent response and now I'm not sure I have the right address. I need them to hear my fury!!!

I've noticed that now a days that's the biggest problem, attention to detail, which is unfortunate. Details are what separates the "Really Good" from "Industry MUST HAVE".........it's always about the little things.

Totally agree with this.... if you're pricing competitively with the Tone Poets series you should probably package competitively as well. If not, at least have a bunch of cool and worthwhile "experience" or bonus stuff. So far this has just been an overpriced box set (that does sound good tbf) with a very disappointing experience tacked on as an afterthought.

Got the set. It was well packed and arrived safely. The box is nice. Housed in the box is a slip out that contains the records. They put a piece of styrofoam in the the slip out to prevent the records from moving around. That was a nice touch.

In terms of sonics, they sound superb. The stereo/mono labeling kerfuffle with the Horace Silver record is lame, but it's not the end of the world. I just wished they paid better attention to detail. This stuff matters. Especially when I'm spending $230.

The Dexter Gordon jacket though is inexcusable. I just can't overlook that. I'll email VMP about it and strongly urge them to redo the jackets and send it when the next LPs are shipped. I think everyone who bought the set should do this. Collectively we have a voice. I'm not trying to add to the pile on. I genuinely want to see this box set and VMP succeed.

D7Nwz1lW0AEpAhO.jpg

D7Nwz1nXoAE99_6.jpg
This. You have captured 2 of the issues perfectly, the other being the lack of foil stamp numbering as advertised. I emailed them yesterday.

This. You have captured 2 of the issues perfectly, the other being the lack of foil stamp numbering as advertised. I emailed them yesterday.

I actually went back to the site and they do specifically mention the foil stamping issue.

From the FAQs toward the bottom:
Originally we’d planned on foil stamping each album with our typical logo stamp. However, during the production process we realized the stamp would interfere with the album art in some cases, so we opted against it. The boxes themselves use a spot UV effect rather than a metallic stamp, which VMP and Blue Note preferred aesthetically. All boxes are also hand numbered.

So that gets a pass from me. Yeah, it's buried in a dead page at the bottom under a drop down click but at least it's there I guess.

I actually went back to the site and they do specifically mention the foil stamping issue.

So that gets a pass from me. Yeah, it's buried in a dead page at the bottom under a drop down click but at least it's there I guess.

It just seems stupid to bury this issue on some lost page. Another case of poor communication causing more problems than there would have been if they would have been if they just said something up front. I think most people would have just shrugged.

I wonder why that would have been a concern for these jackets but not for other VMP x Blue Note releases.

Back