Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Got the set. It was well packed and arrived safely. The box is nice. Housed in the box is a slip out that contains the records. They put a piece of styrofoam in the the slip out to prevent the records from moving around. That was a nice touch.

In terms of sonics, they sound superb. The stereo/mono labeling kerfuffle with the Horace Silver record is lame, but it's not the end of the world. I just wished they paid better attention to detail. This stuff matters. Especially when I'm spending $230.

The Dexter Gordon jacket though is inexcusable. I just can't overlook that. I'll email VMP about it and strongly urge them to redo the jackets and send it when the next LPs are shipped. I think everyone who bought the set should do this. Collectively we have a voice. I'm not trying to add to the pile on. I genuinely want to see this box set and VMP succeed.

D7Nwz1lW0AEpAhO.jpg

D7Nwz1nXoAE99_6.jpg

View attachment 1954

If I click through it’s hidden on the actual site, so who knows if it’s current/accurate. But...*shrug*

Edit: would match the theory @Mr Moore had, too, so maybe it’s real.
There's this too if anyone wants to go this route: https://store.bluenote.com/pages/contact-us

I'm not sure it's necessary. Are we under the impression they aren't aware how this big release they are apart of is going? There is at least one Blue Note rep on the FB group (Cem) and I've seen Blue Note Records 'like' at least one post. They've got to be tracking how this is going. Right?

Got the set. It was well packed and arrived safely. The box is nice. Housed in the box is a slip out that contains the records. They put a piece of styrofoam in the the slip out to prevent the records from moving around. That was a nice touch.

In terms of sonics, they sound superb. The stereo/mono labeling kerfuffle with the Horace Silver record is lame, but it's not the end of the world. I just wished they paid better attention to detail. This stuff matters. Especially when I'm spending $230.

The Dexter Gordon jacket though is inexcusable. I just can't overlook that. I'll email VMP about it and strongly urge them to redo the jackets and send it when the next LPs are shipped. I think everyone who bought the set should do this. Collectively we have a voice. I'm not trying to add to the pile on. I genuinely want to see this box set and VMP succeed.

D7Nwz1lW0AEpAhO.jpg

D7Nwz1nXoAE99_6.jpg
Could you snap a pic of the back of the Dexter jacket? I still don't think I've seen it.

There's this too if anyone wants to go this route: https://store.bluenote.com/pages/contact-us

I'm not sure it's necessary. Are we under the impression they aren't aware how this big release they are apart of is going? There is at least one Blue Note rep on the FB group (Cem) and I've seen Blue Note Records 'like' at least one post. They've got to be tracking how this is going. Right?
Yeah I totally think emailing Don Was is a waste of time, but I was kind of surprised that googling “don was email address” popped right away like that.

BRB, gotta go see if I can find a way to pitch Scott Bakula this Quantum Leap continuation/reboot a buddy and I have been talking about since we were in college...

D7Nwz1lW0AEpAhO.jpg

D7Nwz1nXoAE99_6.jpg
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the color of that Horace not pretty far off as well? Should it not be something like:
R-7694307-1446895875-7003.jpeg.jpg

I was just reading the Hoffman thread on this and someone made an offhand comment that hadn't really occurred to me:

AP would get eaten alive by this forum if they released this today.

I don't know if it's actually that it hadn't occurred to me so much as it made me have this thought: I wonder if VMP are aware that they are really being treated with kid gloves about this? I mean, that comment is so on point. If AP or MM had done something like this, they would be torn apart mercilessly. And that's just for releasing the album with the CD artwork. If their response to it had been similar to what has happened? It would be an onslaught.

Ok. Here is the back cover.

7xHrart.jpg

Here is the back cover compared to the AP 45rpm reissue on the left.

uDUcXSI.jpg

And here is are the front covers. The AP 45rpm is on the left. The VMP Anthology is on the right. Compare the image of Dexter in the phone booth from the AP version to the VMP version. The faded colors aside, it's clear that the art they used is compressed. The aspect ratio is off and the phone booth looks squished for lack of a better term.

5F3o9pU.jpg

Ok. Here is the back cover.

7xHrart.jpg

Here is the back cover compared to the AP 45rpm reissue on the left.

uDUcXSI.jpg

And here is are the front covers. The AP 45rpm is on the left. The VMP Anthology is on the right. Compare the image of Dexter in the phone booth from the AP version to the VMP version. The faded colors aside, it's clear that the art they used is compressed. The aspect ratio is off and the phone booth looks squished for lack of a better term.

5F3o9pU.jpg
Man, that's rough. Especially that bar code, which didn't exist back then. Can't believe they didn't even attempt to scrub that from the back.

i still feel the "shutting down the forum because they knew a big drama was gonna happen" thing seems a bit like a conspiracy theory

i do feel like it was possibly shutdown for PR reasons

but not because of that alone.

Last edited:
Back