Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Finally starting to listen to the Ghostly anthology. Wish these had come with download codes. If anyone wants to save me some time from raising the jolly roger feel free to pm me.

So how do you guys feel about this anthology? I've gone through every anthology so far and I have to say, this one feels the most... pathetic.

The package is fine. I don't know, I think they went cheap on the sleeves and the records themselves are flimsy standard weight and I don't love the colors... but the music is pretty awesome. I love a few records in here.

Overall though, they axed the community, and the QR code has been a little weak... so the "experience" is basically a podcast. Like, episode 2's QR code content is literally 3 videos they took from YouTube--put there by other content creators. I wonder if those creators know VMP is kind of using their shit to sell their own product experience? At least with Motown they hired someone to do a little write up for each of the artists featured, which was kind of cool.

Really feels like VMP took an awesome idea and turned it into this watered-down bullshit.

Consider me fully disillusioned. I won't be buying every anthology like I planned, not with how fast they say they're going to release them-- no way they're going to be able to put out a good product as fast as they say they're going to. I will still buy the anthologies that really appeal to me, probably the classic-themed ones. Any more jazz anthos, or more soul/r&b, that sort of stuff, I'm in for that. I might even bite on an interesting blues or folk concept. But no more taking risks. Too bad, the first two really were fantastic.

Yeah I am a bit mixed, I think the Package was the best thing about the 'experience' the lack of any communication, no community, and a website with a couple podcasts and youtube videos was underwhelming.

I skipped the first two because they didn't appeal to me and was hoping this one would show me I was wrong in doing so, however it only made me more confident that I made the right choice.

I love Ghostly, and wish they would've just done it themselves, I don't think I will be taking part in these anymore unless it's Arts&Crafts, then I will dive head first, and maybe a couple others, but it will really need to be a label I support like Ghostly.

So in the end, the sound quality and overall vinyl was nice, but the whole VMP experience was crap, the price should've been $125 with the amount of effort they put into this.

My issue is more the price but I'm not super disappointed. I've liked the first two podcast episodes. Ghostly was a label I never really noticed and the box set has helped with that. I haven't gotten to the 2nd and 3rd episodes yet, a mixture of being busy and the holidays approaching. I just received an email about the 3rd episode being unboxed on Friday. I never received anything for the 2nd episode.

My issue is more the price but I'm not super disappointed. I've liked the first two podcast episodes. Ghostly was a label I never really noticed and the box set has helped with that. I haven't gotten to the 2nd and 3rd episodes yet, a mixture of being busy and the holidays approaching. I just received an email about the 3rd episode being unboxed on Friday. I never received anything for the 2nd episode.

Yeah same experience as you. Wish it was a bit cheaper but wasnt that familiar with Ghostly and I've really enjoyed the first episode and hoping to dive into the next two records and episode 2 this weekend. Never received an email for those either.

End of the day, the experience is enjoyable but Im only going to listen to the podcasts once. The box is whats staying in my collection so if I'm happy with that, thats all that matters for me.

I just got the band brown album 50th anniversary supper deluxe. This is what a box set should be. Ignoring the cd’s and blu-ray, the album itself was fantastic and the booklet and photos were top notch. Compare the booklet to the crap that we got from the blue note anthology and you realize how badly it was lacking. Now, I loved the blue note anthology for the quality of the records, but I’m realizing more and more that the extras are garbage.

So how do you guys feel about this anthology? I've gone through every anthology so far and I have to say, this one feels the most... pathetic.

The package is fine. I don't know, I think they went cheap on the sleeves and the records themselves are flimsy standard weight and I don't love the colors... but the music is pretty awesome. I love a few records in here.

Overall though, they axed the community, and the QR code has been a little weak... so the "experience" is basically a podcast. Like, episode 2's QR code content is literally 3 videos they took from YouTube--put there by other content creators. I wonder if those creators know VMP is kind of using their shit to sell their own product experience? At least with Motown they hired someone to do a little write up for each of the artists featured, which was kind of cool.

Really feels like VMP took an awesome idea and turned it into this watered-down bullshit.

Consider me fully disillusioned. I won't be buying every anthology like I planned, not with how fast they say they're going to release them-- no way they're going to be able to put out a good product as fast as they say they're going to. I will still buy the anthologies that really appeal to me, probably the classic-themed ones. Any more jazz anthos, or more soul/r&b, that sort of stuff, I'm in for that. I might even bite on an interesting blues or folk concept. But no more taking risks. Too bad, the first two really were fantastic.
Mmmmmmm I didn’t get the Ghostly Anthology but I’m the same like you Botherly! I’ll probably only purchase the R&B/Soul, Funk/Disco, Jazz types of VMP Anthologies. Pretty much the Anthologies that would have records as a Classics ROTM (Like the Blue Note & Motown Anthologies). So, I’m definitely 100% in for the Stax Anthology (if it does happen). But I wouldn’t be in for a SubPop VMP Anthology if it were to happen.

I just got the band brown album 50th anniversary supper deluxe. This is what a box set should be. Ignoring the cd’s and blu-ray, the album itself was fantastic and the booklet and photos were top notch. Compare the booklet to the crap that we got from the blue note anthology and you realize how badly it was lacking. Now, I loved the blue note anthology for the quality of the records, but I’m realizing more and more that the extras are garbage.

Compared to any other decent box and the liner notes / booklets are trash.

Email had a $30 discount code since I've been a previous Anthology member. 8 LPs. I'd guess this will be $299. So $269 with that discount. I mean, I love Stax so I'm in.

Back