Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Apologies because I'm sure this has been discussed at length somewhere in this thread, but what is the verdict on the Motown box? Worth it or nah?

Okay so.... I could be nuts. I mean... I likely am either way... But I swear to god I just logged into VMP and the screen glitched as I selected a menu option and I saw a split second of a header that said "The Story Of Chess Records".

Now, I might have been seeing things because the current header is "The Story Of Ghostly" so it might have just been a mix of that but I freaking swear it said Chess Records.

So... yes. That could be upcoming and it would make sense.
Or I just made it all up in my head.

That's all I got.
Please carry on.

Interesting, I believe it. It's not like VMPs web team has never put things up by mistake before.

If the next Anthology was Chess Records, which seems highly possible, what albums do we think it could be? VMP has a Top Ten list: The 10 Best Chess Records Albums To Own On Vinyl which is a good starting point. Obviously the titles they've reissued for Classics and Muddy Waters Sings Folk Songs are out, but the others...

Here's my shot in the dark Top 8 based on higher end albums that haven't had recent reissues from reputable labels:

Chuck Berry - St. Louis to Liverpool
John Lee Hooker - Plays and Sings the Blues
Muddy Waters - Plays Big Bill
Etta James - Sings For Lovers
Jimmy Rogers w/ Little Walter & Muddy Waters - Chicago Bound
Little Milton - We're Gonna Make It
Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley's Beach Party
Jack McDuff - Sophisticated Funk

Apologies because I'm sure this has been discussed at length somewhere in this thread, but what is the verdict on the Motown box? Worth it or nah?

It’s fantastic. The design, the theme, the records themselves. All get an A+ from me. I have not listened to any of the podcasts. And I don’t think I’ve posted on the forum, but as a record box set I think it’s great if slightly expensive.

ghostly swim 1 is sold out on the website

i'll just buy shigeto and willits on their site for like 45 bucks

While I probably would pick up at Stax Anthology (if under $300) I wish they would do a lesser known soul label. Though I would definitely be interested in a Stax Country box

Speaking of Stax, cool Staples Singers box announced a few days ago.

"The six studio sets in the collection were cut from the original analog masters by Jeff Powell at Take Out Vinyl. The seventh disc gathers together rarities, non-album singles and several live recordings from the group’s appearance at the famous 1972 Wattstax music festival. The albums are cut on heavyweight 180 gram vinyl, pressed at Memphis Record Pressing."

Staple box-1.jpg

While I probably would pick up at Stax Anthology (if under $300) I wish they would do a lesser known soul label. Though I would definitely be interested in a Stax Country box
Numero group does a phenomenal job with soul and lesser known labels. And their liner notes are award winning. :)

Numero group does a phenomenal job with soul and lesser known labels. And their liner notes are award winning
In my feedback survey for AMP#1 I told them to buy a couple Numero boxsets to see how to put one together properly so it is actually worth the price point they want to charge. Never heard anything back from them, strange ;)

In my feedback survey for AMP#1 I told them to buy a couple Numero boxsets to see how to put one together properly so it is actually worth the price point they want to charge. Never heard anything back from them, strange ;)
I have problems with warping with a lot of Numero boxsets. And my understanding is I’m not alone in that

I have problems with warping with a lot of Numero boxsets. And my understanding is I’m not alone in that
I have been lucky in that I have quite a few NG releases and the warpage amount is minimal, on par with typical press quality standards from the 2010's. Nothing so bad I can't play it, a few bowls. But what I was refering to is the value added stuff, the liner notes, the quality of the books etc.

Speaking of Stax, cool Staples Singers box announced a few days ago.

"The six studio sets in the collection were cut from the original analog masters by Jeff Powell at Take Out Vinyl. The seventh disc gathers together rarities, non-album singles and several live recordings from the group’s appearance at the famous 1972 Wattstax music festival. The albums are cut on heavyweight 180 gram vinyl, pressed at Memphis Record Pressing."

View attachment 21494

7 LPs possibly cut AAA with a deluxe glossy booklet for 150. No podcast or "bonus content" though!

Every time I see a box set like this priced well under $200, I question why I buy these VMP boxes. I know it's a scale thing, Craft isn't limiting their releases, but still.

I already decided that I'm only buying stuff I want and already know i love, Ghostly being the last random thing I'm willing to take a big chance on. Unless they step it up, I'm not going to blindly trust them anymore.

7 LPs possibly cut AAA with a deluxe glossy booklet for 150. No podcast or "bonus content" though!

Every time I see a box set like this priced well under $200, I question why I buy these VMP boxes. I know it's a scale thing, Craft isn't limiting their releases, but still.

And, Staples box is currently $128 for pre-order at Amazon. $18 a record. An even better bargain if you don't mind Amazon.

Back